MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest mr. potato head

In other female MMA news, Miesha Tate vs. Ronda Rousey appears to be in the works in a battle of two women who actually have the sex appeal TEOL claims to see in Cyborg.

Ronda Rousey looks pretty and smiley, but I am acutely aware she wants to tear my arm off and then knock me out with said arm.

Also that fight is good, I can see why Sarah Kauffman is complaining she didn't get her rematch ahead of Rousey, but at the end of the day Rousey has a bit of a name at the minute and it would be foolish for Strikeforce not to capitalise on that. The fight with Tate is one I am looking forward to watching.

Guest mr. potato head

Sponsorship money helps a bit, but most have day jobs. Even a lot of lower-tier UFC fighters have day jobs. Some of those jobs are as personal trainers or owning gyms, but others are more common - I think Chris Lytle is still a firefighter to this day, Shane Carwin's an engineer and Seth Petruzelli runs an ice cream shop.

I can't imagine no-names, by very definition, are making much at all from sponsorship money... but yeah. It's just like pro wrestling. It's only a full-time gig for the top 1% or so.

Most at that level would only really get sponsorship in terms of equipment (i.e. trunks) instead of money, wouldn't they?

If that.

I'm talking about the kind of guys that are fighting on the undercards of the pro wrestling/MMA hybrid indy shows where the poster's got a picture of Greg Valentine from 1991 on it and reads "8 exciting fights!"

Of course, no names listed.

If Be has a different definition though, I'm confident the answer to his question remains the same.

I think it depends on what you are doing and how seriously you take it. Some guys (look at Guillard's record) take a fight a month or whatever hoping that they will make a name super fast and get signed (or use it as a weeks wage). For others it's more a hobby rather than a job. If you watch regional MMA quite often they are dead on their feet before the first round is finished. It's the same as boxing or kick boxing.

• 2 weeks later...