(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

They have also teased this

Naturally speculation is rampant as a video shown during the recent concerts also contains an image of them in silhouette in a "Doki Doki Morning" pose and they've been joined on stage by "their younger selves" for a couple of songs (a group of girls from the same school and group the original members (and Momoko later) went through), alongside comments from one of the girls making reference to Marvel meaning people are thinking there's going to be spin offs and all other convuluted stuff like an old plan to make some sort of animated series being brought back again.

Reality is probably a new album, they've said "The Other One" isn't considered a normal Babymetal album and is more of a concept album seperate from the rest and it goes alongside their usual naming convention, it would fit in alongside Babymetal, Metal Resistance, Metal Galaxy and Metal (uni)verse.

As always it's a bit cryptic and mysterious and boy do people love to try and read into every little thing and find all the hidden meanings behind everything they can do. Usually though, the most obvious thinking is going to be what actually happens in the end.

ok Ghosts cover of Jesus He Knows Me is fucking awesome.  I'd put the official music video (which is insane) but there are some questionable scenes in it I don't think would be allowed on EWB

• Like 3

On 09/04/2023 at 23:05, Lint said:

ok Ghosts cover of Jesus He Knows Me is fucking awesome.  I'd put the official music video (which is insane) but there are some questionable scenes in it I don't think would be allowed on EWB

It's a cracking cover. The whole EP looks interesting to be fair: 

‘See No Evil’ (Television)
‘Jesus He Knows Me’ (Genesis)
‘Hanging Around’ (The Stranglers)
‘Phantom of the Opera’ (Iron Maiden)
‘We Don’t Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)’ (Tina Turner)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

"Jesus He Knows Me" is definitely the highlight; that's been in pretty constant rotation for me since it was first released. "We Don't Need Another Hero" is good too, could see myself DJing that one if I were still playing rock/metal nights. 

The rest doesn't really do anything for me; Phantom Of The Opera, in particular, just makes me want to listen to the original instead.

Khanate dropped a surprise new album yesterday - it's very, very heavy, and I love it.

14 minutes ago, Skummy said:

"Jesus He Knows Me" is definitely the highlight; that's been in pretty constant rotation for me since it was first released. "We Don't Need Another Hero" is good too, could see myself DJing that one if I were still playing rock/metal nights. 

The rest doesn't really do anything for me; Phantom Of The Opera, in particular, just makes me want to listen to the original instead.

Khanate dropped a surprise new album yesterday - it's very, very heavy, and I love it.

For me, the weakest is the opening track. Agreed on Jesus He Knows me being the best one - it's also the one they have started playing live. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Myrkur has a new album out, 'Ragnarok'. It's a soundtrack album to a theater production that she has written (there are clips of the production on her instagram). 

1 hour ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

The new Avenged Sevenfold album is absolutely brilliant.

I agree. Totally took people by surprise with the avant-garde nature of it, but I'm really digging it. 

• 1 month later...

So back to April and it looks like team Babymetal have announced the next project fully.

They are also announced to be performing at a festival, on the same day as Babymetal, which suggests that the parallel world version of Babymetal are going to be their own thing. What form that will be nobody knows, personal feeling is they'll remain a more "idol" flavour of them focussing on the more cutesy stuff from when the original band were still kids and "graduating" members as they age. I guess there have been enough failed imitators that the original people doing it might work out but I think they were lightning in a bottle, enough female focussed acts have come out of Japan and expanded on them with more to offer that at the moment it seems pointless. That they're on the bill on the same day as the original group though I assume they won't just be a cover band like some are speculating.

• 1 month later...

Magenta Musik look like they have everything together on their site now from Wacken this year.

https://www.magentamusik.de/collection/wacken-2023

It's great that they do this every year where you can get (most) bands from the main couple of stages and a bit more from around the festival live and uploaded afterwards. I can't be dealing with the faff of a festival anymore so being able to sit and watch Wacken every year live or catch up on acts performing while I was at work/otherwise busy is great. The ARTE Concert YouTube is also very good, they had large parts of Hellfest earlier this year and have been showing Summer Breeze the last couple of days and will upload some of the sets (I'm not sure if all of them) afterwards.

I know not every festival can, or is interested in doing so, but it's great that you get the chance to enjoy live music and festivals from home so much easier now. Yeah it's not the same, but when thinking about what a bog Wacken was this year I'll happily dodge that!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah that was an amazing insight into how the organisation was. Due to when they arrived, they'd missed some of the horror (I saw footage of Coheed and Cambrias (I think) gear being swept away during the storm alongside people having to cower under the stages, vendors being looted due to the evacuation and just a general nightmare. That was a natural event (even if some of the organisation didn't help matters) but with everything he said, while being from one mans experiences, it's not a surprise that the stories of strikes and eventually the authorities shutting the thing down have come out surrounding it.

There's also this - admittedly long - video from the perspective of someone else. Who in fairness tried to keep it down to "this is what I saw, I want to avoid rumour control and will try to only talk about what I'd actually seen" fresh from the aftermath.

Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson will finally release his highly anticipated next solo album in early 2024! It is called 'The Mandrake Project' and is another collaboration with producer and guitarist Roy Z.: https://blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-announces-new-solo-album-the-mandrake-project

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A video I watched on YT had this as a brief cutaway gag and I was like "Oh no...I kinda liked that"

So now I'm making my way through some albums on Spotify and I'm really liking it!

• 1 month later...

One of guys in Sleep Token got doxxed. Someone apparently shared his damn birth certificate online. As a response, the member in question has deleted his social media pages and the band has wiped their Instagram page and their bio now reads "Nothing lasts forever".

https://loudwire.com/sleep-token-wipe-instagram-fans-crossed-line/

This is especially strange given that these guys' identities have already been revealed about a year ago by someone who looked at the songwriting credits and some social media posts.

• 1 month later...

New Pelican EP is decent.