(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

You guys are lucky. Here in Fort Lauderdale all we get coming to us is Slayer, and that's when they tour with Marylin Manson.

Every other metal band I look up for tour dates come to Orlando at the closest, which is a five hour drive WITH good traffic.

You guys are lucky. Here in Fort Lauderdale all we get coming to us is Slayer, and that's when they tour with Marylin Manson.

Every other metal band I look up for tour dates come to Orlando at the closest, which is a five hour drive WITH good traffic.

ALL you get is Slayer?

Blasphemy.

Don't get me wrong, getting to see Slayer was totally awesome, and it was worth sitting through Manson to get to see them play.

But other than Slayer, NOBODY else I care about comes down. And the local scene, well, there's only two local acts I think of that are even worth mentioning. One is 1000 Pounds of Thrust, who aren't terrible, but not a band I'd pay money to see. The other is called Warrick, I've seen them twice at local wrestling shows, and they pretty much did 30-second covers of Metallica songs.

When I say "All we get is Slayer", I mean it like, going to a resturant and all they have is steak. Is steak good? Yes, of course. But sometimes you want to have ribs, or a hamburger, or hot wings.

So Slayer coming down here is definately a good thing, but I'd also like so see other bands too. Namely Testament, Iced Earth or Six Feet Under just to name a few. You think a Florida based band like SFU would do concerts across Florida....

I have not seen a metal show yet.

The New England Metal and Hardcore Festival will enter year 12 this April with an eclectic mixture of bands from the metal and hardcore genres. Returning to the Palladium in Worcester, Mass., the event will take place on Friday, April 23 and Saturday, April 24, with an extra special pre-party sponsored by Atticus on Thursday, April 22.

Bands performing on Friday April 23 include Mastodon, Between The Buried And Me, Baroness, Valiant Thor, Cro Mags, Doomriders, Earth Crisis, Death Threat, Death Before Dishonor, Nachtmystium, Architect UK, After The Burial, COA, American Me, Thick As Blood, Forfeit, XTheWarX, Grave Maker, Rose Funeral, Conducting From The Grave and Howl. Doors open at 3:00PM

Bands performing on Saturday April 24 include Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, Job For A Cowboy, Whitechapel, Skeletonwitch, Eluveite, 1349, Impending Doom, Lecherous, Nocturne, Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, Chelsea Grin, Abacabb, Arsonists Get All The Girls, Malefice, Swashbuckle, Cattle Decapitation, Acaro, Holy Grail, Disembodied, Cruel Hand, Reign Supreme, The Mongoloids, XTyrantX, Foundation, Soul Control, Alpha & Omega, Burning Empires, Mother Of Mercy, Gaza, Across The Sun and Monsters. Doors open at noon.

And Saturday there would look like a great potential first, especially since I really like Amon Amarth.

That does sound like a great lineup.... well, except for Jobforacowboy that is...

One day I'm going to move to a place with a metal scene. I hear Alberquerque's good for that.

Finnish metal festival Tuska Open Air has announced several new artists for this summer's festival: Municipal Waste, Ihsahn, Armed for Apocalypse, Turmion Kätilöt and Survivors Zero. The whole lineup looks like this (one band is still to be announced):

Friday, July 2nd, 2010

Devin Townsend – Ziltoid The Omniscient supershow

Satyricon

Tarot

Testament

Ihsahn

Pain

Insomnium

Barren Earth

Obituary

Swallow The Sun

Rytmihäiriö

The Arson Project

Saturday, July 3rd, 2010

Mastodon

Kamelot

Devin Townsend Project

Hypocrisy

Municipal Waste

Overkill

Survivors Zero

Holy Grail

Sotajumala

Bloodbath

Armed For Apocalypse

FM2000

Torture Killer

Sunday, July 4th, 2010

Megadeth

Cannibal Corpse

Nile

Trigger The Bloodshed

Turmion Kätilöt

[Amatory]

Warmen

Finntroll

It's a pretty fucking fantastic lineup, if you ask me. I already have a three-day ticket. Man, it's gonna be awesome, can't wait!

So, I bought Christopher Lee's album. It's a bit silly - as is all "symphonic metal" - but it's miles better than I expected. Though Lee actually singing is hilarious.

Yeah, Tuska is insane. I am going there as well, three day ticket as far as I know. I am not going to miss the first and perhaps last live showing of Ziltoid The Omniscient and Devin Townsend Project the day after.

To be honest, he has already done vocals for other bands, or at least spoken word pieces.

Yeah, and he has stated that Rhapsody Of Fire and Manowar are his favourite bands - and both get a "thanks" credit on the new album. But I was expecting melodramatic spoken word with the odd guitar interlude, it's when he tries to sing that it becomes one of the most sublimely bizarre albums of the year so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Opeth Evolution XX show at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday night. All I can say is... wow. Seriously amazing stuff. The band played for around 3 hrs (plus a 20 minute intermission in the middle).

The set list was a thing of sexiness too:

1st Set - Blackwater Park

The Leper Affinity

Bleak

Harvest

The Drapery Falls

Dirge for November

The Funeral Portrait

Patterns in the Ivy

Blackwater Park

2nd Set - The Evolution of Opeth setlist

Forest of October