Football Manager 2008

Dan

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started a new game the other day with King's Lynn in the second season after they were promoted to Blue Square South and somehow managed to finish third in my first year.

Made the playoff final against Northwich and took the lead after 44 minutes as Ryan Jarvis scored his 39th League goal of the season just ten minutes after Northwich were reduced to ten men. Thought I had the win, but Goma Lambu equalised in the 87th minute to take it to extra time. Eventually went to penalties and I was up 4-3 after four shots each but then McLeod blazed it over the bar and Weedon's shot was saved to send us crashing out and leaving me devastated.

It is probably a good thing as we'd have got massacred in BSP. Current side should get us promoted this season - it's awesome having Norwich as the parent club to start with as Jarvis has been fucking immense and I've got him again this season. All up, he's scored 48 in 53 league games. My captain is Mustapha Hadji who, at the spritely age of 37, is awesome at this level.

After 14 games, we sit fourth after a big 6-1 win over Blyth. Hope to continue up the table.

EDIT: Just took a 3-1 win over League 2 side Grimsby to advance to the Second Round of the FA Cup where I face Bristol Rovers away from home.

Edited by Mongrel

I'm currently the 7th greatest manager in Serbian League history, and strangely, the 11th most successful English manager of all time. Watch out Roy Hodgson, I'm gunning for 10th this year!

Fuck Roy in his arse! :shifty:

We all want to do that.

And I'm just about to start a bog-standard game; just all the English leagues. I'll probably just hit random a dozen times, see who I get, and take them to the top, baby!

...Unless, they're Man Utd, in which case I'll maintain it.

Edited by Bigal Vito

I noticied i got into the top 10 in the Hall of Fame by winning back to back titles and the treble one year. I think that got me to like 8th or 7th.

In Spain i got to 8th or 7th again just in one season by winning the Spanish Cup and La Liga than the Spanish Super Cup.

----------------------------------------------------------

Onto my Aston Villa game and i've got about 20 mil to spend and i've succesfully put a bid in for Arshavin to play up front with Carew just waiting on the contract, Damn i hate appearance fees.....

Also put a bid in for Croatian Right Back from Shaktar what with me having no right backs apart from Mellberg who is going... Oh and i'm chasing a Goalkeeper at this moment in time, looking at Akinfeev but feel he'll be too pricey and another young goalkeeper from Schalke. Only signing so far has been Thomson a 18 year old kid from Southampton who is supposed to have alot of potential.

Hiring all my new coach team cost a bit of money

Pre-Season friendlies look like this so far:

Walsall away, Barcelona Home, Inter Home

I'm still unsure about whether to get FMLive when it comes out. Totally depends on how much it is monthly.

Is there any news on whether you can buy so many month subscription so like a year or 3 months etc?

Ugh, Leonardo Ponzio is a fucking cunt. He's getting a yellow a game, has been sent off twice, caused 2 penalties, scored an own goal and may have cost us 3 points against Chelsea (I'm Sunderland, btw). That's what I get for being too cheap to get Battaglia from Boca. Arshavin has also been shit. 2 goals and 2 assists in 9 may be decent, but it's not when you consider both goals and an assist were against Derby, who we destroyed 5-0. Hopefully he'll get better before the end of the season.

Interestingly, my best signing by far has been my cheapest. For only about 1m pounds I got Florin Bratu from Dinamo Bucarest and haven't regreted it at all. 9 goals in 10 along with a 7.60 rating is great.

Currently we're 17th, playing really shit. Luckily, I've already set up deals for Breno and Iturra, which should stop my team from leaking goals on the 81st minute every other game. And it'll put some pressure on Ponzio to actually play well.

Dan got on the FMLive Beta!

*Dances*

My brother was on that months ago >_>

Finished 9th with Carlisle in my first season with them. Bit disappointing but I was in contention for a play-off position right to the end. I was in the top 3 for a good third of the year before a massive collapse to mid-table.

Pretty much got my squad finalised for Carlise for the 08/09 season, as follows:

GK: Kieran Westwood

DR: Paul Caddis (loan from Celtic)

DL: Peter Murphy

DC: Seyfo Soley

DC: Mikel San Jose (loan from Liverpool)

MR: Cleveland Taylor

ML: Simon Hackney

MC: Velice Sumulikoski

MC: Nicky Butt (!)

FC: Joe Garner

FC: Danny Graham

Bench:

Dean Bouzanis (loan from Liverpool)

Chris Blackburn

Grant Smith

Nabil el Zhar (loan from Liverpool)

Danny Carlton

With heaps of good back-up in John Spicer, Paul Thirwell, Paul Arnison, Chris Lumsdon, Rafael (loan from Man Utd), David Raven, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson, Stephen Hindmarch. As I signed Butt and Sumulikoski during the transfer window, I've gone from a diamond to a natural 4-4-2. Hopefully that squad has the ability to get me at least into the play-offs this year.

I know it didn't make it in, but wasn't there talk of a feature where leagues could be added during a game, rather than just at the start?

And my random click expedition ended up with me managing the English national team. My results were as follows:

1-0 Vs Germany (Friendly)

2-1 Vs Israel

2-1 Vs Russia

2-2 Vs Estonia (ARGHHH! They led from 8 minutes to 87, when Owen got a brace in three minutes. Then the fuckers scored with 20 seconds to go)

3-3 Vs Russia

4-1 Vs Austria (Friendly)

4-4 Vs Croatia (Was behind for most of the game, and managed to get to 4-4 on 73 minutes, but another goal just wouldn't come)

So I didn't qualify, on goal difference :(

I fucking suck at Football Manager 2008.

EDIT: Just got the World Cup Qualifiers Draw. In with Russia, Bulgaria, Albania, Moldova and Liechtenstein. Christ, it's like the fucking Warsaw Pact.

Edited by Donkey Punch

Man, the second round of the League Cup just went League 1's way. I beat Birmingham with Carlisle, and Leeds and Oldham also beat Premier League teams. And Colchester and Southend both beat Championship teams as well. My game against Birmingham was a cracker. They were up 1-0 until the 84th minute when Garner scored, who then scored again in the 2nd minute of extra time. Birmingham then scored twice in the 107th and 117th minute before Soley scored off a corner in the 120th. I then won penalties 4-2 (H)

Four of my players keep getting released for no reason. I'm guessing it's an unfixable bug and I'll need to re-start which sucks. Basically I saved it just before the end of the transfer period (playing an MLS game). Four players have bids of 0 from teams in the same league. I can't actually choose to turn down the offers. Then when the deadline hits it says that all of the transfers fell through (which should be good news). Yet with the next skip we release them all on a free. All them have varying amounts left on their contracts so it isn't that, they all have numbers so it isn't that. I did find a way around it by transfer listing them and getting 'real' bids prior to the transfer period ending. But if I change their transfer status or the amount after, again we release them on a free. It basically gimps me as two of the players are my main stars which I can't afford to give up for nothing.

Wen the gound is not expanded becaus of a strong oposition - does it mean that the statium never can get bigger? Or do i just need to hope year after year untill they finaly manage to pull it of?

I had this the second year in a row now, and that realy sucks becaus 18000 (only 2000 seated) realy blows wen it comes to money... the statium is always soled out.... fucking comunety. :-/

Wen the gound is not expanded becaus of a strong oposition - does it mean that the statium never can get bigger? Or do i just need to hope year after year untill they finaly manage to pull it of?

I had this the second year in a row now, and that realy sucks becaus 18000 (only 2000 seated) realy blows wen it comes to money... the statium is always soled out.... fucking comunety. :-/

I'd keep trying. Eventually the club may decide to move stadium.