(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

For Maiden, you should get her to listen to Fear of the Dark (the song). I'd have recommended Aces High and 2 Minutes To Midnight, but you said you already gave her Powerslave to listen to.

For recommendatons, it really depends how `heavy' the metal you want to expose her to is......

• Like 1

I do like Fear of the Dark, and I've got a list of other Maiden songs to have her listen to already.

As for how heavy, I'm making a broad selection. She's not going to give Death Metal the time of day for example, I'm going to start her nearer the 'hard rock' end of the spectrum and gradually make it heavier, but I'll take any suggestion really since I'm sure I'll find something by each band that she'll like.

Plus it'll give me a whole bunch of bands to listen to that I will probably already like, so it's a win-win tbh :P 

Well, if you're including hard rock, I'll recommend a few bands and some songs by them (there's others you could play, but I'll go with what I'd play for someone):

Some Bon Scott era ACDC. I'd go with TNT, Dirty Deeds, Touch Too Much, Whole Lotta Rosie, and *maybe* Big Balls just for fun.

Def Leppard, particularly the songs High n' Dry (Saturday Night), Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop), and Animal.

Motley Crue. Live Wire, Too Young To Fall In Love, Dr. Feelgood, and Home Sweet Home. Avoid You're All I Need, due to the subject matter! (Its about a guy stabbing his girlfriend to death)

Judas Priest. You've Got Another Thing Coming is a must. It goes without saying, don't play Painkiller for her.

Metallica. Enter Sandman. Welcome Home (Sanitarium), No Leaf Clover, Unforgiven, and Nothing Else Matters.  Avoid anything off St. Anger.

Toss in Thunderkiss 65 by White Zombie, if you want to expose her to groove metal. its a good starter for that. Maybe blow her mind with some symphonic metal. Especially some Tarja era Nightwish or Khan era Kamelot. (I'd go with The Haunting for Kamelot, since its Khan and the singer from Epica)

4 hours ago, Jericode said:

Patrons of the Metal Thread, I am in need of your assistance.

My girlfriend, who until yesterday I believed only liked pop and pop-punk music, has revealed to me that she watched the Download highlights on Sky Arts over the past few days (we went for just the Friday so she wanted to catch bands from the other days) and has now revealed she likes Iron Maiden. After asking why she'd never listened to them before, she said she read that they were heavy metal and just wrote them off as screaming nonsense.

I need help convincing her that metal isn't just the screaming she hates but can actually make for some damn good songs, but whilst I do like some metal, I'm probably nowhere near as educated in it as a lot of you are (or maybe I am and just don't know it, which would prove the same point :shifty: )

I've got Powerslave and Number of the Beast by Maiden which I've given her to start, and I'm gonna recommend her some Black Sabbath when she's done, but after that my quiver is empty. Can you all point me in the right direction so I can make her see sense? :P

Have her check out Angel Witch and Armored Saint.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jericode said:

Patrons of the Metal Thread, I am in need of your assistance.

My girlfriend, who until yesterday I believed only liked pop and pop-punk music, has revealed to me that she watched the Download highlights on Sky Arts over the past few days (we went for just the Friday so she wanted to catch bands from the other days) and has now revealed she likes Iron Maiden. After asking why she'd never listened to them before, she said she read that they were heavy metal and just wrote them off as screaming nonsense.

I need help convincing her that metal isn't just the screaming she hates but can actually make for some damn good songs, but whilst I do like some metal, I'm probably nowhere near as educated in it as a lot of you are (or maybe I am and just don't know it, which would prove the same point :shifty: )

I've got Powerslave and Number of the Beast by Maiden which I've given her to start, and I'm gonna recommend her some Black Sabbath when she's done, but after that my quiver is empty. Can you all point me in the right direction so I can make her see sense? :P

Do you have Spotify? Might be worth making a playlist!

With that in mind...

Iron Maiden
Did she say whether she preferred the short singles or the long tracks with lengthy instrumentals? I've included some of each below either way (I've not included any Number of the Beast or Powerslave tracks as you've got those):
The Singles: Can I Play With Madness, The Trooper, Wicker Man. This way you have two classics and an underrated later-era Maiden track.
Epics: Fear of the Dark, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Empire of the Clouds. Two classics, one of which is a regular staple, plus imo the best track they've ever written.

