(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

I forgot how much I like later Cathedral material. The earlier stuff (Forest of Equilibrium) is pretty awesome doom, but I like the more stoner/doom leanings in stuff like Caravan Beyond Redemption and The VIIth Coming. Maybe I'm just partial to it because the first Cathedral album I heard was Caravan.., though.

Hmm, out of the huge pile of CDs I bought a while ago I like Deliverance (by Opeth), One Second (by Paradise Lost) and The Bedlam In Goliath (by Mars Volta) much more than anything else out of the pile I got.

I'd probably get castrated on here for saying that Paradise Lost sound like what Metallica want to sound like when they wanted to go in a more blues direction, without the sub-par songwriting and vocals. I'm also insanely surprised that the other Opeth albums didn't sound anything like Deliverance, and that this was a one off thing... on the plus side, the production is ace and I can see the rest of the Opeth albums growing on me.

I can understand what is meant about the Sabbat stuff, I thought it wouldn't be 'that' heavier than Dreamweavers and it's hit me like a sledgehammer to the gut, it's just going to go in my extreme pile until I get into Opeth and Paradise Lost more ¬_¬

Which brings me to my next question. Are any of the following metal CDs worth getting?

Cradle Of Filth - Damnation & A Day

Entombed - Morning Star/Inferno

Anathema - A Natural Disaster/Judgement/A Fine Day To Exit

Corrosion Of Conformity - Wiseblood

I forgot how much I like later Cathedral material. The earlier stuff (Forest of Equilibrium) is pretty awesome doom, but I like the more stoner/doom leanings in stuff like Caravan Beyond Redemption and The VIIth Coming. Maybe I'm just partial to it because the first Cathedral album I heard was Caravan.., though.

Nah, you're partial to it because it's fucking superawesome.

Hmm, out of the huge pile of CDs I bought a while ago I like Deliverance (by Opeth), One Second (by Paradise Lost) and The Bedlam In Goliath (by Mars Volta) much more than anything else out of the pile I got.

I'd probably get castrated on here for saying that Paradise Lost sound like what Metallica want to sound like when they wanted to go in a more blues direction, without the sub-par songwriting and vocals.

Anathema - A Natural Disaster/Judgement/A Fine Day To Exit

I've heard the Metallica/Paradise Lost comparisons before, and I can kinda see where they are coming from, if only due to the singer progressively sounding more like James Hetfield by the day. Glad you liked One Second, my personal favourite.

Anathema, I've only got AND, which I quite like, but they are part of the big 3 from Peaceville (including Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride), so are probably worth checking out.

Damnation and a Day is a weird Cradle album. Out of their whole discography, it's the one that stands out the most for me because as a whole, it's quite unique in regards to their catalog of tunes, and the premise is amazing. The album works together very well. As stand-alone tracks go, they're good, but definitely not their best songs. So it's hard to really tell someone whether or not they will enjoy it.

My advice, is that if you like Cradle of Filth at all, and enjoy the concepts they use behind their albums... then pick it up. You can probably get it fairly cheap. $5 or $10 probably.

Cradle of Filth have been one of those weird bands that I initially laughed off as complete shite through laughable vocals and screaming, but after checking out Opeth I'm more interested in checking them out again. What's annoying is that I'm sure I got a free 15 track sampler for them through Metal Hammer magazine, and I think I threw it out to prove a point >_<

So far I've ended up buying:

Cathedral - Garden of Unearthly Delights

Entombed - Morning Star (their amazon preview was insanely good... less said about the other one)

I need to stop buying CDs, seriously. I worked out that I've bought about 35+ cds over the past few months (most of which were £2 or £3 with the odd new release) and a good chunk of them are going to go in my pile of cds I never play... there's just something awesome about spending a tiny amount of money on something you haven't heard of on the basis that it could be your new favourite album ¬_¬

The Cathedral album smelt funny ¬_¬

But yeah I'm starting to like it, but will naturally get pushed to the back of my pile until my b-52's obsession dies down.

Despite my hatred of buying anything else, I decided to go out and support two bands that i've been liking a lot of... but didn't want to spend THAT much money on their albums: Blood Ceremony's debut cd (well... their only cd atm) and Testament's The Formation of Damnation, however thanks to a glitch on HMV.com it's cost me only £4 for the both of them :o

And I've finally got round to pre-ordering the Rammstein album and the Porcupine Tree album (both will never decline in price, so might as well get them early for cheap and get into them)

The following albums might be of interest to you

Judas Priest - Painkiller (It's definitely more metal than any of their other work, frantic guitar + drumming etc and air-raid vocals ¬_¬)

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance (or if you prefer stadium rock more, this is for you)

Helloween - The Time of the Oath (probably more cheesy than anything else you'll encounter... but there's some awesome tunes here that you may love)

Megadeth - Rust In Peace (galloping guitars, songs about everything from the crusades to aliens and everything in between)

About now I'd heavily pimp Dream Theater, Symphony X, Dragonforce or any other power/prog metal I can think of, but those four should keep you occupied until you want to progress more into the genre.

• Like 1

So I discovered Iron Maiden a hundred years after everybody else did, but does anyone know bands that sound similar to them?

If you didn't already, definitely check out Bruce Dickinson solo. Especially Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are essential for any fan.

Others worth checking out:

Saxon - Unleash the Beast (along with Maiden, Saxon was probably the best NWOBHM band and among the most famous)

Judas Priest - British Steel (probably the most accessible Priest album, and among their best)

Accept - Balls to the Wall (if you don't mind nonsensible lyrics)

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (the Dio-era Sabbath was not far from the NWOBHM sound)

Also if you're interested in the origins of the NWOBHM sound, you might want to give a few of those early proto metal albums a spin:

UFO - Phenomenon

Rainbow - Rising

and finally some new shit:

Machine Men - Circus of Fools (total Bruce Dickinson/Iron Maiden worship)

Thunderstone - Tools of Destruction (straight up heavy metal)

Mystic Prophecy - Fireangel (aggressive power metal)

So I discovered Iron Maiden a hundred years after everybody else did, but does anyone know bands that sound similar to them?

Saxon, Angel Witch, Satan, Blitzkrieg, Blind Fury... basically any NWOBHM. Helloween's first album Walls of Jericho is also great.