(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

The two songs that they've released from Fozzy's upcoming "chasing the Grail" album sound massive.

Just further proof of the awesome that is Jericho.

Dude, those don't sound that good. Hopefully the album is much better. Since I'm sure I will end up picking it up. I'm such a sucker for anything Chris Jericho. I actually used to like Fozzy a lot.

Happenstance was an awesome album - and not just the covers, the Fozzy originals were great. All That Remains was just bland. Mediocre at best. And these new songs don't seem any better.

This is the only place I think this question should go... But, which band's version of "Dissident Agressor" do you like more? Judas Priest or Slayer?

Priest by far. One of my favourite transitions ever is the one on Sin After Sin when Here Come the Tears turns into Dissident Aggressor. Slayer's cover version isn't even that good, in my opinion. I guess it's a matter of preference, since the sound is so different though. But one thing is for sure - Araya does not have the lungs Halford does.

I have this Judas Priest tribute compilation where Forbidden covers Dissident Aggressor. It ain't that special, and I think even the Slayer version trumps it.

• 2 weeks later...

LD's current metal rotation:

Misery Index - Traitors

Man Must Die - No Tolerance for Imperfection

Suffocation - Blood Oath

Dethklok - Dethalbum II

Chthonic - Mirror of Retribution

Vader - Necropolis

Revocation - Existence is Futile

Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate

Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity

plus

Born of Osiris - A Higher Place

Winds of Plague - Great Stone War

Gojira - Terra Incognita

Between the Buried and Me - Great Misdirect

Likely going to get the new Slayer album on Tuesday. Considering Skeletonwitch or Red Chord, but fence sitting on those. Anyone recommend or not? Might be interested in new and good doom metal also.

LD, how is Terra Incognita? It is the only album I am missing from my Gojira collection so yeah, is it any good?

Seems pretty good, but I've only listened to it a couple times so far.

The only other Gojira album I have is From Mars To Sirius, which I probably should listen to more than I have.

EDIT: FMTS I had an issue with the vocals. It was more like screaming. Terra sounds a bit nicer in that department.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Well, I can't talk unbiased because I am a major Devin Townsend fan. However, I find Addicted enjoyable because it feels so much different then from all his other stuff; its fun-loving, party-like, has some swanky guitar riffs and is just a generally awesomely hilarious album. It isn't technical, it isn't brutal or anything, its just a fun release.

• 2 weeks later...

New:

Misery Index - Retaliate

Misery Index - Discordia

Dying Fetus - War of Attrition

Job for a Cowboy - Ruination

Dirge Within - Force Fed Lies

Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God

Pelican - What We All Come To Need

Converge - Axe To Fall

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten / Pierced From Within