(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

I could definitely assist with the trash metal portion, it's the one piece of metal I can say I've listened to extensively, past and present.

Please do. More good metal, the better. I can assist with anything else, too. Tehe. Add me on AIM if you want to throw some suggestions my way. AIM: CaptainDuckroll.

I kinda thought the idea was more of a starting blocks, bands that you have to check out kinda thing, rather than just any bands people like.

Like Black Metal would be Mayhem, Emperor etc, Death be Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse etc, so on and so forth. I mean, we can go into it further, but its pointless if we just right about a bunch of bands we each individually like, as it kinda defeats the initial purpose.

I guess I missed it, but we're assembling a chart of some sort to give the best examples of bands in the metal sub-genres? If so, I can certainly help out.

Also, Jushin, Cannibal Corpse is far from black metal. They would be without a doubt the band that best embodies death metal.

Okay, I'm off to bed in a sec (early start tomorrow), but next chance I get I'll collate who has offered to do what and try and come up with some sort of layout for this.

Do we think we'd just post it in here? Or start a brand new topic for it?

I meant to say thrash, my mistake if you guys thought I meant "trash".

But yeah, I was sort of planning on listing the must listens in early thrash, and thought it'd be nice to say "And hey, if you like these bands, these guys are new and doing it just as well as the old timers".

It's leaked. Out next week, I believe. I'd argue that it's amongst their best work - it's still very much drone, and as heavy and intense as anything they've done before, but there's at more musicality to it, that you don't normally see so much of their work - definitely seems like a logical progression from some of the tracks on "Altar". Atilla Csihar is on top form on vocals, the string section they're using sounds phenomenal - reminds me of Penderecki or LaMonte Young in places, which is pretty much the roots of drone anyway, and Julian Priester's trombone, which was one of the main elements I was looking forward to hearing, works so much better than I imagined it would. Really, great stuff, and the first SunnO))) record to really feel like a definite shift in a certain direction.

Having a listen now, and what I'm hearing is all good. Might be a better earphones/CD or MP3 player listen though, get a bit more into it that way I'd guess.

I loved Attila Csihar recent Mayhem work in 'Ordo Ad Chao', and his vocals in this are spot on also.

Atilla is probably the best thing to happen to SunnO))) in a long, long time. While Oren Ambarchi has been fantastic in terms of fleshing out their sound, and Dylan Carlson's new direction with Earth has done a great job of showing the directions the genre could be taken in, and all the other guest musicians play their parts brilliantly and really add to the album, I can speak from experience of seeing them live with both Ambarchi and Atilla, and say that Atilla's vocals are probably the main element that takes SunnO)))'s sound from being heavy and slightly difficult to listen into whole new areas, making it feel otherworldly and at times genuinely unsettling and frightening. He's like some kind of preacher from a Lovecraftian cult or something.

Screw double posting. Monoliths & Dimensions was a pretty good listen. Certainly a very interesting step for Sunn O))), and I am still not sure what to think of the blend they did on the album, with the singing, the trompets, to piano or whatever it was, it was all very euphoric in some way. Definetely a good album and one that calls for another listen.