(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Nice!!!

I have just the Savatage stuff and TSO related and have seen them live... TSO that is...

Need to get more Pain and the others.... Very impressed

"Edge of Thorns" is one of the greatest songs, you agree?

Dead Winter Dead is a brilliant Concept album....

And I use the song "Christmas Eve Sareavo(?)" as my answering machine music every year....

• 4 weeks later...

A'ight, let's resurrect this bitch up in here.

Year 2007 in metal so far - what are your thoughts on it? I've personally scored some great releases this year, but absolutely the rockingest have been Korpiklaani's "Tervaskanto" for some pretty obvious reasons, and Kronos' "The Hellenic Terror". I was pretty big on Vital Remains' "Icons Of Evil" earlier this year, but Kronos came and completely stamped their balls out on the brutal death metal front. Haven't heard Nile's most recent effort yet, though, so there might be some contest after all.

Haven't had a chance to check that many black metal releases this year - closest has been Behemoth's "The Apostasy", which totally rocks balls, and Marduk's "Rom 5:12" which was a slight disappointment for me especially because the last album was pretty fucking great. Also speaking of disappointments, what the fuck happened to Leng Tch'e? Three brutal and innovative grind releases and then comes "Marasmus", which was just a pile of Belgian crap. Probably the biggest letdown in consistency any band has ever made.

Also, Immortal are going to release a new album next year. Hot diggity damn.

A'ight, let's resurrect this bitch up in here.

Year 2007 in metal so far - what are your thoughts on it? I've personally scored some great releases this year, but absolutely the rockingest have been Korpiklaani's "Tervaskanto" for some pretty obvious reasons, and Kronos' "The Hellenic Terror". I was pretty big on Vital Remains' "Icons Of Evil" earlier this year, but Kronos came and completely stamped their balls out on the brutal death metal front. Haven't heard Nile's most recent effort yet, though, so there might be some contest after all.

Haven't had a chance to check that many black metal releases this year - closest has been Behemoth's "The Apostasy", which totally rocks balls, and Marduk's "Rom 5:12" which was a slight disappointment for me especially because the last album was pretty fucking great. Also speaking of disappointments, what the fuck happened to Leng Tch'e? Three brutal and innovative grind releases and then comes "Marasmus", which was just a pile of Belgian crap. Probably the biggest letdown in consistency any band has ever made.

Also, Immortal are going to release a new album next year. Hot diggity damn.

BLS? You don't find their new stuff to be terrible, bland, going-through-the-motions metal?

Zakk Wylde hasn't written a good album since 1919 Eternal, and to a lesser extent The Blessed Hellride.

And his overuse of pinch harmonics...jesus that's annoying.

Best album this year has been Symphony X - Paradise Lost. Closely followed by 3 Inches of Blood - Fire Up the Blades

Also, I've been listening to a few new bands, what do you guys think of them?

Pain of Salvation - haven't heard enough/10

Sigh - 7/10

Amon Amarth - 8.5/10

Angra - 9/10

Chimaira - 6/10

Dark Tranquility - 8/10

Russell Allen/Jorn Lande - 8/10

Savage Circus - 8/10

Side note, Dio owns your soul.

Guest :shifty:

Also, I've been listening to a few new bands, what do you guys think of them?

Sigh - 7/10

You need to listen to more Sigh, seriously. "Gallows Gallery" is one of the most innovative metal albums of the 21st century, and their other stuff isn't much further behind. How you can arrive at 7/10 for such an excellent band is beyond my comprehension - they are the most accessible "black metal" act out there.

Top Three Bands

1. Black Label(I know it gets repetitive and whatnot, but for some reason it's addictive as hell to me, all of it)

2. Lamb of God

3. HORSE the Band, Killswitch, Arch Enemy, 2 Cents(rotates)

2007 has been a good year for metal, but I felt that the new Shadows Fall could have been SO much better...sigh...

Also, I might also be getting into a band soon, just auditioned for Walking Corpse Syndrome.

Since I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else, the new August Burns Red album is fucking awesome.

I didn't peg you as a metal fan, but yes it's pretty decent.

BLS? You don't find their new stuff to be terrible, bland, going-through-the-motions metal?

Zakk Wylde hasn't written a good album since 1919 Eternal, and to a lesser extent The Blessed Hellride.

And his overuse of pinch harmonics...jesus that's annoying.