Metallica
Enter Sandman, Whiskey in the Jar, Nothing Else Matters (live S&M version is a belter).
Then, assuming she enjoys them:
The Unforgiven, The Memory Remains, Master of Puppets

And here's a selection of tracks, everything from hard rock to heavy/power/speed metal:
HammerFall - Hero's Return, Hearts on Fire, The Dragon Lies Bleeding
Stratovarius - Eagleheart, Hunting High and Low
Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire - Emerald Sword
Helloween - I Want Out, Dr. Stein, The Keeper of the Seven Keys
Sabaton - Cliffs of Gallipoli, 40-1, Primo Victoria
Accept - Balls to the Wall, Teutonic Terror
Avantasia - When Clock Hands Freeze
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long, Thunderstruck
Airbourne - Too Much Too Young Too Fast, Runnin' Wild
Alestorm - Nancy the Tavern Wench, Keelhauled
Motley Crue - Livewire, Dr. Feelgood
Judas Priest - Living After Midnight, You Got Another Thing coming, Turbo Lover
Rainbow - Catch the Rainbow, Stargazer, Kill the King, Gates of Babylon
Dio - Rainbow in the Dark, Holy Diver
Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Iron Man, Heaven & Hell
Uriah Heep - Easy Livin', Gypsy
UFO - Doctor Doctor, Rock Bottom
Blind Guardian - Wheel of Time, Another Stranger Me, The Bard's Tale
The Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Who I Am
Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love, Eyes of a Stranger, Silent Lucidity
Edguy - King of Fools, Vain Glory Opera
Wolf - Hail Caesar, Voodoo
Nightwish - Nemo, Ghost Love Score, Amaranthe, The Poet and the Pendulum, Endless Forms Most Beautiful, The Greatest Show on Earth (2 from each singer, a mix of singles and epics).
Saxon - 747 (Strangers in the Night), ...And The Band's Played On, Princess of the Night
Whitesnake - Here I Go Again, Still of the Night
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love, Immigrant Song, Kashmir
Alice Cooper - Poison, School's Out, Brutal Planet (2 classics, and an underrated metal song from their later years).

... I'll edit more in later when I'm not at work :P

EDIT:

Bloodbound - Nosferatu, Moria
Sonata Arctica - Full Moon, Victoria's Secret, Black Sheep
Grand Magus - Varangian, Hammer of the North
Unisonic - Your Time Has Come, Exceptional, Unisonic
While Heaven Wept - The Furthest Shore
Candlemass - If I Ever Die, The Bleeding Baroness, Hammer of Doom
Rival Sons - Keep on Swingin', Jordan
Graveyard - Hisingen Blues, Uncomfortably Numb, Longing
Manowar - Warriors of the World
Wisdom - Rise of the Wise, Take Me to Neverland
Pagan's Mind - Hallo Spaceboy (cracking Bowie cover)
Eden's Curse - Masquerade Ball, Just Like Judas
Angel Witch - Angel Witch, Atlantis
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me, Animal, Rocket
Van Halen - Aint Talkin' 'Bout Love, Jump, Panama, Running With the Devil
Ratt - Round and Round
Anvil - Metal on Metal
Sinner - Bad Girl, Born to Rock
Within Temptation - Mother Earth, Ice Queen, Faster

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Superb, thank you!

No probs. I've thrown a few extra ones in there now too.

• Like 1

Toss in some Lacuna Coil, too. I'd definitely go with Die & Rise and Spellbound.

I like DFF's recommendations, except I wouldn't go with Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard until she's heard some of their harder stuff. I'm a huge 80's Def Lep fan, and I personally am sick of that song and wouldn't use it as an intro to the band.

22 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Toss in some Lacuna Coil, too. I'd definitely go with Die & Rise and Spellbound.

I like DFF's recommendations, except I wouldn't go with Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard until she's heard some of their harder stuff. I'm a huge 80's Def Lep fan, and I personally am sick of that song and wouldn't use it as an intro to the band.

I basically was aiming for a bluffer's guide to hard rock and heavy metal - for me, that means you include PSSOM. (I'm assuming Code's gf has had relatively little exposure to these genres, so you've gotta include the big ones).

1 hour ago, DFF said:

I basically was aiming for a bluffer's guide to hard rock and heavy metal - for me, that means you include PSSOM. (I'm assuming Code's gf has had relatively little exposure to these genres, so you've gotta include the big ones).

Unless she's secretly a metal head (which I doubt) I don't think she's had that much exposure, as I said she gets generally turned off by the word 'metal'. I was surprised enough when I got her to listen to Shinedown, who aren't exactly that heavy.

