(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

My band's singer is really into Iced Earth and he showed me this band "Pyramaze" that had Matt Barlow from Iced Earth in it. Pretty good. There was another similar band he showed me but I can't remember their name. We pretty much blast power metal any time we go out together.

So after checking through the Play.com sale and finding several albums I'd been monitoring for a while cheap I also discovered that there are plenty of Paradise Lost and Opeth albums there too.

So with student loans to burn, what Opeth or Paradise Lost should I be checking out?

For Opeth I'd say Blackwater Park, Watershed and Damnation. :)

Add Ghost Reveries to that mix. Not quite on the same level as the 3 afformentioned albums but it's still great.

CHILDREN~! I have RETURNED!

And once again, I ask for some bands!

I have been really getting into Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Hammerfall and Dragonland these past couple of months.

Can anyone name some bands/albums I should take a look at? :)

Thanks,

Tha' D.

Two albums immediately come to mind:

Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor

Pyramaze - Immortal

The Savage Circus vocalist is a dead ringer for Hansi Kursch, and Thomen Stauch plays drums for them. It's 90's style Blind Guardian (speed/power/thrash).

Pyramaze doesn't really sound that much like Iced Earth (or not as good, I'd say), but they did have Matt Barlow singing for them in this album.

Also, if you're up for Broadway-style bombastic heavy metal check out Savatage's Wake of Magellan. That is epic. For something more aggressive, more thrash, but with groove, give a listen to Annihilator's Carnival Diablos.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Clutch album, "Strange Cousins From The West," comes out next Tuesday but it's streaming on AOL Music right now.

You can listen HERE.

My favorite tracks are: 50,000 Unstoppable Watts, Abraham Lincoln, Minotaur, Witchdoctor, Freakonomics, and Sleestack Lightning

Figured I'd stick this here instead of creating a new topic.

It really reminds me of RiP era Megadeth, and I'll probably be picking up the new album solely on that basis. Naturally the rest of it will be gash ¬_¬

I'm only a casual Megadeth listener, but that was pretty good.

Probably not picking up the album though. There's just too much other interesting metal to listen to and buy. I do have three of their CDs - Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to just order maybe one or two Opeth or Paradise Lost albums, then I ended up getting caught up in the frenzy of the sales ¬_¬

So here's my overall haul

Paradise Lost - Icon

Paradise Lost - One Second

Paradise Lost - Symbol of Life

Paradise Lost - Draconian Times

Opeth - Deliverance

Opeth - Damnation

Opeth - Blackwater Park

Sabbat - A History of Time To Come

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion

Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

Initially I hated Sabbat, but they've grown on me so much over the past few months that I couldn't resist. Only previewed the first few tracks from Draconian Times and Blackwater Park to make me want to get as much of them as possible.

Oh and the overall price for this haul? £31 :D

Naturally I'll be back in a few days saying "Where do I go from here with these bands?" <_<

I have that same Sabbat album. It's pretty extreme for my usual taste, but quite enjoyable. Just takes some time to get used to. I still don't like them as much as I like Skyclad, but Sabbat are certainly among my top ten favourite thrash bands.

Dreamweaver was pretty much an impulse buy last year along with a Helloween album (which name I've completely forgotten) both of these have been creeping into my regular metal playlists.

I figure anything heavier than Dreamweaver will be an awesome soundtrack to nights where I play TF2 too long ¬_¬

Also new Rammstein has leaked, it's just one song but sounds like a return to Mutter form

So recently I got into Amon Amarth after hearing some good things. Saw "With Oden On Our Side" on sale and picked it up. Is the rest of the catalog any good, or is there stuff to avoid?

And also: looking for more metal recommendations. Examples of what I like include: above mentioned album, Burning Human, Swallow the Ocean, Vital Remains, Fear Factory (well - minus the annoying voice of the backup singer). 80s era Metallica and Slayer too, but that's probably most people who listen to metal.

Maiden are better, by far. Because Priest did a lot more shit, and Maiden did a lot more genuinely good stuff. And Bruce Dickinson is a lovely man who may or may not have shagged my ex's mum.

I'd say Maiden have been consistently better, but that Priest are definitely the more diverse of the two. Two great bands either way.

As for the Amon Amarth comment, I only have that akbum and the new one (also good), so I can't comment much further. I will say that they were immense live at Download last year.

So recently I got into Amon Amarth after hearing some good things. Saw "With Oden On Our Side" on sale and picked it up. Is the rest of the catalog any good, or is there stuff to avoid?

And also: looking for more metal recommendations. Examples of what I like include: above mentioned album, Burning Human, Swallow the Ocean, Vital Remains, Fear Factory (well - minus the annoying voice of the backup singer). 80s era Metallica and Slayer too, but that's probably most people who listen to metal.

Amon Amarth are pretty consistent throughout their discography, so it should be no problem to pick up either their newest one "Twilight Of The Thunder God" or the older releases. "The Crusher", "Versus The World" and "Fate Of Norns" are all done with somewhat similar production values as the two most recent ones, whereas their first two "Once Sent From The Golden Hall" and "The Avenger" are a bit more on the raw side in that regard.

If Vital Remains caught your fancy, you should get a kick out of either Deicide's two latest albums "Till Death Do Us Part" and "The Stench Of Redemption" or Dismember's "The God That Never Was" and "Dismember". Both share the same level of accomplished guitar play, Dismember more than Deicide but it's all good.

Probably not the most popular band in the metal scene but my god the new Kittie song on their myspace brings it hard. It's a super tight heavy song with some great screaming and singing on the vocals. Morgan Lander has an amazing voice, both her screams and clean parts. For whatever reason those girls really know how to make great metal. I see a lot of bands trying to do straight up metal but no one really come close to what Kittie has done with their last album and will do with the new one. Seriously can't wait for it. If you like some more classic sounding heavy metal and don't mind the female vocals, check it out.

It's all pretty awesome. You neeeed Twilight of the Thunder Gods though, purely for the titular track. Although all of it is awesome.

After reading a lot of people compare the two bands on Youtube, I'm curious what EWB thinks.

Who do you prefer? Judas Priest or Iron Maiden?

Me: Judas Priest.

Nah, Maiden. Halford Priest is great, but Ripper Priest was absolute cock. Even without the Ripper incident, I'd still go with Maiden, though Priest are still great too.