MMA News and Discussion Thread

Eh, hearing it everywhere, I don't know, until DREAM confirms it I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's not even 100% the Reem can get out of Holland with all the snow storms and shit, in time for the card.

For the interested in what the WEC/UFC merger means for the lightweight division, the (btw excellent) rankings site FightMatrix has a nice article about upcoming matches and where the new (WEC) fighters rank in the UFC rankings (mathematically calculated by a complex algorithm...).

You can find it here: http://www.fightmatrix.com/2010/12/28/ufcs-new-improved-lightweight-division/

I visit the website weekly as it updates the rankings every sunday and it's a good resource to check where certain guys are ranked...

:w00t:

Not quite Duffee's time, but 14 seconds in the first round, and Reem KO'd Duffee

Where did you get that time from? It was 1:19 in the first round apparently.

Bit of both, 0:19 in the first round lol

It seems we're gonna get that Strikeforce Heavyweight Tournament after all!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Emelianenko-Silva-HW-Tourney-Slated-for-Feb-12-29152

quarter finals:

Emelianenko - Silva (february)

Arlovski - Barnett (february)

Werdum - Rogers (march)

(and I guess Overeem-Kharitonov will be added)

If it is indeed true, that would be great! Finally we'd see the top Strikeforce-heavyweights fight each other. Emelianko-Silva & Barnett-Arlovski are a good start...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21972/strikeforce-tourney-takes-shape-with-overeem-vs-werdum-barnett-vs-rogers.mma

Apparently it's:

Fedor Emelianenko Vs Antonio Silva

Andrei Arlovski Vs Sergei Kharitonov

Alistair Overeem Vs Fabricio Werdum

Josh Barnett Vs Brett Rogers

I think those are a bit weird brackets. If I'd have to give those eight a 'seed' I'd probably rank them:

1. Overeem

2. Werdum

3. Emelianenko

4. Silva

5. Barnett

6. Rogers

7. Kharitonov

8. Arlovski (lost to Rogers, Emelianenko & Silva in his last 3 matches so definitaly an underdog)

That would mean my brackets were 1vs2, 3vs4, 5vs6 and 7vs8... that makes in a tournament absolutely no sense at all :-D

However, that's only a small negative note compared to the huge positives in that we'll finally get to see the top 8 heavyweights battle it out. Plus, we get Overeem-Werdum (the match to make after Werdum beat Emelianenko), we get Emelianenko against decent competition (Silva), we get a nice battle between the hard-hitting Rogers and the returning Barnett (who was after all a top-ranked heavyweight before the suspension) and Kharitonov-Arlovski isn't bad either.