I think a Spotify playlist where I just mix a whole bunch together is gonna be the best way to do this. I'll have to work through half the list myself since I've honestly never heard of some of them :P 

15 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I just wouldn't willingly subject anyone to Def Leppard.

Pfft! I'm from Sheffield, so that's basically heresy. :P

15 hours ago, Jericode said:

Unless she's secretly a metal head (which I doubt) I don't think she's had that much exposure, as I said she gets generally turned off by the word 'metal'. I was surprised enough when I got her to listen to Shinedown, who aren't exactly that heavy.

I think a Spotify playlist where I just mix a whole bunch together is gonna be the best way to do this. I'll have to work through half the list myself since I've honestly never heard of some of them :P 

Just whack the lot into a playlist and hit shuffle :)

Some melodic stuff DFF hasn't mentioned yet:

Almanac – Self-Blinded Eyey, Hands Are Tied

Amberian Dawn – River Of Tuoni, Fame And Gloria

Andre Matos – Letting Go, Remember Why

Angra – Carry On, Z.I.T.O., Nova Era

Anthem – Shine On, The Voices

Armored Saint – Last Train Home, Win Hands Down

Astral Doors – Testament Of Rock, New Revelation

At Vance – Only Human, Broken Vow, The Evil In You, The Brave And The Strong

Axxis – Living In A World, Doom Of Destiny

Black Majesty – Forever Diamond

Bruce Dickinson – Freak, Chemical Wedding

Cain's Offering – Oceans Of Regret. Dawn Of Solace

Chroming Rose – Lous XIV

Concerto Moon – Savior Never Cry, Angel Of Chaos

Deep Purple – Black Night, Burn, Perfect Strangers, Stormbringer

Dokken – Tooth And Nail, Dream Warriors

Dream Evil – Children Of The Night, The Book Of Heavy Metal

Edguy – Down To The Devil, Sacrifice, Return To The Tribe, Speedhoven

Europe – In The Future To Come, Scream Of Anger

Evergrey – King Of Errors, A Touch Of Blessing, Recreation Day, I'm Sorry

Evil Masquerade – Welcome To The Show

Falconer – Northwind, Carnival Of Disgust, Enter The Glade, The Past Sill Lives On

Firewind – Between Heaven And Hell, Mercenary Man, Head Up High, Tyranny

Freedom Call – Eyes Of The World

Galneryus – Burn My Heart, Silent Revolution, There's No Escape

Gamma Ray – One With The World, Heaven Can Wait, Lust For Life (the original version with Ralf Scheepers), Beyond The Blackhole, Rebellion In Dreamland

Gloryhammer – Angus McFife

Golden Resurrection – See My Commands

Grand Magus – Sword Of The Ocean, Triump And Power, Valhalla Rising

Grave Digger – Coming Home, The Last Supper, Ballad Of A Hangman, Lionheart

Helloween Andi Deris-era: Power, The Departed, All Over The Nations, Heroes, Nabatea

Herman Frank – 7 Stars

Hibria – Steel Lord On Wheels, Tiger Punch

Hollow Haze – Rain of Fire Lights

Holy Grail – My Last Attack, Ride The Void

Human Fortress – The Dragon's Lair, Thieves Of The Night

Iron Mask – Shadow Of The Red Baron

Iron Savior – Starlight, Burning Heart, The Savior, From Far Beyond Time

Joe Lynn Turner – Blood Red Sky, End Of The Line

Jorn – Sunset Station, Out To Every Nation, World Gone Mad

Kamelot – Forever, Ghost Opera

Labyrinth – New Horizons, Moonlight

Lancer – Running From The Tyrant

Last Tribe – Spellbound, Witch Dance

Lynch Mob – Wicked Sensation

Masterplan – Spirit Never Dies, Lost And Gone, Sail On, Back For My Life, Crimson Rider

Michael Schenker Group – On And On, Assault Attack, Live And Let Live

Mind Odyssey – Schizophenia, Men Of No Return

Mob Rules – Trail By Fire, All Above The Atmosphere, Celebration Day

Motörhead – Killed By Death, Ace Of Spades, Smiling Like A Killer, Damage Case

Nocturnal Rites – New World Messiah, Wake Up Dead

Orden Ogan – To The End, We Are Pirates, F.E.V.E.R.

