(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

• 1 month later...

So, am I the only one that cant wait for the new Gojira release? There are probably bigger things going on, of which I have followed up upon, but after giving The Link a listen again I remembered why I fucking love Gojira so much.

Edited by bretboy1

So, am I the only one that cant wait for the new Gojira release? There are probably bigger things going on, of which I have followed up upon, but after giving The Link a listen again I remembered why I fucking love Gojira so much.

It leaked a short while ago, and I downloaded it. Twas ok, but I always feel I have to be in the mood to listen to Gojira rather than just being able to thrown them on. Still, well worth the listen.

What are your favourite genres of metal?

What are your favourite genres of metal?

Power and Folk.

When it comes to metal, there are no other genres that even come close to interesting me.

I echo the power and folk love, and throw out there heavy, melodic-death and progressive too. :)

In other musings, did anyone pick up the new Amon Amarth album - it kicks a fair bit of ass, especially the track Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags. :)

I am missing way too much new stuff by being in the army/being sick :(

My favorite genres shouldn't be that surprising to anyone, my Last.FM page will tell most of what is needed to know. Grindcore/goregrind, death and black metal. Although I do ride the waves of metal awesomeness in any direction whatsoever if the music catches my fancy.

I am a certified death metal person. Black metal appeals to me as well, but death and extreme metal are more up my alley. And then there are the strange examples where the music just catches my fancy, to echo Bushmeister above. Also, he is responsible for my growing love for grindcore and the likes.

When it comes to metal, I'm all about doom. While I do love the odd bit of grindcore, especially early Napalm Death and electro/spazz stuff like The Locust, An Albatross or Ghengis Tron, doom is my preferred form of metal...with the exception of grind, I don't care for aggression in metal, so thrash has never meant much to me, and I really don't like virtuosity for virtuosity's sake so power metal and needless guitar solos are out. No, I want my metal uncompromisingly grim and minimalist and repetitive and SLOWWWWWW, to the point that it's almost stifling.

That said, doom can be all a bit samey, so I do like bands that change it up a little bit, as with any genre, and love bands that take it to as many logical extremes as possible - that being SunnO))), Earth and their ilk, in the case of doom. I don't mind a bit of sludge/stoner metal either, as it shares a bit of common ground with doom.

Black metal I don't mind, although I'm very picky - early European black metal is brilliant, but most of the modern stuff is pretty dire, because so many of the bands refuse to really progress anywhere interesting; Sigh, 1349 and Wolves In The Throneroom are the only black metal bands that really interest me these days, as while 1349 aren't doing anything especially new with the genre, they're really pushing it as far as it can go in many ways, while Wolves In The Throneroom are, to me, the first great American black metal band, and have definitely added a new twist to the genre, while Sigh go off in so many different directions it sometimes gets difficult to justify labelling them as black metal at all.

I like doom, black, death.....a bit of everything really, aside from thrash, which I've never really been a fan of. I think stuff like Coffins 'Buried Death' and Mayhem's 'Ord Ad Chao' are what I'm really into at the moment, slow, broody, creepy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, I'm bored and I haven't answered anything about the Metal yet.

Top 3 Metal bands.

1. Death

2. At The Gates

3. Dream Theater

Metal I can't get into. Just off the top of my head.

Most Black Metal

Power Metal (Clean vocals)

Doom Metal

Soilwork

Manowar

The Haunted

Motorhead

Wintersun

Genres.

Melodic Death

Progressive

Death

Folk

Technical Death

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently so, yeah, that's been floating around for a couple of months or now as far as I can tell. Fair play to him actually coming out, though, he's not exactly working in the most accepting of genres.

Here's a photo of him and his fashion designer boyfriend:

dan_de_vero_og_gaah_617588b.jpg

Edited by Skumaga

That's awesome. Too bad he and the band will get a shitload of stick for that, unless the metal's community evolved a whole lot since the last time I was around it.

