(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

You know how you ignore some bands, even though you "know" you'll like them? Like, you just assume that you'll like them and therefore don't bother to buy any of their stuff? Or is that just me?

Anyway, I did that with Amon Amarth for ages - I kept listening to Twilight of the Thundergods on Youtube for ages because I loved it, but I only recently got around to buying the album... fuck yes! Why did it take me so long? Even more excited for Bloodstock now.

So, next on the list of "bands I really should get around to one day...": Falchion.

Duuuuuude *High five*

To be honest, I prefer the previous album 'With Oden By Our Side'. It has some seriously awesome songs like 'Cry of the Blackbirds', 'Runes To My Memory' and 'Valhall Awaits Me'. Check it out :D

But listening to their other albums would require taking Live For The Kill off repeat... :shifty:

The first listen of that was awesome. It went something like "oooh, coool, strings. Wait... APOCALYPTICA~! *markout*". Wish the last vocal section over the top of Apocalyptica lasted more than three lines though, it sounded awesome.

Edited by Farmer Reil

When talking Amon Amarth dont forget The Avenger! That is a pretty brutal album from them. Metalwrath has a great intro as well, all in the spirit of angry Norse Gods and their Viking mutilators.

Edited by SRN O)))

Bought the new Old Man's Child and 1349 today. Just giving 1349 a spin, first taste of their stuff, and I likey.

Are we talking Revelations Of The Black Flame here? If yes, how is it? Having gotten around to listening to it yet but I most certainly will at some point because I absolutely adored Hellfire and Beyond The Apocalypse.

I personally like it, but I've not heard any of their earlier stuff, and this is seen as a bit of a departure from what they usually do, IIRC. A bit more ambient and industrial sounding stuff mixed in with the black metal, interests me at least.

I got the new Wolves in the Throne Room album a week ago. I know people who love it, and Ex Cathedra is #1 on the top 10 countdown in the college station's metal show. I just can't see where it's so awesomeness. I've listened to it a few times, and it's alright. Not really my style I guess.

The fact that every song is 10 minutes plus long, just seems to go on and on and on.

Edited by Lowerdeck

When talking Amon Amarth dont forget The Avenger! That is a pretty brutal album from them. Metalwrath has a great intro as well, all in the spirit of angry Norse Gods and their Viking mutilators.

When talking Amon Amarth you can pretty much slam the entire discography right there, every album has their share of blood-boilingly good viking tracks that make you set off and rape England's coastline all over again. Case(s) in point, "Death In Fire" and "Across The Rainbow Bridge" off of Versus The World, or "The Pursuit Of Vikings" and "The Beheading Of A King" off of "Fate Of Norns". Anything, really! Also, another band that needs more love after a period of nothing-doing on my playlists and stereo, motherfucking Moonsorrow. Goddamn I love Scandinavia, let's see Japan or whoever make music THIS awesome about their ancestors. :shifty:

Also came to post how similar some old-school Benediction sounds to modern-day Napalm Death... Then realized Barney Greenway was the vocalist for Benediction up until "Grind Bastard" or something :(

Okay, here's the who's offered to do what list for the EWB Guide to Metal

Jushin 'Thunder' Liam - Death/Doom/Black Metal (and a bit of thrash...)

Farmer Reil - Power & Folk?

nwo Hollywood - Power/Speed Metal

lari - (Proto-) Metal

Sterrob - Prog Metal

Bushmeister - see Liam.

Evil Chase K - Stoner Metal

Verbal Puke - Thrash Metal

General helpers:

Nevermore

wolves

Apologies if I missed anyone. I like the list that lari suggested a few pages back. Here it is below, with Folk metal added:

Heavy Metal (proto metal)

NWOBHM

Glam Metal

Power Metal

Prog Metal

Thrash Metal

Death Metal

Black Metal

Doom Metal

Goth Metal

Industrial Metal

Nu-Metal

Folk Metal

How about this for an ideas then - A general introduction/history of metal, where the above genres are namedropped throughout, followed by entries by each of us charting more definitively each of the genres. At the end we could have a small 'pioneers' section where you each list what are considered to be the best introductions to said genre, as well as the pinnacle of it too. At the very end you could add a 'writer's recommendation' where you put one or two of your own preferences in.

