(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Bwaha. Awesome... it's like Walmart all over again ¬_¬

Anyway... 'Bye Bye Beautiful' by Nightwish. The most spiteful, bitter, hate-filled song ever written? Discuss. :P

Seriously, you've fired the chick from the band in a most public and unprofessional fashion, do you really need to write a song devoted to how betrayed you feel, Tuomas? If you loved her that much, you should've fucking told her before she got married. Still, cracking song.

Just got back from the Turisas gig in Sheff. Fucking brilliant night. Alestorm were great, Norther are so much better live than on youtube and Turisas tore the fucking house down.

Fucking brilliant.

Eh, they're supposed to be with Rick Rubin now, so I'll probably at least check it out. Can't be much worse than St. Anger; I think there was a total of two songs on the whole album that sounded even half-decent.

Unrelatedly, I can't get over this. It's awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AM-L18Hc94Y

Especially the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Beat It" parts. Awesome.

guys, i need some new (2008) doom metal releases. i've been getting into Boris alot lately, and I need more music like that.

What Boris have you been listening to? Since Boris aren't really Doom Metal, and wouldn't wanna be giving you duff bands to check out.

The closest they got to Doom was the collaboration with Sunn 0)))), so if you fancied that then I might be able to help you somewhat.

EDIT: Actually, I'm struggling with the Doom, since I haven't listened to much recently. At least Boris have a huge back catalogue, so you can always dip into that.

And the various collaborations.

Edited by rvdwannabe

guys, i need some new (2008) doom metal releases. i've been getting into Boris alot lately, and I need more music like that.

Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale

The Sword - Gods of the Earth (not due out until April 1st, but I'm sure it'll leak if it hasn't already.)

That's all I can think of.

I got the new Sword (and the older album) a few weeks ago, around the same time I got the new Earth. I'll probably be digging into the Earth discography as well. As for Boris, like I told Liam over PM, I've had the entire Boris discography (minus a few minor things) for well over a month now.

I want more of the stuff like Sunn O))) does (Altar is probably my favorite, next to White1). My favorite Boris albums are Pink, Smile, Rock Dream (live album with Merzbow), Vein (the Hardcore version) and Heavy Rocks. The Groon / Walrus EP with Merzbow is a sight to behold (err, listen?) if only because of the creepy yet totally badass cover of "I Am The Walrus" by The Beatles.

Absolutego and Feedbacker are rising up in my pecking order for their albums, though.

I've just been recently checking out some band that I am really enjoying. The ones that have topped my list thus far are:

Turisas (They do a cover of Rasputian!)

Kamelot

Einherjer

Flotsam & Jetsam (late 80's)

Helloween

Cellador

Evergrey

Human Fortress

Doomsword

They are mainly focused on just great music and none of that throaty death metal singing, god I hate death metal. Its mostly power metal and viking metal.

Welcome home, prodigal son :P

You need some Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Firewind and Dream Evil in your life. Also, try Elvenking, but don't get their latest album. It might actually cause cancer, it's that bad.

Out of interest, how the fuck do you pronounce "Sunn 0))))"?

"sun". They're named after an amplifier.

Sunn O))) is named after the Sunn amplifier brand, whose logo includes a circle next to the "SUNN" banner with waves heading off to the right (the band use this logo in the cover art of many releases); a literal interpretation of the logo produces "Sunn O)))". In interviews Stephen O'Malley has stated the name was also chosen as a play on the name of the band Earth, pioneers of drone music throughout the 1990's, reasoning that Sunn O))) "revolved around Earth."

SunnLogo.png

Edited by Cloudy Is Very Not Gangsta

I got the new Sword (and the older album) a few weeks ago, around the same time I got the new Earth. I'll probably be digging into the Earth discography as well. As for Boris, like I told Liam over PM, I've had the entire Boris discography (minus a few minor things) for well over a month now.

I want more of the stuff like Sunn O))) does (Altar is probably my favorite, next to White1). My favorite Boris albums are Pink, Smile, Rock Dream (live album with Merzbow), Vein (the Hardcore version) and Heavy Rocks. The Groon / Walrus EP with Merzbow is a sight to behold (err, listen?) if only because of the creepy yet totally badass cover of "I Am The Walrus" by The Beatles.

Absolutego and Feedbacker are rising up in my pecking order for their albums, though.

Yeah, Earth will be well worth your time.

The guys from Pelican have a side project called Tusk which I've heard is supposed to be alright. They released a new album not too long ago, might be worth a look.

• 3 weeks later...

Pelican; Pelican are the shit. Their March Into The Sea is completely off-the-hook awesome. I will certainly stand in front line to confess my love for that song.

Moonsorrow needs that too, they provide me with countless hours of great metal despite me only have one album. <_<