(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

The new Meshuggah is awesome for those talking about it, but I'm a big fan of what they do, so may be a little biased.

Finally got around to checking out Primordial's latest, and is really impressive. Got quite a lot of accolades when it came out, and was well worth my time.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, next bout of recommendations...

I've found myself absolutely hooked on "Beyond The Dark Sun" by Wintersun. Could anyone throw out recommendations for similar stuff? Thanks muchly.

So, despite knowing I'd like neither band, I decided to get an album by Nile and 'Scum' by Napalm Death.

Both are even more terrible than I thought they'd be. But at least I tried. The annoying thing is, Nile would be pretty awesome if the "vocalist" would shut the fuck up. The music is pretty good, then he has to go and vomit over the microphone and ruin everything :shifty:

Sooo, can anyone recommend a band with Nile-like guitars and shit, but with no vocalist, or a vocalist that actually sings, rather than this "uhhhhhhhhhhuhhghghgh!" shit?

I don't mind Bal-Sagoth, Byron doesn't 'sing', but you can at least understand him (and the lyrics are great).

Dimmu, similarly, are fine. Not singing, but you can hear the lyrics.

Nile just take the fucking piss though. Why bother even writing lyrics? :shifty:

Because you actually CAN follow Nile-lyrics, with a bit of practice? Come on, at least he growls what's written on the damn lyrics sheet, unlike bands like Devourment or Wormed.

Off the top of my head, it is rather hard to come up with bands that'd play as fast and heavy as Nile without having growls deeper than a grave. However, some suggestions as follows:

Kataklysm

Jungle Rot

Unleashed

Ancient Rites

Vital Remains

Melechesh

Vesania

Out of the bunch, Unleashed and Ancient Rites are the ones with the cleanest vocals. Vital Remains is most like Nile music-wise, and Glen Benton's bellows are much more distinguishable than Sanders and co.'s. Finally, Melechesh and Vesania are more on the black metal side of things, but fast and fucking badass. Also, no death metal growls.

P.S. screw you for dissing "Scum"

a)Reily, what did you really expect from Nile?

and

b)Reily, what did you really expect from 'Scum'?

Nile are one of the heavier death metal bands out there (although offering mild respite with the guitars), and 'Scum' was one of the biggest influences on the extreme metal scene. For someone who likes oh-so-widdly guitars and nut-tightening-vocals, it was always going to be a dissapointment :P

I can't stand the vocalist.

Loved Joey Comeau. Carnival Diablos and Waking the Fury are the finest thrash (or groove?) metal albums of the decade. Absolutely on par with any classic Annihilator album, ie. Alice in Hell or Never Neverland.

Got a lot of travel the next two days, so grabbed Cobalt 'Eater Of Birds', Alestorm 'Captain Morgan's Revenge', Norther's 'N' (the last two I'm seeing support Turisas), the new Mars Volta, Genghis Tron and some Ion Dissonance, for a bit of a mix on my journey.

Alestorm 'Captain Morgan's Revenge'

Much love for Alestorm. Although you're a cunt for getting to see them with Turisas :( They're playing the most ass-backwards UK tour ever. I mean, Northampton? Brighton? Norwich? Bah. Where's Bristol? :|

They're playing Sheffield which is all I care about. :D

Any idea on who is supporting Sonata Arctica on their tour in April?

I recently checked out a bunch of new bands, mostly thrash as always for me. So I checked out Exhorder from the states, Morbid Saint, Kat and Turbo from Poland (both fantastic), a Maiden esque group known as Attacker (not so thrashy), and Angelwitch (because I have an affinity for thrash bands that have the word witch in their name, and many of them do).

I think that Kat is my favorite thus far, they have this fantastic song called "Metal and Hell". It doesn't get anymore metal than that.

The Morbid Saint band I checked out just because of the band name, and they turned out to be fucking awesome.

So there I went, down to my local record store who quite often stack up on more obscure bands and records and sell them at reasonable prices. Lo and behold, there was something worth buying (namely a split between Anarchus and C.S.S.O, a split between Black Witchery and Conqueror and a Conjuration album), which found their way into my backpack.

Turns out when I took them to work today that someone had taped a little reminder note from our local baptist church on every CD. Thankfully, not on the bottom, but still. I spent my lunch scraping those bastards off.