MMA News and Discussion Thread

There not dead yet I'm pretty sure i've seen that they are virtually dying but not quite finished yet. The presidents said if they keep continuing the way they are going then they will as they really need money. Really I can see like what you said them getting rid of DREAM and keep K1 as that is where they'll make there money more.

Former UFC Champ Ricco Rodriguez is taking on TUF 10 alumni James McSweeney at BAMMA 5, as well as of course Paul Daley fighting Yuja Shirai for the Welterweight title.

I might actually go to this.

There not dead yet I'm pretty sure i've seen that they are virtually dying but not quite finished yet. The presidents said if they keep continuing the way they are going then they will as they really need money. Really I can see like what you said them getting rid of DREAM and keep K1 as that is where they'll make there money more.

If DREAM goes though, there will have to be some organization that comes in almost immediately to replace it. Japan is too big of a market not to have a domestic MMA promotion. There's a lot of problems with establishing Japanese fighters, since they go off to UFC and Strikeforce and just get their asses kicked. If they stay in Japan though, and have exclusive contracts there it would solve a lot of the problem. But if DREAM goes, pretty quickly there will be someone on that same level to come in and try again.

And I do completely agree with your point about K1.

If DREAM goes though, there will have to be some organization that comes in almost immediately to replace it. Japan is too big of a market not to have a domestic MMA promotion. There's a lot of problems with establishing Japanese fighters, since they go off to UFC and Strikeforce and just get their asses kicked. If they stay in Japan though, and have exclusive contracts there it would solve a lot of the problem. But if DREAM goes, pretty quickly there will be someone on that same level to come in and try again.

And I do completely agree with your point about K1.

Yeh after PRIDE collapsing MMA in Japan took quite a hit, the problem as you said is that they don't normally stay exclusive in Japan as theres always the question of if you want to be known as one of the best then you need to come over to the states and most of them just get outwrestled. The Yakuza scandal and just loss of interest in Japan has also been the problem which is why K1 is more popular, Overeem is managing to ride the popularity he's gathering from being in K1 and MMA to make a name over there, but lack of homegrown talent as well hasn't helped. With the UFC also expanding in the Bantamweight and Featherweight it doesn't help either but if the UFC could become more popular in Japan and maybe have an event there I think it could benefit Japanese MMA on a whole. Its just creating that interest again

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Even K-1's falling in popularity now that the old stars are either retired or ineffectual. I think combat sports as a whole are about to enter a down period over there.

Like MPH said, even K-1 is down (which is actually hurts my training a LOT if K-1 ends up going under completely). FEG USA figureheads can't get actual FEG directors (of even the President) to communicate with them at this point. The writing is not on the wall at this point, it's set in stone.

Eddie, I'll look into it for you.

davidmarrio, FEG is busted, Dream is a dead and Shinya is in negotiations to sign exclusively to Strikeforce instead of retiring. Guess he changed his mind. Shame he has to give up his grappling pants advantage.

Aoki hasn't worn the pants in ages.

Eddie, I'll look into it for you.

davidmarrio, FEG is busted, Dream is a dead and Shinya is in negotiations to sign exclusively to Strikeforce instead of retiring. Guess he changed his mind. Shame he has to give up his grappling pants advantage.

Aoki hasn't worn the pants in ages.

It's called "tongue in cheek",Quom. Fueled by the controversy surrounding the pants during his Strikeforce debut.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Tim Sylvia knocked on his fat ass in Kansas last night :lol:

Looking forward to tonight. Big Roger Gracie fan, big Robbie Lawler fan (hell, big Souza fan too), don't care so much about the other fights but still should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mr. potato pimp

Yeah Fedor's just too small and too old for a top-flight MMA heavyweight division in 2011.

Another really good show though, what's up with Strikeforce? Nobody ever disputed that Coker was a great promoter when he was just running shows in San Jose that were drawing bigger crowds than UFC, and the company's on a run of momentum again. Maybe CBS interfered with the matchmaking a lot more than we thought?