MMA News and Discussion Thread

Biggz has been gone for how long now, and people still keep bringing him up. Grow up guys.

I personally found that Daniel Cormier didn't really look that impressive. He out-struck a guy in Jeff Monson who will never be confused for a striker. It was a smart game-plan, but it hardly made Cormier out to be anything other than a prospect who played it safe in a fight that would have been incredibly dangerous for him on the ground.

Jorge Masvidal looked much more impressive, out-striking KJ Noons, who in my opinion has the best boxing in mixed martial arts, period. THAT was impressive.

Josh Barnett looked extremely good out there against a dangerous opponent, and is more fired up than I think I've ever seen him before. The rest of the Grand Prix should be exciting.

The main event was entertaining to me, because of the chess-match that it was. Neither guy wanted to play into the strength of the other, but at some points in the fight had to do just that. That said, I can definitely see where a lot of people wouldn't have enjoyed it... but this is a sport. It's not a contest where two guys stand in front of each other and just take turns punching each other in the face. There were a lot of good striking exchanges, and I think a lot of people are overlooking that it was actually quite an interesting fight, just because Werdum kept trying to pull guard.

Hardly Strikeforce's best show, but it wasn't a dud by any means.

Guest mr. potato head

I'd say it was a dull, boring fight. I won't be like the crowd and put all the blame on Werdum because he wouldn't slug it out - why would he? It was a boring fight, but both fighters were to blame for that.

Guest mr. potato head

Also, fights are usually better when you get two guys with the same strength against each other, because then that strength cancels out and they just give up and slug it out most of the time.

I'd say it was a dull, boring fight. I won't be like the crowd and put all the blame on Werdum because he wouldn't slug it out - why would he? It was a boring fight, but both fighters were to blame for that.

You wouldn't put all the blame on Werdum? Seriously? He figured out he couldn't take Overeem down, and should have realized after the first couple times that he couldn't manage to pull guard.

, he should have at least changed up his tactics. Instead he started simply laying around and basically begging for Overeem to go to the ground with him, which is retarded. He took forever to get back to his feet when he was standing, and every single time Overeem approached him he dropped.

Other than that though, Maszvidal is a fucking beast!

You wouldn't put all the blame on Werdum? Seriously? He figured out he couldn't take Overeem down, and should have realized after the first couple times that he couldn't manage to pull guard.

, he should have at least changed up his tactics. Instead he started simply laying around and basically begging for Overeem to go to the ground with him, which is retarded. He took forever to get back to his feet when he was standing, and every single time Overeem approached him he dropped.

Nevermind basically begging, for the first time in a while, we can use the word literally.

Guest mr. potato head

There were plenty of times - including most of the third round - when Werdum was engaging while standing, hell Werdum actually outstruck Overeem in round three, and Overeem never opened up or showed any real inclination to do anything but fight an extremely cautious fight.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I have a habit of putting basically in front of everything like that. But seriously, he actually laid there, put his hands together and actually pleaded. It was completely retarded. Just because he caught the tank known as Fedor like that doesn't mean everyone is going to fall for it. Hell, now that Fedor got caught, you can almost guarantee anyone who saw that match is going to avoid it at all possible causes. Overeem was able to do just that and practically manhandle him everywhere else.

There were plenty of times - including most of the third round - when Werdum was engaging while standing, hell Werdum actually outstruck Overeem in round three, and Overeem never opened up or showed any real inclination to do anything but fight an extremely cautious fight.

I will give you that but hell, by the third round Overeem was so frustrated with Werdum's lack of fight that he pretty much didn't know what he was going to get. He probably figured the same thing that most people watching did, the minute he started to strike Werdum would go back to his crybaby tactics of laying on the ground.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I have a habit of putting basically in front of everything like that. But seriously, he actually laid there, put his hands together and actually pleaded. It was completely retarded. Just because he caught the tank known as Fedor like that doesn't mean everyone is going to fall for it. Hell, now that Fedor got caught, you can almost guarantee anyone who saw that match is going to avoid it at all possible causes. Overeem was able to do just that and practically manhandle him everywhere else.

I really fail to see why Werdum should be blamed for not willing to stand up with Overeem but Overeem shouldn't be blamed for not willing to fight on the ground with Werdum. If he really 'manhandled' Werdum, why not just ground & pound him. Jump in his guard and show that you're the better man. Except on the ground, he wasn't.

It was pretty clear that both Werdum & Overeem knew what their strengths and their opponents weaknesses were. Nothing retarded about that. Not everyone should be a Leonard Garcia who smiles after he gets hit. :wacko: That's what I'd call 'retarded'.

(and the praying: he was just trying to get in Overeem's head I guess. 'Dare' him to get on the ground with him. As this is Mixed Martial Arts and not Standing Martial Arts, I don't really see the problem).

So I agree with Mr. Potato Head. Don't blame the fighters, blame the fight.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mr. potato head

Big night last night. For Shark Fights, Jake Rosholt beat Matt Horwich and Ricco Rodriguez demolished some guy named after a TNA wrestler. In DREAM, Takaya won a split decision over Miyata, Tokoro a unanimous decision over Imanari, Mousasi a first-round TKO over Izumi, Kawajiri a first-round TKO over Drew Fickett, and Zaromskis also won.

Apparently Kimbo's finally making his pro boxing debut. I don't get it, how is he such a ratings-magnet? Just because of some backyard fights? The whole Season 10 of UF was baffling to me, as I can't really see why the fuck people are tuning in just to see this guy.

He's an internet celebrity. People know him as the guy who knocks out people in backyards for money, and the idea of him actually making a career as a professional fighter lends itself to a Cinderella story. I myself would actually like to see him do well, I did think he was a thug and nothing more but I was pleasantly surprised by his attitude and work ethic in TUF. I think he'll fair better in boxing than in MMA, he isn't going to be taken down and gets his puncher's chance.

Apparently Kimbo's finally making his pro boxing debut. I don't get it, how is he such a ratings-magnet? Just because of some backyard fights? The whole Season 10 of UF was baffling to me, as I can't really see why the fuck people are tuning in just to see this guy.

Euh... how is season 10 of TUF a bad one? It's probably one of the better of the last years. Matt Mittrione is 5-0, there's Roy Nelson, Brandon Schaub (4-0 since the finale beating Cro Cop & Gonzaga!), Jon Madsen, ...

Then Kimbo beat Houston Alexander (who won his last three fights, one against Soukoudjou).

People like to say Kimbo is overrated. I think he may actually be underrated. No, he'll never be a UFC or Strikeforce champion. Probably not even Shark Fights, DREAM or Tachi Palace Fights champion. But he's a decent fighter, Youtube gimmick or not. The two guys that defeated him in UFC were Roy Nelson and Matt Mitrione... perhaps his release was a bit too soon.