(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

I've just heard Cry of the Blackbirds by Amon Amarth and have come to two conclusions.

1. This song rocks.

and

2. I think I could get into death metal after all (even if it's just melodic death metal like AA).

Any recommendations you guys could give me?

Well, judging from your tastes you wouldn't like anything too harsh. Something like Insomnium could work (pretty harsh vocals, but it's melodic death metal). Get their latter two albums, I don't really like their first one tbh.

Songs: The Day It All Came Down, Bereavement, Daughter Of The Moon, Black Waters, pretty much every song on Above The Weeping World.

They're one of my favourite bands, which is pretty funny considering most of the stuff I listen to is br00tal death.

Thanks guys, I've just started checking them out. "Mortal Share" by Insomnium sounds like it has potential to grow on me after the first play through.

I had a look around Wiki and I'm thinking of also checking out Skyfire, Norther and Blood Stain Child amongst others.

Unleashed are a must. They're very groovy death metal, plus they sing about vikings too so they're right up an Amon Amarth fan's alley.

You might also check out the whole viking/folk metal thing and bands like Týr, Ensiferum, Turisas, Falkenbach, Agalloch and Primordial.

Unleashed are a must. They're very groovy death metal, plus they sing about vikings too so they're right up an Amon Amarth fan's alley.

You might also check out the whole viking/folk metal thing and bands like Týr, Ensiferum, Turisas, Falkenbach, Agalloch and Primordial.

I already love me some Tyr. They are awesome. :D

Thanks guys, I've just started checking them out. "Mortal Share" by Insomnium sounds like it has potential to grow on me after the first play through.

I had a look around Wiki and I'm thinking of also checking out Skyfire, Norther and Blood Stain Child amongst others.

Blood Stain Child are hilarious. Definitely give them a look. So much fun.

Norther, look at their older stuff. Newer stuff sounds exactly like the older stuff, but not as awesome.

Ensiferum's s/t album is essential, epic as shit. Wintersun is in the same boat. Arkona might be a bit too extreme for you, but I always recommend them.

The new Mayhem album is awesome. Considering who 'legendary' they are, this is the first time I've heard thier stuff, and its really really good.

You're in luck then for picking up "Ordo Ab Chao" as your first Mayhem release. Had it been "Wolf's Lair Abyss" or "Grand Declaration Of War", your opinion might have been a lot worse. The next logical step is to check out "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", which is hailed as one of THE works in whole of black metal.

Sadly, considering how "legendary" Mayhem have turned out, they've produced a lot more shit than other big-name black metal bands.

Oh yeah, I'd read about some of the shit they've produced, but it was a mix of the Lords of Chaos book and a review in Terrorizer of the album which led me to check that one out first.

Been away from the boards a bit, but I like the discussion here.

My favourite band is of course:

savatage1.JPG

One Child

Handful of Rain

Gutter Ballet

Edge of Thorns

Hall of the Mountain King

Jesus Saves

savatagemy9.gif

MY GOD!!!

I really thought that I was the only person who listened to Savatage!!

THere is my vote for most UNDERATED Metal Band ever!!

Top 3?

1. Metallica

2. Megadeth

3. Pantera

Nice!!!

I have just the Savatage stuff and TSO related and have seen them live... TSO that is...

Need to get more Pain and the others.... Very impressed

"Edge of Thorns" is one of the greatest songs, you agree?

Dead Winter Dead is a brilliant Concept album....

And I use the song "Christmas Eve Sarajevo" as my answering machine music every year....

Edited by darkrayne