How does that sound?

If that's all gravy then we could probably get started on it. Liam and bush can cover black, death and doom between them. nwo Hollywood and Reil can work on power metal, with Reil doing Folk metal too. The others seem self explanatory.

As for Nevermore and wolves, if you're still interested, then what would you like to do?

Edited by DFF/WFS

Since the bulk of you seem to dig Power Metal, I figured you'd like this. I was just watching my roommate play Sacred 2 on the 360 and apparently he had to get some musical instruments for the quest. When he finished it, his reward was a cut-scene of a Blind Guardian concert...but not an actual filmed concert but an in-game one, with monsters from the game in the audience and the band playing guitars shaped like axes. Better yet, your character gets the instruments as a reward, so needless to say, my roommate is currently killing bad guys with a flaming guitar.

Since the bulk of you seem to dig Power Metal, I figured you'd like this. I was just watching my roommate play Sacred 2 on the 360 and apparently he had to get some musical instruments for the quest. When he finished it, his reward was a cut-scene of a Blind Guardian concert...but not an actual filmed concert but an in-game one, with monsters from the game in the audience and the band playing guitars shaped like axes. Better yet, your character gets the instruments as a reward, so needless to say, my roommate is currently killing bad guys with a flaming guitar.

I think I saw a video or something like that online. I knew it was from a game.

Hmm just stumbled upon the four Dream Theater 'live cover albums'... I have no idea what to think of them. On one hand it's Dream Theater covering a good portion of songs that are beyond awesome... on the other hand most of them are just note for note covers.

Bah, on the plus side it's made me listen to Machine Head by Deep Purple again :D

Also, another band that needs more love after a period of nothing-doing on my playlists and stereo, motherfucking Moonsorrow. Goddamn I love Scandinavia, let's see Japan or whoever make music THIS awesome about their ancestors. :shifty:

I always get confused between Moonsorrow and Moonspell. One is awesome, the other suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Can never remember which is which.:(

Oh, and Samurai Metal would be an awesome guitar-wankery fest, you just know it.

Also, another band that needs more love after a period of nothing-doing on my playlists and stereo, motherfucking Moonsorrow. Goddamn I love Scandinavia, let's see Japan or whoever make music THIS awesome about their ancestors. :shifty:

I always get confused between Moonsorrow and Moonspell. One is awesome, the other suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Can never remember which is which.:(

Oh, and Samurai Metal would be an awesome guitar-wankery fest, you just know it.

Moonsorrow are the black folk band who did the awesome V: Havittetty (probably too many t's there) album consisting of 2 songs of around half an hour each.

New Anaal Nathrakh... just wow. How do these guys step it up on every album like this? I'll admit, "Hell is Emtpy..." wasn't as good as the previous album, but had some killer songs. The new album though just blows it all away. If you're into blackened death metal, give it a listen. It's called "In The Constellation Of The Black Widow".

This is pretty cool metal news. >.>

Seattle metallers NEVERMORE will enter the studio in August with producer (and SOILWORK guitarist) Peter Wichers (who previously worked with NEVERMORE vocalist Warrel Dane on Dane's solo debut, "Praises to the War Machine") to begin recording their long-awaited follow-up to 2005's "This Godless Endeavor", tentatively due in early 2010 via Century Media Records. Longtime friend and collaborator Andy Sneap (MEGADETH, ARCH ENEMY, EXODUS, MACHINE HEAD) will once again be handling mixing duties.

Commented Dane: "These songs are full of newfound rage, lyrically and musically. Jeff Loomis has come up with some amazing new riffs that will no doubt please old and new fans alike. Also, I think the combination of Peter and Andy will result in something very, very special."

Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "Emptiness Unobstructed" and "Without Morals".