MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Meltzer put up the numbers once...didn't she throttle Kimbo and all the top UFC TV matches in terms of minute-by-minute viewers gained?

MOST-WATCHED INDIVIDUAL FIGHTS IN U.S. MMA HISTORY

Based on Average Number of Viewers using Minute-by-Minute Ratings

1. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson--- 7.281 million viewers (Aired from 11:27 PM to 11:40 PM)

2. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock--- 6.524 million viewers (Aired from 9:42 PM to 9:45 PM)

3. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Seth Petruzelli vs. Kimbo Slice--- 6.451 million viewers (Aired from 11:08 PM to 11:08 PM)

4. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith--- 5.867 million viewers (Aired from 10.39 PM to 10:57 PM)

5. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Quinton Jackson vs. Dan Henderson--- 5.811 million viewers (Aired from 11:29 PM to 12:03 AM)

6. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young--- 5.508 million viewers (Aired from 10:09 PM to 10:17 PM)

7. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill--- 5.475 million viewers (Aired from 10:41 PM to 11:06 PM)

8. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley--- 5.338 million viewers (Aired from 10:34 PM to 10:44 PM)

9. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobold--- 5.171 million viewers (Aired from 9:45 PM to 9:59 PM)

10. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy Nelson--- 5.154 million viewers (Aired from 10:12 PM to 10:20 PM)

11. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Kendall Grove vs. Chris Price--- 5.100 million viewers (Aired from 9:13 PM to 9:17 PM)

12. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Cheick Kongo vs. Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic--- 5.098 million viewers (Aired from 9:58 PM to 10:24 PM)

13. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Marcus Davis vs. Paul Taylor--- 5.023 million viewers (Aired from 9:35 PM to 9:39 PM)

14. UFC on Spike TV (7/19/2008): Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin--- 4.795 million viewers (Aired from 11:38 PM to 11:38 PM)

15. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Joey Villasenor vs. Phil Baroni--- 4.348 million viewers (Aired from 9:47 PM to 9:48 PM)

16. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Jason MacDonald vs. Ed Herman--- 4.297 millon viewers (Aired from 8:44 PM to 8:47 PM)

17. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Houston Alexander vs. Alessio Sakara--- 4.204 million viewers (Aired from 9:13 PM to 9:14 PM)

18. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Matt Hamill vs. Seth Petruzelli--- 4.007 million viewers (Aired from 8:09 PM to 8:28 PM)

19. UFC on Spike TV (7/19/2008): Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy--- 3.847 million viewers (Aired from 10:58 PM to 11:19 PM)

20. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy--- 3.824 million viewers (Aired from 9:26 PM to 9:27 PM)

Those may be the min-by-min things you were talking about?

However, I don't equate things like that anyway. Because mainly it's a curiosity factor the same as Kimbo. Gina draws because she is a) a woman and b) her public image is a "good-looking" woman who fights. And considering those are on CBS there is a certain... skew... to those results. But they could be going through and say, "Hey, isn't that girl fighting?" And as soon as it's over tune out. I don't view that as "keep watching" that's a curiosity factor coming in to play and they tune out.

And in my experience dealing with mind-numbing morons who are your avg. UFC douche. It's "Ohhh look at her, and she's fighting." And then make stupid remarks about "I'd like to be in her guard" for 12 minutes and then after the fight they are back to, "All right, time for real fighting. MAKE HIM BLEED." Obviously a bit of exaggeration, but not much. I'm not a Gina fan in the slightest, but I'll give anyone the same respect for stepping through those doors and fighting.

Regardless, as I said, I don't equate things in such a manner. So it's not even like I care to see them because I don't care. Not trying to be a douche, but as I said it's a curiosity factor. Hearing those statements as I listed above every time she fights in various places (Home, friends house, bars, arenas) it's the common opinion. It's the curiosity factor where someone may IM, Call, Text someone else "Hey there is this chick fighting" and then they tune in. Yes, it's something many people haven't seen, but it has not equated in consistent viewing or attendance. And even if she started the fight with 2 million watching and gained 3 million (made up figures) that doesn't mean she is, "the best at getting people to watch a show and keep watching it". I never argued she couldn't draw in fans, but as far as tuning in strictly for her she has never been a main event level draw, and this event will draw big as I mentioned above - but it's because of the card, not her. She adds to it most definitely, but it's not because of her. I'm getting off track. Regardless, my point stands and I'll stand by:

when it comes to getting people to watch a show and keep watching it, Gino Carano has been a better draw than anybody who has ever fought on CBS, Showtime, Spike, or any other American network.

