(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

One More Magic Potion is awesome, just for the visual it gives me of a band of battle-weary vikings trudging up to a house and bothering to knock on the door. Then sitting down to tea with an old woman, before going outside to dance and sing songs with trolls and goblins and stuff. Then, presumably, slaughtering everything, robbing the woman blind and going about their business. :shifty:

nWo, if you don't usually like Folk Metal but you do like Ensiferum, do yourself a huge favour and pick up Kiuas' 'Spirit of Ukko' album. The vocals are fairly harsh, without being growly, and the lyrics are along the same lines (Finnish folklore and Norse mythology and stuff), but the guitars are much more thrash/prog metal than folk.

Clearly we must convert nWo to folk metal.

Clearly.

Don't know whether any of the death metal-heads are interested, but I stumbled across 'Deathfest' on Wikipedia. Apparently its at Leeds Uni, or something and here is the line-up:

Vader

Repulsion

Origin

Akercocke

Benediction

The Rotted

Destruction

Leng Tch'e

DAM

Lazarus Blackstar

Reth

Ingested

Black Sun

Infected Disarray

Esclavage

I have no idea if that is good or not, but I thought I'd let y'all know. :)

nWo, if you don't usually like Folk Metal but you do like Ensiferum, do yourself a huge favour and pick up Kiuas' 'Spirit of Ukko' album. The vocals are fairly harsh, without being growly, and the lyrics are along the same lines (Finnish folklore and Norse mythology and stuff), but the guitars are much more thrash/prog metal than folk.

I actually own every album of Kiuas. They're awesome.

Went to Metallica + Machine Head + The Sword last night. Fucking IMMENSE. One of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Went to Metallica + Machine Head + The Sword last night. Fucking IMMENSE. One of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Fuck you :crying: :crying: :crying:

What did they play?

Can't remember the exact set list but they played, I think 4 or 5 new songs along with the classics likes Puppets, Sad But True, Memory, Sandman, etc.

We even got Seek and Destroy to close the encore!! :o:D

I'll find a setlist later when I'm not heading out :)

BAD TIMES INDEED~!

All Wintersun shows cancelled

There has come again unexpected problems with technology, which will make finishing the "Time" album even more harder than it has been. Which will delay it even more. There´s also some personal problems concerning my apartment.

Because of all the problems, I have fallen under a serious amounts of stress, which is sometimes causing me "writer´s blocks". This album making is now turned into such a "risky business", that I have no choise, but to cancel Summerbreeze and Bloodstock.

The thing is, the album has to be done first, before we can play any shows. Playing just old songs after many years isn´t something we want to do and what probably no one wants to see.

After the album has been mixed, I need to mix again a "backuptrack livemix" (of the synths&orchestrations). Then we have to of course practise the new songs and arrange them into "live format" (especially mine and Teemu´s guitar parts). We also need to update our humble live gear.

All these arrangements take time, so we don´t want to risk it, that we might have to cancel the shows last minute. It must be done now and put finishing the album the number one priority. After the album is done, we will start booking shows again.

I know there´s lots of disappointed people and I have to apologize. But I hope that you´ll understand my decision under these circumstances. I have to put the album first and finish it before we play any shows. Thanks for listening!

Jari

Boooo, they were VERY high on my "must see" list. Oh well. Still have Amon Amarth, Apocalyptica, Turisas, Saxon, GWAR + presumably others.

Plus they added Moonspell to 'replace' them (not really replace, as they were going to announce Moonspell anyway and they're a doom metal band so not exactly a replacement). I'm not a huge Moonspell fan. Wish it was Moonsorrow instead. Now THAT would be cool. Moonsorrow followed by Amon Amarth followed by Turisas = heavenly.

BAD TIMES INDEED~!

All Wintersun shows cancelled

There has come again unexpected problems with technology, which will make finishing the "Time" album even more harder than it has been. Which will delay it even more. There´s also some personal problems concerning my apartment.

Because of all the problems, I have fallen under a serious amounts of stress, which is sometimes causing me "writer´s blocks". This album making is now turned into such a "risky business", that I have no choise, but to cancel Summerbreeze and Bloodstock.

The thing is, the album has to be done first, before we can play any shows. Playing just old songs after many years isn´t something we want to do and what probably no one wants to see.

After the album has been mixed, I need to mix again a "backuptrack livemix" (of the synths&orchestrations). Then we have to of course practise the new songs and arrange them into "live format" (especially mine and Teemu´s guitar parts). We also need to update our humble live gear.

All these arrangements take time, so we don´t want to risk it, that we might have to cancel the shows last minute. It must be done now and put finishing the album the number one priority. After the album is done, we will start booking shows again.

I know there´s lots of disappointed people and I have to apologize. But I hope that you´ll understand my decision under these circumstances. I have to put the album first and finish it before we play any shows. Thanks for listening!

Jari

Boooo, they were VERY high on my "must see" list. Oh well. Still have Amon Amarth, Apocalyptica, Turisas, Saxon, GWAR + presumably others.

Plus they added Moonspell to 'replace' them (not really replace, as they were going to announce Moonspell anyway and they're a doom metal band so not exactly a replacement). I'm not a huge Moonspell fan. Wish it was Moonsorrow instead. Now THAT would be cool. Moonsorrow followed by Amon Amarth followed by Turisas = heavenly.

Yeah, I heard about Wintersun. They were my main reason to go to Bloodstock.

However, as you say, we've still got Amon and Turisas - two of the best bands on the planet today. I too second the Moonsorrow want - but that would've been too epic.

Hey guys,

I love Rock and Metal, etc. But I don't really have a huge collection. All I have is three "Disturbed" albums, Death Magnetic by Metallica, and No World For Tommorow from Coheed & Cambria.

