MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Grinch

I'm not sure about ratings or anything, but I chose to watch the Strikeforce card, and read the results for WEC. Looking back now, I definitely wouldn't change that.

That's a shame because minus the groin shots it was probably the best card of fighting I have seen this year.

I hear both shows were great, I really think it was a no-lose situation...unless you're in my position of having not watched either. :(

WEC was way better.

Melendez/Thomson saved what would have been a pretty paint-by-numbers Strikeforce card. I enjoyed seeing Jacare and King Mo roll, but it was expected. Le/Smith was more fun if you look at the box score.

I liked both, Njoukoani's knock out of Horodecki was sweet, but the mainevent wasn't as good as I had hoped. But Strikeforce had King Mo looking awesome and then the Melendez/Thomson clash was sweet as a nut, then the Main event was fun to watch and fun to watch what happened to Cung Le at the end (I don't like him :shifty:)

-The next Strikeforce/CBS show in April will likely include Henderson/Shields, Fedor/Werdum, and an Overeem fight to build for Fedor/Overeem on PPV. My worry here is that Overeem is a no-name to the casual audience and he'll be in the same position as Werdum on the last show or Brett Rogers on the EliteXC shows where yeah, he wins, but he doesn't seem like a top guy.

I'll be honest, I'll be amazed if Overeem passes a drugs test, the guy was huge at K-1 Grand Prix.

Doubtful, he hasn't fought in the USA since 2007, and Japan doesn't test for performance enhancing drugs the same as in the USA if it all at professional fights... if he's big naturally its great and he can come in and demolish 9/10 opponents in the USA very soon, but if its not natural it'll take a while to leave his system, and its questionable that he would be the same imposing fighter should he loose substantial levels of muscle mass.

You can cycle off and maintain a decent amount of muscle. Steroids just makes things easier, it doesn't build it by itself. So it's entirely plausible he could/has planned and cycled off in prep of competing in the States. He'll drop some mass as it will be impossible to maintain the same physique whilst doing the cardio preparation in the build up.

Having said that I don't know if I'd want so much muscle mass. It's a huge anaerobic drain and has to effect your cardio. I think after the first round being so muscular would be more a liability than an asset.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Observer notes:

-Don Frye has announced his retirement!

-Don Frye has become a road agent! (Okay not really, he's getting into acting.)

-Frye once had a job interview with Eric Bischoff in the later days of WCW, but Ernest Miller kept pestering Frye about how he was a world karate champion and could beat anyone in UFC, Frye got in his face, and Bischoff soured on him

-Actually the entire mini-bio of Frye is awesome, the sort of thing you should be subscribing to WO/F4W for

-UFC recently met with Takanori Gomi

-Marcus Jones has announced his retirement!

-Shane Nelson, Kevin Burns, and Edgar Garcia have all been cut from UFC. I liked Burns.

-Mike Swick replaces Koscheck against Paulo Thiago

-Latest UFC injury: Joe Silva

-There's also a weird story that has nothing to do with MMA but involves Bill Simmons and Malcolm Gladwell

• Like 2