(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Don't like In Flames at all, but I'll second Inflikted (Cavalera Conspiracy album). Reminds me of older Sepultura stuff - pre Chaos AD - just a bit more polished. Pretty top notch album.

Just looked into some new bands, deffinatly worth checking out.

THe top of the list goes to Spellblast. If you liked old Elvenking you will LOVE these guys.

Other good ones are Eidolon, Bathory, Gamma Ray, Ensiferum, Nevermore, Paragon and Virgin Steel.

I also got more Flotsam and Jetsam, those guys are amazing.

• 1 month later...

My mate played me some tracks by a band called Suma the other day. The tracks were 'papertiger' and 'It's Broken'. Are they representative of the bands sound? 'Cos they were pretty good.

I will now hype Carnivore Diprosopus. Seriously, these guys are the shits. First of all they make wild, uncontrollable and brutal Death Metal but that is only what is partially great about them. Their lyrics are hilarious as they have no real grasp of the English. Sure, they can structure a sentence and write lyrics but it just halts with the grammatics and corret pronounciation (sp?). But they are awesome for having an intro to a song where the lead singer says "I will rape you with this bottle."

What? <_<

Just picked up the new Testament album, the Formation of Damnation. Got the version with the bonus DVD.

I'm not a huge thrash metal fan, but I do like the old Skolnick era Testament. When the band was more technical and frantic thrash and not the brutal 'wall-of-noise' Testament of the latter years. Picked this up for nostalgic reasons mostly, because Skolnick is back with the band and the last I saw them live they sounded good.

Didn't even give it a listen yet because I'm watching hockey, but I will soon. I now have all six of Skolnick's Testament albums. And the album he did with Savatage. Does that make me a fanboy? I suppose it's more like I'm a fan of anything Savatage-related.

Speaking of Savatage, I also got the new Circle II Circle. Same thing, didn't listen to it yet. Got the limited edition with a bonus track and a video.

• 2 months later...

Speaking of Black Metal, everyone should check out 1349. They might not have any new material out as of yet but Hellfire from 2005 is fucking awesome. Just the esential of what raw and evil Black Metal should be.

We'll move onwards under the glare of a red skyline set alight by church burnings.

I finally managed to track down more material from a Greek black metal band called Uranus. For the longest time I only managed to obtain the "Clang Of Lances" demo, which wracked my nerves because it is so short and so excellent that I wanted more. "Doctrines Of Immortality" is some of the best folk-influenced black metal I have managed to hear.

Now all I need is to find the rest of their recordings.

• 2 weeks later...