Ozzy Osbourne – Crazy Train, Bark At The Moon, Mama I'm Coming Home

Power Quest – Rising Anew, Far Away

Powerwolf – Resurrection By Erection, We Drink Your Blood, Blessed & Possessed

Pretty Maids – Future World, Back To Back, Mother Of All Lies

Primal Fear – Face The Emptiness, Seven Seals, New Religion, Under The Radar

Project Arcadia – Here To Learn

Pyramaze – Desciples Of The Sun, The Bone Carver

Quiet Riot – Cum On Feel The Noize, Metal Health

Rage – Higher Than The Sky, Deep In The Blackest Hole, From The Cradle To The Grave, Days Of December, Back In Time, Set This World On Fire, Carved In Stone, Back On Track

Rainbow without Dio – Lost On Hollywood, Eyes Of The World, All Night Long, I Surrender, Spotlight Kid, Street Of Dreams, Black Masquerade

Ride The Sky – A Smile from Heaven's Eye, New Protection

Royal Hunt – Running Wild, Last Goodbye, Hard Rain's Coming

Running Wild – Riding The Storm, Bad To The Bone, Conquistadores, Blazon Stone

Santa Cruz – Relentless Renegades, Nothing Compares To You

Savatage – Edge Of Thorns, Gutter Ballet, Jesus Saves

Scorpions – Pictured Life, We'll Burn The Sky, Another Piece Of Meat, Blackout

Secret Sphere – Legend, Line Of Fire

Serious Black – I Seek No Other Life, High And Low

Siletn Force – Man And Machine, Caught in Their Wicked Game#

Sinbreed – Bleed

Spiritual Beggars – Street Fighting Saviors, Left Brain Ambassadors, Turn The Tide

Symphony X – Of Sins And Shadows, Nevermore, The Damnation Game

Thunderstone – Forevermore, Until We Touch the Burning Sun

Vision Divine – The Secret Of Life, Send Me An Angel

Voodoo Circle – No Solution Blues, Graveyard City, Tears In The Rain

Whitesnake – Straight For The Heart, Sailing Ships, Looking For Love, Forevermore

Wuthering Heights – The Desperate Poet, The Raven

Yngwie Malmsteen – Rising Force, Alone In Paradise, Fire In The Sky

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

You mentioned Powerwolf but left out Sanctified With Dynamite? FOR SHAME!!!

I will add:

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under

Dokken - Into The Fire, The Hunter, Burning Like A Flame

Evergrey - Broken Wings

Hellyeah - Moth

Kamelot - The Haunting (I've already mentioned it), March of Mephisto, My Confession (the first two songs are with Roy Khan on vocals.)

Kiske-Somerville - City of Heroes

Masterplan - Time To Be King

Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears, Shot In The Dark

Powerwolf - Sanctified with Dynamite

Rainbow without Dio - Stone Cold

Scorpions - Alien Nation, Rock You Like A Hurricane, Rhythm of Love, The Zoo

Skid Row - I Remember You, Youth Gone Wild

Whitesnake - Is This Love, their cover of the Beatles' Day Tripper

*edited tp add* Hell, play her some Volbeat, if you can stand it. I used to play them by request when i DJ'd, and it was always women who requested them. Dead But Rising and Pearl Heart are good starters for them.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bloodstock has completed its announcements for the top two stages of this year's festival (which happens about a month from now).

Thursday
2nd stage

Phil Campbell's All Starr Band
Psykosis
Sumer
Karybdis
Sublime Eyes

Friday
Main stage

Twisted Sister (last ever UK show)
Behemoth (playing The Satanist in full)
Venom
Corrosion of Conformity
Misery Loves Co.
Stuck Mojo
Evil Scarecrow
Gloryhammer
Hark

2nd stage

Diamond Head
Beyond the Black
Beholder
XII Boar
Foetal Juice
The Charm The Fury
Meta-Statis
Anti-Clone
Brutai
Boss Keloid
Fury

Saturday
Main Stage

Mastodon
Gojira
Paradise Lost
Fear Factory (playing a Demanufacture anniversary set)
Rotting Christ
Akercocke
Vallenfyre
Kill II This
Cambion

2nd stage

Acid Reign
Shining (Nor)
Myrath
One Machine
Misanthrope
Vodun
The King Is Blind
This Is Turin
The Raven Age
Mage
The Heretic Order

Sunday
Main Stage

Slayer
Anthrax
Symphony X
Dragonforce
Satyricon (playing Nemesis Divina in full)
Metal Allegiance
Unearth
Heart of a Coward
Ghost Bath

2nd stage

Goatwhore
Pythia
Memoriam
Vektor
Whispered
Derange
Witchsorrow
Divine Chaos
Krysthla
Sanguine
Desert Storm.

