(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Been listening to a fair bit of The Sword the last few days. That shit's good. Can't really hear the lyrics to a understandable level above the music, but the riffs more than make up for it. It damn sure wakes you up at 6.45am on a Monday morning though. (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

Gave Five Finger Death Punch's "War is the Answer" a spin on Last.FM last night. Pretty damn fucking good. The songs where the guy actually sings are my favourite ones, but maybe that's because it's just what I prefer in rock/metal music than growling. Their cover of "Bad Company" is a prime example of this. Actually, they seem to do pretty good covers, as I discovered them through a cover of Faith No More's "From out of Nowhere" on Bruce Dickinson's radio show about a year ago.

• 3 weeks later...

WARNING! The following post contains heavy pimping.

My friends' band Mind Factory, for whom I write lyrics, went to master their new album today. They managed to get a pretty accomplished guy to do it - the man's resume includes mastering albums for Rammstein, Soulfly, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Backyard Babies, Korpiklaani, Apocalyptica and Bullet For My Valentine. So it should be prrrretty good...

So the band is called Mind Factory, and they're a melodic, Opeth-esque metal band, with both male and female vocals. They have some older songs on MySpace. The songs Medication and Betrayal are from their 2007 demo EP called Medication. Black Angel is from their first demo Black Angel from 2005. It was recorded with their previous female vocalist. I've written the lyrics for Medication.

Mind you, their style has evolved greatly from 2005. In those days, they were much more straightforward metal, with influences from Pantera, Testament, Children Of Bodom and such. Since then, bands like Opeth and Swallow The Sun has influenced them greatly, leading to a more melodic, atmospheric and even a bit progressive style. The new album, which will carry the name Ghost, has 8 or so songs and will be released around February. They're hoping to attract the interest of record companies with this recording. I wouldn't mind at all if that happened. ;)

*end pimping here*

The only problem with pimping local unknown bands is that it's impossible to torrent their discography while you work out if you like them or not ¬_¬

Started getting back into metal lately after finally getting round to listening to Nightwish then discovering Amberian Dawn

Can anyone rec me some 'epic' metal? Up until Amberian Dawn I was finding it hard to find a good mix of Power Metal without the cheese ¬_¬

The only problem with pimping local unknown bands is that it's impossible to torrent their discography while you work out if you like them or not ¬_¬

True, but they don't even have a real discography yet. You can get some kind of picture of their music by listening to the songs on their MySpace. :) Or you can order their previous record for only 6 euros +postage! ;)

Can anyone rec me some 'epic' metal? Up until Amberian Dawn I was finding it hard to find a good mix of Power Metal without the cheese ¬_¬

Well, if you want epic, then Rhapsody (or Rhapsody of Fire nowadays) isyour way to go. Although they tend to get a bit cheesy at times... Butthey've collaborated with Christopher Lee! :) And of course there's always the kings of power metal, Stratovarius. I especially recommend their four best albums: Episode, Visions, Destiny and Infinite. They're about as good power metal as you can get.

Edited by Jayzon

Well, if you want epic, then Rhapsody (or Rhapsody of Fire nowadays) isyour way to go. Although they tend to get a bit cheesy at times... Butthey've collaborated with Christopher Lee! :) And of course there's always the kings of power metal, Stratovarius. I especially recommend their four best albums: Episode, Visions, Destiny and Infinite. They're about as good power metal as you can get.

Rhapsody is probably THE cheesiest metal band out there today. Stratovarius is okay especially Visions. But if you want epic, just with a bit more crunch and with plenty of power and melody, here's a few albums worth checking out (with a Youtube sample):

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga (1996)

Rage - XII (1998)

From the Cradle to the Grave

Savatage - The Wake of Magellan (1998)

The Hourglass

The last one is one of my favourite songs of all time. The counterpoint vocals that start around the five minute mark are absolutely larger than life. Also if you're into rock operas, check out Savatage's Streets. And Dead Winter Dead. And Gutter Ballet - the title track especially is spectacular.

For Epic with a capital E, Summoning is a pretty good choice. They're nowhere near power metal, but especially their later efforts like "Oath Bound" and "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" just pile on the epic keyboards and guitars like there was no end.

Moonsorrow is pretty much the epic-est of epic pagan metal bands. The tracks are long, the riffs are fucking massive and the keyboards soar like eagles.

The only thing with both Summoning and Moonsorrow is that the vocals are very screechy and black metal-oriented for the most part. There are clean vocal and choir parts intermixed throughout the albums, but the prevalent method of vocal delivery is the "file on a cable"-sort of deal.

• 5 weeks later...

Mind Factory, a seven-piece metal band from Mikkeli, Finland, have released two new songs from their upcoming album Ghost. The new songs are called Final Amendment and Amelie. You can check the new songs out here. In addition, there are some of their older songs on the site.

The guys & gals in the band are my friends, and I've written lyrics for them for years. Of the two new songs I've co-written Amelie, and came up with the title for Final Amendment.

Mind Factory plays melodic metal with both male growling vocals and female clean vocals, and also have a violinist. Their main influences include Pantera, Dream Theater, Swallow the Sun & Opeth, among many others.

Check them out, and give your thoughts! :)

If you are a fan of doom, stoner or just chunky Sabbath-style groove and riffing, and have not yet listened to Black Pyramid, then you are a bad person. This is just monumentally haunting stuff, I can hardly praise it enough. Go listen to some right now, and get their debut full-length from last year too!

http://www.myspace.com/blackpyramidkills

I've been checking out some of the bands announced for Bloodstock so far and have really really been liking both Amorphis and Gojira. For the former, I've listened to the 'Silent Waters' album, the latter 'From Mars to Sirius'. Are these indicative are what I can expect them to play live?

Oh, and The Heaviest Matter Of The Universe kicks so much arse.

www.myspace.com/enemoj

That's my band, 'Enemo-J'. Check us out if you like, We've been likened to Sepultura/Soulfly, American Headcharge, Raging speedhorn etc etc.

We've got 2 general release records, available on Amazon / Play / iTunes / HMV etc etc (or if you look hard enough, there are torrents around...but shhhhhhh!)

Albums are called:

"The Angels Will Return For Us"

and

"Live By Wish, Not By Hope"

Had some good support slots in the past and coming up (Napalm Death, Reging Speedhorn and we're supporting Sylosis in March). We've gigged a fair bit over the last year just trying to get back in to the swing of things after a major lineup change (only 2 original members, of which I'm one and I left the band for 5 years before I rejoined last year!). We've also been put forward for Download Festival this year, so that'd be nice!

If anybody likes what they hear then let me know, always interested in feedback (positive or negative)!

Sorry, I'll stop pimping myself out now........

I've been checking out some of the bands announced for Bloodstock so far and have really really been liking both Amorphis and Gojira. For the former, I've listened to the 'Silent Waters' album, the latter 'From Mars to Sirius'. Are these indicative are what I can expect them to play live?

Oh, and The Heaviest Matter Of The Universe kicks so much arse.

Gonna have to pass on the Amorphis question, but yeah "From Mars To Sirius" is a very good representation of Gojira. You should check out their latest effort "The Way Of All Flesh" as well,

In festival-related news, Finland's biggest outdoor festival Tuska is featuring a shitload of excellent death metal this year, including Bloodbath, Nile, Cannibal Corpse and Obituary, as well as some small-name acts like Testament, Megadeth and Satyricon. Also featured: The Devin Townsend Project, and the world-first premier of Ziltoid the Omniscient, live.

It is good to be Nordic (H)

• 2 weeks later...