PFA Awards

Lord Nibbler

Fabregas supplies the best ball in the Premiership, and may possibly have the best vision - all at his young age. He sees the game happen before anybody else does.

Rio shouldn't be there, Carvalho should.

Vidic I agree with, Serbia FTW.

Midfield is sketchy because you can take out players, and insert players and it's still awesome. Fact is most midfielders play completely different games to each other, some hold, some are attacking, some are aggressive wingers, some are conservative wingers, some are just downright shite wingers (Downing I'm looking at you).

Fact is, it's entirely plausible to pick a team without it being a total Man Utd fellatio affair.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with 9 of the players. McCarthy or Yakubu instead of Berbatov and David James instead of Van Der Sar. And I'm a United fan, by the way. Unsure about Gerrard though, I'd possibly go for Essien instead.

Edit: I've changed my mind. I now think Rooney instead of McCarthy/Yakubu/Berbatov. :shifty:

Edited by Anothername

I agree with 9 of the players. McCarthy or Yakubu instead of Berbatov and David James instead of Van Der Sar. And I'm a United fan, by the way. Unsure about Gerrard though, I'd possibly go for Essien instead.

Edit: I've changed my mind. I now think Rooney instead of McCarthy/Yakubu/Berbatov. :shifty:

Wow, I nearly liked you. >_>

Personally, I would have maybe just picked Berbatov over McCarthy, only because he does more for the team. Benni has scored more I think, and more league goals instead of ones against European minnows, and cost like at 1/3 of Berbs' fee at the most. I also happen to be very biased.

I think Berbatov's managed to give the Tottenham game a whole new dimension though, something that Mido couldn't. He's got the aerial ability, but he's also got great, quick feet and is often a clinical finisher. The main problem with him is that he often has a habit of just going missing during a match, which doesn't help because when he doesn't play well, the whole team seems to suffer. While Spurs haven't done as well this season as they did last season with the Mido/Keane/Defoe combination I think they were - at one point - playing the most attractive football in the league. Then the defence really just fell apart without King and it all went a bit tits up.

It's a shame for Defoe, because he seems to be relegated to late substitute duty and he probably has the ability to play 20 full games a season in the Premiership, including games where he is subbed and comes on as one. So I expect to see him move away at some point in the near future. McCarthy has been really good, but then again you could also make claims for Martins, Kuyt, Crouch, Rooney, Tevez, Jon Stead ¬_¬ etc.

I think Berbatov has brought more to the plate than what McCarthy has. While the Premiership has seen plenty of great strikers arrive I think Berbatov has came and pretty much shaped the Spurs squad around himself, rather than fit into the squad like so many others. If you picked McCarthy then you could realistically have picked a bunch of other strikers as well that all fell into the same mould.

No denying McCarthy has been immense though, I still love him like I did when he scored for Porto. He doesn't seem as prolific as he did there, but he's still a great player despite playing for Rovers >_<

For me, there's just too much United in there. It's a strange argument but it sort of goes against what the awards are about really. Same with Ronaldo winning both awards. Yeah he was good, but it's just not...right. I'd go for...

Player of the Year - Ronaldo

Young Player of the Year - Foster

GK - Friedel (The most underrated player the games ever known)

DR - Eboué (He's one of those players I really noticed this season, while Neville kind of goes under the radar sometimes)

DL - Baines (If anyone from the Wigan side doesn't deserve a relegation dogfight it's him)

DC - Vidic (Overcame a poor start at the club to have a tremendous season)

DC - Carvalho (Chelseas unsung hero. On his day is a better tackler of the ball than Terry, maybe Ferdinand too)

MR - Agbonlahor (Another candidate for young player of the year, fizzled out slightly at the end, but was key for Villa throughout)

ML - Ronaldo (Err, yeah)

MC - Scholes (Gone off the boil in recent weeks, but has generally been consistently excellent over the months. Especially after that eye injury)

MC - Gilberto Silva/Michael Essien (Really hard to choose here as they've both done their job really well and dragged their teams to victories on occasions)

FC - Drogba (The top goalscorer in the league but he's been so much more)

FC - McCarthy (Basically he's scoring goals for fun in a team that's not as strong as the Spurs one, so he goes in over Berbatov)

Honourable Mentions

Keane - Spurs

Berbatov - Spurs

Montella - Fulham

Shorey - Reading

Sidwell - Reading

Martins - Newcastle

Pedersen - Blackburn

Clearly the manager of the season is Steve Coppell. Anyone who says Ferguson at this moment in time is a highly optimistic United fan. He only deserves it if they get the quadruple.

Anyone who says Ferguson at this moment in time is a highly optimistic United fan. He only deserves it if they get the quadruple.
So he can only get it if he does the impossible? ;)

I like your logic behind your McCarthy vote, but as for Pedersen? When he wants to be he is awesome, but don't think he was pre-christmas for us this season.

EDIT

GK - Friedel (The most underrated player the games ever known)

Yeah, I like you. Alot. :wub:

Edited by 9 to 5

Van Der Sar, Evra and Gerrard are really poor choices.

Neville and Ferdinand you could argue about IMO.

The fact that Essien isn't in there is atrocious. Little less so, but I agree with whoever said Carvalho.

As for the overall award, its still retarded to have the same player nominated in both.

I meant triple. :shifty:

As for Pedersen, I was thinking about this the other day while watching highlights. There's a few players in the league who just seem to be involved in everything. Every attack you hear his name mentioned at least once, same with Sidwell and more obviously Lampard/Gerrard.

I meant triple. :shifty:

As for Pedersen, I was thinking about this the other day while watching highlights. There's a few players in the league who just seem to be involved in everything. Every attack you hear his name mentioned at least once, same with Sidwell and more obviously Lampard/Gerrard.

Oh yeah, when Pedersen is on form he is awesome, everything you want in a winger aside maybe lacking some pace. Plus he can take free kicks. Just tends to go missing if he doesn't have a good start to a game. Also, needs to work on his heading. :(

I'll be honest, CM:00-01 gave a little bias there with Montella, but actually thinking about it. He's played in Serie A what? All his career? Then he comes across after being left out of his side, and not exactly to one of the big teams and seems to have adapted really well and quickly. Look at Shevchenko at Chelsea who's in a similar boat. He's playing with some of the worlds best players and is struggling to score.

Edited by wilson316

See, I'm glad Defoe's on the bench because Robbie Keane's been on fire, especially over the second half of the season. We're the first club he's been at and actually STAYED at and is one of our longest term current players. Just to see him score against Arsenal this week shows how much it means to him. His pairing with Berbatov has become better than Defoe/Berbatov and he works far more for the team than Defoe. He's been an excellent captain in King's absence and he always gives 110% for us which shows why he's had such an excellent season. I wouldn't think twice about putting Keane in the lineup before Defoe.