(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Except that Children Of Bodom are simply just average in their music. :/ Anyways good new arrived metal bands, at least on the album front, is Cobalt. They have been around since like 2002 and now they have finally released a studio album, called Gin. And it is fucking glorious. So everyone who likes a vicious black metal attack, go check out Gin. Also, is Crack The Skye any good? I have been meaning to check it out just haven't gotten around to it.

Finally, what the fuck are Amon Amarth doing in a Traditional Heavy Metal category?

Besides Children of Bodom, Mastodon, and Behemoth, I haven't heard any real good new metal bands in a while.

You haven't looked hard enough, then. There is a shit load of good stuff out there, its just a case of finding it.

Except that Children Of Bodom are simply just average in their music. :/ Anyways good new arrived metal bands, at least on the album front, is Cobalt. They have been around since like 2002 and now they have finally released a studio album, called Gin. And it is fucking glorious. So everyone who likes a vicious black metal attack, go check out Gin. Also, is Crack The Skye any good? I have been meaning to check it out just haven't gotten around to it.

Finally, what the fuck are Amon Amarth doing in a Traditional Heavy Metal category?

Crack The Skye by my reckoning is really good, but I think it could split fans down the middle to some degree.

And Tristy, going off the earlier list, I'd also recommend earlier Unearth.

I've been meaning to check out that Gin album since reading an article on the band in Decibel.

The past few days I've really been trying to find some new death metal that isn't just breakdown after breakdown. I've found a few good things, Trigger the Bloodshed and this other band Devourment aren't bad. I grabbed the new Agorophobic Nosebleed album today so I gotta give that a listen, apparently it's pretty good from what I've heard.

I've not heard a lot of their stuff, but I thought Trigger The Bloodshed kinda fell into that new breed of Death Metal that a lot of people are turning their nose up at? I dunno.

I've downloaded the new Candlemass, Isis and Samael, so when I get a chance to listen to something I've got some shit there for me.

The stuff I've heard so far by Trigger the Bloodshed is pretty good and I think they have a little more traditional influence then a lot of the newer bands. Though I haven't heard the whole album yet.

I listened to the Agoraphobic Nosebleed album last night and it's the best I've heard from them. The new singer can really scream. She's got an awesome voice on her. Excellent addition to the band.

I recently started getting back into WASP again, starting from their self titled chronologically through to Dominator (most recent). Just finished listening to The Crimson Idol and I remembered why I love this band. TCI is one of the best metal albums ive ever listened to.

Whats your thoughts on the band?

I recently started getting back into WASP again, starting from their self titled chronologically through to Dominator (most recent). Just finished listening to The Crimson Idol and I remembered why I love this band. TCI is one of the best metal albums ive ever listened to.

Whats your thoughts on the band?

I've only really heard Animal (Fuck Like A Beast) - which is a pretty good, fun sleaze rock song. I have no clue about the rest of their catalogue.

The Crimson Idol is a classic. Not among the best albums recorded, but just a fun heavy metal disc.

I've seen WASP live and they certainly pull no punches. It's the same shock rock approach you would expect from listening to the lyrics.

A few titbits for all us metal heads that I picked up from metalstorm.ee:

Upcoming Releases

21.05 Stratovarius - Polaris

27.05 Alestorm - Black Sails At Midnight

29.05 Týr - By The Light Of The Northern Star

23.06 Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

23.06 Killswitch Engage - Killswitch Engage (although, I read that this was a week later elsewhere)

26.06 Korpiklaani - Karkelo

There's also a fair few albums with no date that are being estimated for the next few months. You can read the full list here.

I'll almost certainly pick up Alestorm, Týr and Dream Theater's stuff. Any new stuff you guys interested in?

Týr have put up two songs from the new album onto their myspace. 'Northern Gate' seems pretty decent, and I'm really, really liking 'Hold The Heathen Hammer High'.

If we are talking new releases this month and the next few months are looking awesome. 2009 is turning out to be a great album year. Agoraphobic Nosebleed already put theirs out and I think I have heralded Cobalt in here before. I mean, look at the list!

24.04 God Dethroned - Passiondale

27.04 Cult Of Luna - Fire Was Born (So what if its a DVD? <_<)

05.05 Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions

08.05 Vomitory - Carnage Euphoria

27.05 Alestorm - Black Sails At Midnight

01.06 Pantheon I - Worlds I Create

02.06 1349 - Revelations Of The Black Flame

26.06 Korpiklaani - Karkelo

And then there are the yet-to-have-release-date stuff by both Pelican, Fjoergyn, Devin Townsend and Kronos. Uh, and also a rumored Slayer album! This is going to be a fucking great year for metal.

There's also Wintersun's album if they actually get around to finishing it :D

Did anyone else on here get the limited Slayer 7" that came out on Saturday for Record Store Day? I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet but the packaging is awesome. It comes in what appears to be a cold war era Russian military document and the vinyl is see through red. Pretty cool of a band at that level to put out something limited to only 1000 copies. I'm hoping I'll have time to listen to all the new stuff I've got recently tonight.

I also pre ordered the upcoming Graf Orlock vinyl though it's already leaked to the web. I haven't listened to it but I can't imagine it's anything less than awesome.