Yeah, but he only officially "came out" the other day; I imagine black metal forums across the interwebs will be flooded with homophobia.

Erm, more than the usual amount of homophobia. Or at least, a more directed homophobia.

I don't think it'll change too much, insular metalheads will call Gorgoroth "faggots" for a while, the majority of them when they either get over it or realise it doesn't affect the music in the slightest, and it's not like Gaahl's about to release a disco album (although, deep down, I wish he would) - there's a fair few gays in metal, and it never hurt their careers none - maybe in the very short-term, but it's not a career-killer, probably not even in the incredibly bigoted and insular world of black metal - they'll just get "boycotted" by some tr00 kvlt black metal diehards that should know better anyway - faggots.

I'm a thrash metal fan, pretty much the only kind of metal that really interests me. I like the thrash metal that bases it's content more on the evil side of things as opposed to the big haired, high top wearing thrash we saw in the 80s. There are quite a few great bands new and old on the thrash side of things. The quick pace of the music is probably what drew me in, seeing as I've always had a fondness for faster paced music.

I didn't notice this thread and accidentally started a thread about the newest Testament album, "Formation of Damnation" which is awesome.

In response to Farmer, Motorhead was the least favorite band of the night. I didn't know anything about Testament before the show, but we all figured they had to be good to be on the bill with the Metal Masters.

They opened and kicked ass, but we were drinking heavily and honestly didn't pay much attention besides realizing they were rad as fuck.

Motorhead played next and the crowd was hot, but it was blah. When they played Ace of Spades, though, the biggets mosh pit I ever joined in my life formed up. It was massive, WAY bigger than Hatebreed's when I saw them at the same place.

Heaven & Hell, seriously, I consider them one of the greatest bands of all time. Their entire set was amazing, good drum solo from Appice and lots of solos from Iommi which was a plus.

Judas Priest really just blew everything out of the water though. Fantastic show, kick ass metal the way it should be. I loved when they played "Painkiller!"

Some more metal bands I dig would have to be Manowar (just because of how cheesy they are) and Children of Bodom.

Super stoked to see a thread just for metal on here!!

Last week I came across this album from a band named Hackneyed. Not bad, I believe it's death metal. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the band is it's all a bunch of German teenagers (avg. age 16) and they got a international record deal.

Anyone else heard of them? I thought their album was alright, bit short.

I didn't notice this thread and accidentally started a thread about the newest Testament album, "Formation of Damnation" which is awesome.

In response to Farmer, Motorhead was the least favorite band of the night. I didn't know anything about Testament before the show, but we all figured they had to be good to be on the bill with the Metal Masters.

They opened and kicked ass, but we were drinking heavily and honestly didn't pay much attention besides realizing they were rad as fuck.

Motorhead played next and the crowd was hot, but it was blah. When they played Ace of Spades, though, the biggets mosh pit I ever joined in my life formed up. It was massive, WAY bigger than Hatebreed's when I saw them at the same place.

Heaven & Hell, seriously, I consider them one of the greatest bands of all time. Their entire set was amazing, good drum solo from Appice and lots of solos from Iommi which was a plus.

Judas Priest really just blew everything out of the water though. Fantastic show, kick ass metal the way it should be. I loved when they played "Painkiller!"

Some more metal bands I dig would have to be Manowar (just because of how cheesy they are) and Children of Bodom.

Super stoked to see a thread just for metal on here!!

I saw this same gig, except in Michigan. Testament were pretty good despite the fact that I didn't know much about them. I wasn't a fan of Heaven and Hell, just not my style, and Motorhead was fun just because it was Motorhead.

Honestly though, Motorhead would have been much more enjoyable in a smaller venue. Their style and sound better lends itself to a smaller, more intimate venue if you will.

• 2 months later...

So I've recently being getting into X Japan. Anyone else heard much by them? I love the blend of heavy speed metal from their earlier releases with the piano balladry of later releases and everything in-between.