• 4 weeks later...

So the official Dio tribute band (official in that Dio's widow and manager is managing them) Dio Disciples (made up of former Dio Members and different vocalists) closed out the Wacken Open Air this year. As a surprise for the fans they brought out a Dio hologram for the final song of their set. As a one-off thing for special occasions I think it is a great idea. But according to this Rolling Stone article Wendy Dio and the creators of the hologram want to take this one step further. They are planning to take this thing on tour next year. Wendy says they hope to have 6 to 12 songs ready until then while the creators of the hologram are shooting for 14 songs so they can rotate them in and out of the setlist to have some variety. Now I don't know if this tour will be just the Dio hologram singing or of it will be half-hologram/half-some-other-vocalist but either way I really hate this idea. I think for virtual bands like the Gorillaz or that Japanese vocaloid stuff holograms are a great way to present the music to the fans in a concert setting. And I have no problem with using holograms of deceased musicians for special occasions like the Tupac hologram in 2012. But I hate the idea of taking holograms of deceased musicians on tour. Why would anyone want to see that? What you basically get is a band playing along to a backing track of Dio's vocals while watching a computer-generated image of he man. Why would you want to see that? Wouldn't it be much more authentic, cheaper and easier to just get one of the various live DVDs/Blu-Rays that have been released and re-released since he passed away?

But then again this shouldn't come as a surprise given how fixated on the past Heavy Metal is as a whole.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 02:36, Hellraiser said:

So the official Dio tribute band (official in that Dio's widow and manager is managing them) Dio Disciples (made up of former Dio Members and different vocalists) closed out the Wacken Open Air this year. As a surprise for the fans they brought out a Dio hologram for the final song of their set. As a one-off thing for special occasions I think it is a great idea. But according to this Rolling Stone article Wendy Dio and the creators of the hologram want to take this one step further. They are planning to take this thing on tour next year. Wendy says they hope to have 6 to 12 songs ready until then while the creators of the hologram are shooting for 14 songs so they can rotate them in and out of the setlist to have some variety. Now I don't know if this tour will be just the Dio hologram singing or of it will be half-hologram/half-some-other-vocalist but either way I really hate this idea. I think for virtual bands like the Gorillaz or that Japanese vocaloid stuff holograms are a great way to present the music to the fans in a concert setting. And I have no problem with using holograms of deceased musicians for special occasions like the Tupac hologram in 2012. But I hate the idea of taking holograms of deceased musicians on tour. Why would anyone want to see that? What you basically get is a band playing along to a backing track of Dio's vocals while watching a computer-generated image of he man. Why would you want to see that? Wouldn't it be much more authentic, cheaper and easier to just get one of the various live DVDs/Blu-Rays that have been released and re-released since he passed away?

But then again this shouldn't come as a surprise given how fixated on the past Heavy Metal is as a whole.

I actually think it's a rather neat idea - it gives a whole new generation a chance to experience something similar to the original experience. They already use similar tech for hologram Elvis Pressley shows do they not?

On a separate note, I have completed my clashfinder for Bloodstock (which starts on Thursday). I have an insane number of bands to see...

Thursday: Sumer, Psykosis, Phil Cambell's All Starr Band
Friday: Witch Tripper, Fury, Gloryhammer, Evil Scarecrow, Isarnos, The Hyena Kill, Stuck Mojo, Chasing Dragons, Corrosion of Conformity, XII Boar, Vrona, Beyond the Black, Twisted Sister, Diamond Head
Saturday: The Heretic Order, Mage, The Raven Age, Cibernetic Witch Cult, Vodun, Famyne, Zlatanera, Fear Factory, the start of either Paradise Lost or One Machine, Regulus, Bull riff Stampede or Vice, Gojira, Shining, Mastodon, Acid Reign
Sunday: Ghost Bath or Desert Storm, Heart of a Coward or Kahtet, Unearth, Divine Chaos or Jukebox Monkey, Metal Allegiance, Satyricon, Aklash, DragonForce, Symphony X, Footprints in the Custard or Dirty King, Anthrax, Pythia or Attica Rage, Slayer, Goatwhore.

I'm gonna be busy!

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 17:40, Jericode said:

How is this going 'code? Turned her onto any other bands?