Can anyone recommend some other bands I should check out?

Here's a couple classic and essential heavy metal albums:

Dio - Holy Diver

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Guns'n'Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Judas Priest - British Steel

My personal favourite albums from 90's and beyond:

Savatage - The Wake of Magellan

Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side

Valley's Eve - Deception of Pain

Axxis - Back to the Kingdom

Nightwish - Once

Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider

Well, you're not doing yourself any favours with that Death Magnetic crap. Granted it's a passable record, but if you want Metallica you need, Ride The Lighting, Kill em All, and Master Of Puppets

That's a pretty fine list above -here are some others. Not neccessarly all "classics", but they are good albums...classic or current.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall On Middle Earth (my first BG album, actually, followed by...of course, follow the blind..ya follow)

Vanden Plas (Spirt Of Live, BE DVD)

Devin Townsend - Terria (sp)

Cult Of Luna - any album

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Hammerfall - Glory To Brave (If you want to laugh at cheesy 80s metal that was made in the 90s and 2000s)

Ozzy - The Ozman Cometh (a good mix of Ozzy songs - Mr. Crowly, Paranoid etc)

Savatage - Dead Winter Dead, Handful Of Rain

Aerosmith - (just up to the point he starting cryin' )

Thrice - Identiy Crises - Their first album on Hopefull Record. They were punk a metal overtone. I think they are not more punk/emo.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny - THE RIPPER!

I got tickets to see Jon Oliva's Pain in June. I also read they will have a new album out later this year.

Cristopher Kinder (the drummer) on JOP board:

On the music front: JOP is deep into pre-production for our 4th release due out later this year. 13 songs are on the table with another 6 still in their infancy. Expect us to deliver another 60+ minutes. We are determined to make this record heavier and more diverse than the previous3 cd's. We have done quite a bit of experimenting over

the past 2 albums, but there is a real desire to push our performances and Oliva's voice harder than ever. Recording will begin at Morrisound Studio's-Tampa in late March.

Also with a new album, Skyclad:

SKYCLAD, the seminal British band, which is often referred to as "the originator of folk metal", has signed a deal with Scarlet Records. The group's twelfth album, "In The… All Together", is due in the spring. The CD, which was recorded and mixed by Dario Mollo (THE CAGE, VOODOO HILL) at Damage Inc Studio, in Ventimiglia, Italy during August 2008, "mixes the usual thrash/speed metal influences with the extraordinary folk melodies that made the band famous all around the world, maintaining a fresh and dynamic approach which gives a strong live dimension to the new songs," according to a press release.....

That's from their MySpace and Blabbermouth.

I can't wait. I loved A Semblance of Normality.

Without much looking, it is possible to get your hands on a promo copy of Mastodon's new album 'Crack The Skye' Just giving it a listen now myself, sounds pretty cool.

That's without the last track though right? Yeah, other than it missing that track, it's a great album. Met my expectations.

Without much looking, it is possible to get your hands on a promo copy of Mastodon's new album 'Crack The Skye' Just giving it a listen now myself, sounds pretty cool.

That's without the last track though right? Yeah, other than it missing that track, it's a great album. Met my expectations.

Yeah, no last track. It sounds like the kinda album that will probably divide people, but I like it.

Hey guys,

I love Rock and Metal, etc. But I don't really have a huge collection. All I have is three "Disturbed" albums, Death Magnetic by Metallica, and No World For Tommorow from Coheed & Cambria.

Can anyone recommend some other bands I should check out?

Here's a couple classic and essential heavy metal albums:

Dio - Holy Diver

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Guns'n'Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Judas Priest - British Steel

My personal favourite albums from 90's and beyond:

Savatage - The Wake of Magellan

Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side

Valley's Eve - Deception of Pain

Axxis - Back to the Kingdom

Nightwish - Once

Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider

Well, you're not doing yourself any favours with that Death Magnetic crap. Granted it's a passable record, but if you want Metallica you need, Ride The Lighting, Kill em All, and Master Of Puppets

That's a pretty fine list above -here are some others. Not neccessarly all "classics", but they are good albums...classic or current.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall On Middle Earth (my first BG album, actually, followed by...of course, follow the blind..ya follow)

Vanden Plas (Spirt Of Live, BE DVD)

Devin Townsend - Terria (sp)

Cult Of Luna - any album

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Hammerfall - Glory To Brave (If you want to laugh at cheesy 80s metal that was made in the 90s and 2000s)

Ozzy - The Ozman Cometh (a good mix of Ozzy songs - Mr. Crowly, Paranoid etc)

Savatage - Dead Winter Dead, Handful Of Rain

Aerosmith - (just up to the point he starting cryin' )

Thrice - Identiy Crises - Their first album on Hopefull Record. They were punk a metal overtone. I think they are not more punk/emo.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny - THE RIPPER!

Regarding Metallica, you also definitely need the black album, aka Metallica (the one Enter Sandman is on).

I'd also recommend:

High N Dry and Pyromania, by Def Leppard. Unfortunately, after Hysteria they pretty much became more pop than hard rock. (One of my favorite bands, but I don't own any of their stuff after Adrenalize).

Hellbilly Deluxe and Past Present Future, by Rob Zombie (Past Present Future is a greatest hits compilation with some new stuff). And ANYTHING by White Zombie.

Fuck you :crying: :crying: :crying:

What did they play?

As I posted in the other thread, I found the setlist for the Sheff gig:

That Was Just Your Life

The End Of The Line

Ride The Lightning

The Memory Remains

One

Broken, Beat And Scarred

Cyanide

Sad But True

The Unforgiven