Being an absolute laughable and ludicrous statement. --- And I find this a seperate argument about viewers gained. Because of course a sideshow attraction is going to get more min-by-min from those who are curious tuning in. For actual fights (Tito/Ken, etc) that's what people are watching for so they are tuning in before it starts or right when it begins so you won't get a huge min-by-min increase as with something that has people contacting others because of the curiosity factor.

Edited by ACCBiggz

To go back on the topic of UFC 103's main-event, It will probably be Rich Franklin vs ? (Luis Cane, Vitor Belfort...?). But I was thinking of other top draws that are still available... The only one I really think can headline is Matt Hughes. Perhaps against Dan Hardy? Would that be a good main-event?

Other major fighters without scheduled fight? Diego Sanchez? Yushin Okami (vs Sonnen, Belfort, Cote...)?

Nice (possible) card would be:

Main event: Rich Franklin vs Luis Cane

Co-main event: Matt Hughes Vs Dan Hardy

Yushin Okami Vs Vitor Belfort

I think I can help Biggz out. If Carano is a huge draw and brings in viewers (as in people changing channel to watch her) surely you should put her on before the big fights hoping that she's the bait and the guys can be the hook.

I think I can help Biggz out. If Carano is a huge draw and brings in viewers (as in people changing channel to watch her) surely you should put her on before the big fights hoping that she's the bait and the guys can be the hook.

Exactly.

That, plus, if she's going to attract channel surfers, she needs to be on Network Television. Not Showtime/PPV. So really, the whole argument for her main eventing is null and void. If she's there to attract viewers, then her fight should be the first fight on the card, on a network channel like CBS. Not the main event of a card on a channel most people don't get, as well as PPV. No one's going to pay $50 for the novelty of seeing women fight. But if they find it while flicking channels, they'll sure as hell stop and take a look.

To go back on the topic of UFC 103's main-event, It will probably be Rich Franklin vs ? (Luis Cane, Vitor Belfort...?). But I was thinking of other top draws that are still available... The only one I really think can headline is Matt Hughes. Perhaps against Dan Hardy? Would that be a good main-event?

Rich Franklin is a given. They've already contacted him. Luis Cane seems to be a logical thought, but it doesn't do much for Rich and he has been vocal about wanting a big fight. Vitor fights at 185 now, so no, and he'd go right into a contenders fight or a title fight.

I really think if Thiago Alves comes out of UFC 100 with the title and unscathed we could see him headline, but that is unlikely on one or both counts.

Also a good point. However, an analogy I thought of to illustrate my point is Rick Rude on Raw/Nitro. Let's say I watch Raw instead, but Nitro has a big main event (Hogan vs. Sting) and I KNOW I'm watching that, but I'll still watch Raw until then. All of a sudden I get a call from a friend who tells me about Rick Rude... well, I turn it to Nitro. His min-by-min gain will grow because of the novelty of it, but does that make him the biggest draw in the company? No. Just like Carano isn't the biggest TV draw. There are multiple reasons why she gets that min-by-min of course the biggest being the novelty of the fight, but also people waiting to tune in to the whole show because they wanted to watch Lawler/Smith and Kimbo. However, neither here nor there.

My point still remains as it pertains to her headlining this card. You have a legit title, with two top ten Heavyweights - that is your main event. Not a fight with a faux title, two women who haven't made weight and make a mockery of their own specially created division. This huge card isn't hurt or helped by the placement of the fight. It'd only be hurt if they didn't advertise it.

It was reported about twenty pages back, no need to be hard on the guy because he didn't check through the entire thread :rolleyes:

I also agree with most of what Biggz has said regarding the Gina situation. That said, her and Cyborg are the only reason I'll be tuning into that show. Not to downgrade everything else, but because they've never caught my interest, so this is a good thing really. Because I want to see the Gina fight, I'll watch the rest of the show and give it all a chance for once, so it'll more than likely grow on me and make me want to watch more in the future, which is a plus.

The news many fans have been waiting for.

It’s official. Right here.

I can reveal that UFC 100, from the Mandalay Bay Resort, will be live and free on UK television - it will show free to air on satellite channel 433 and ALSO will be streamed free onto UFC.com on Saturday night for 9 hours, a marathon stint, between 9pm and 6am. It will show a programme of the 100 greatest fights in UFC history, followed by the Countdown show, followed by the live event.

Channel 433 on Sky is a dead channel which is becoming a UFC channel for 9 hours only.

To clarify - if you are a Virgin Media or Freeview customer, it is a case of watching it at a friend’s place who has Sky, or watching it completely free on UFC.com online. UFC have been streaming events for years, so it will be good quality.

Enjoy. Tell all who need to know. Send them this link. You heard it here first. More details to follow…

Source: Daily Telegraph

Thank God for that.

Edited by I'm Bringing Bigal Back