(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

All of the ones mentioned so far, yeah. The little tiny stores might not have Dream Theatre or Symphony X, but the bigger ones certainly will. At least their latest albums.

Talking of mentioning bands (:shifty:) a band of pure awesome has been brought to my attention. I'll quote the post:

A very firm recommendation for all from me now, of a band I recently discovered and love to bits. A Finnish band called Waltari.

"Alternative metal" is a term that gets used -far- too often, usually to describe bands that are actually some kind of alternative rock with some extra distortion/aggression. There are very few cases where it's actually appropriate (which, when you think about what the term must surely mean, makes sense). Waltari is one of them. They're a nightmare to really describe, but your best bet is to think of something along the lines of Faith No More.

There's part of a Metal Observer review that puts their sound down well:

"Which other band manages to combine Pop, Techno, Death Metal, Grindcore, Folk, nursery rhymes and classical on one album and sound pretty spaced out, no question, but still not disjointed? The Finns once more live up to their reputation of not setting any borders, but rather doing whatever they just feel like, no matter how odd it may be. Let’s see, what we have on this CD’s ingredient list (in random order): Alternative Rock, Punk, Thrash Metal, Grindcore, Breakbeat, Techno, Pop, Industrial, Gothic and of course any combination of them."

If you're in the mood for something progressive/avant-garde that doesn't sound at all pretentious or overly showy, something that is accessible and fun without being even remotely generic, this is a band for you.

http://www.myspace.com/waltarimusic (as if six songs can adequately sum them up, but they're good nonetheless)

They're brilliant. They're on Spotify too, so you can listen to more on there. Wish I Could Heal is pretty much my favourite song at the moment. Sometimes it feels a bit like you've got multiple Youtube windows open with a different band in each of them, yet it still sounds good.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Hey guys,

I love Rock and Metal, etc. But I don't really have a huge collection. All I have is three "Disturbed" albums, Death Magnetic by Metallica, and No World For Tommorow from Coheed & Cambria.

Can anyone recommend some other bands I should check out?

Here's a couple classic and essential heavy metal albums:

Dio - Holy Diver

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Guns'n'Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Judas Priest - British Steel

My personal favourite albums from 90's and beyond:

Savatage - The Wake of Magellan

Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side

Valley's Eve - Deception of Pain

Axxis - Back to the Kingdom

Nightwish - Once

Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider

Edited by lari

Should I just be able to find these bands in Virgin, HMV, etc?

They should be - mostly.

One good way to check out bands is to Wiki their stuff and then youtube them - it's how I find out about most bands. :)

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it effects me and Liam at least. In Flames have cancelled their UK tour. :( Apparently Cancer Bats are still coming over, but so far the only dates they seem to be doing are;

20 Apr 2009 20:00

King Tuts Glasgow, Scotland

3 May 2009 20:00

Academy 3 Manchester, Northeast

4 May 2009 20:00

Academy 2 Birmingham, South

5 May 2009 20:00

Academy 2 Bristol, South

6 May 2009 20:00

Wedgewood Rooms Portsmouth, South

BOOOOO!!!! At Newcastle being shafted. Wanted to see Cancer Bats just as much as In Flames.

Bollocks. All my live stuff this year keeps getting fucked. My Fulham game got abandoned, and now this. Got any idea what to do with regards to refunds?

Presume it's as simple as contacting the venue and being all "OI! BITCHTITS! MONEY BACK!"

Stratovarius have always been an... interesting... band. I mean, my favourite song of theirs is one of my favourite songs ever (Soul of a Vagabond), yet my least favourite song of theirs is on the same album (fucking Papillon). So yeah... even on the same album my opinion of them is mixed, let alone between different ones. However, since it turns out that Tolkki was a cock, happy bands usually = better albums. See: Nightwish.

Anyone got the new Hammerfall album yet? It's worth it simply for the My Sharona cover. :shifty: Joacim so could've been an 80's power-pop star ¬_¬ (yeah, 1979 isn't 80's, sue me). Also, Pontus is awesome. Mainly because he's called Pontus. But also because he seems to have at least a little bit of enthusiasm on backing vocals, which Steeeeeefan sorely lacked. Templars of Steel still cracks me up (the One Crimson Night version anyway). "Let your voice speak for the..." *incoherent bored-sounding mumbling*

Edited by Farmer Reil

Going back to Ensiferum for a moment... I quite like One More Magic Potion. Epic.

One More Magic Potion is awesome, just for the visual it gives me of a band of battle-weary vikings trudging up to a house and bothering to knock on the door. Then sitting down to tea with an old woman, before going outside to dance and sing songs with trolls and goblins and stuff. Then, presumably, slaughtering everything, robbing the woman blind and going about their business. :shifty:

nWo, if you don't usually like Folk Metal but you do like Ensiferum, do yourself a huge favour and pick up Kiuas' 'Spirit of Ukko' album. The vocals are fairly harsh, without being growly, and the lyrics are along the same lines (Finnish folklore and Norse mythology and stuff), but the guitars are much more thrash/prog metal than folk.

Edited by Farmer Reil