THE RESULTS: EWB's 100 Favourite Bands

YI

I'm more amused at the picture choice for Nirvana than anything else; I completely forgot about the existence of Jason Everman.

As for this five, well. Queen, okay sure, why not. GnR, bleh, whatever. In the case of Nirvana I'm the opposite of Pesci and generally love their work and think that at this point they're so widely considered to be overrated that they've, in effect, become rather underrated, but as a Seattle resident I am sick to death of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and a couple of their other singles ("Come As You Are," "Heart-Shaped Box," "Rape Me," "All Apologies") do little for me as well. RHCP and Blink I have the same general apathy for; I like "Josie" by the latter a lot and a couple of songs by the former here and there, but that's about it.

EDIT: I had a big long post saying what I thought, but I figured this would sum it up a bit better.

90% of you are all douchebags. How about a little thanks for this even being near completed as opposed to whinging that no one likes your favourite band?

Edited by IAceI

Right, I may as well pass judgment on this lot;

I haven't liked Queen since I was about seven...I can understand them being up there, but I just don't think they were very good. It's just campy nonsense that's aged horribly, and I can't stomach it. Won't complain about them being up there, because they're one of those bands that practically everyone seems to own an album by, so its inevitable.

Guns 'n' Roses have their fantastic moments...Appetite For Destruction is a fantastic hard rock album, and bits and bobs of Use Your Illusion I & II are class too. Again, they did a lot of shit, but at this point in a countdown the line-up tends to be fairly predictable...wouldn't be anywhere near a personal top ten, but I have no surprise and no problem with them being this high on this one.

Nirvana are incredibly over-rated by plenty of people, but lest not forget that just because they're over-rated, it doesn't mean they're bad. They were a phenomenal band. Sure, they were rampant plagiarists with nonsense lyrics and an irritating lead single, sure they weren't the best band of their ilk, sure they were just a pretty marketable face to put on an existing movement....but they were incredible. They were the last truly HUGE band, for better or for worse, and they were utterly brilliant, while never taking themselves too seriously. I don't believe they'd still be rated so highly if Kurt were still alive, but that's another argument for another time.

I cannot stand Blink 182. I've never been able to find them anything other than irritating, asinine juvenile bullshit, and I've never understood just how many people I know like them. They're not even a band who I can think "oh, I see what's good about them, it's just not for me", I just see nothing appealing on them...the music's horrible, devoid of any emotion or attitude, the lyrics dreadful and immature, and the vocals whiny and grating...they're easily one of my least favourite bands ever.

Chilis I can take or leave really. Had some good tunes (Breaking The Girl, Suck My Kiss, Scar Tissue), but have been pretty uniformly dreadful for the past few years, the last two albums were nothing to write home about, and even Californication is patchy. Another inevitable one, and one I'm not too fussed with either way, they're a band that's "just there" half the time, and who annoy the hell out of me every time there's a new single out and it's dreadful and you can't escape it, but lest not forget they were great once upon a time.

Right, I may as well pass judgment on this lot;

I haven't liked Queen since I was about seven...I can understand them being up there, but I just don't think they were very good. It's just campy nonsense that's aged horribly, and I can't stomach it. Won't complain about them being up there, because they're one of those bands that practically everyone seems to own an album by, so its inevitable.

Thank you. Thank you so much, thats exactly how I see them.

I can understand the dislike for Queen since the fact that, more or less, EVERYONE has gone through a phase where they're obsessed with at least Queen's most popular songs. It gets tiresome for a lot of people who never really took a look at their music that didn't get popular, see videos of their amazing live performances, or who just simply that style of rock isn't their favorite. It's the same thing that hurts a lot of really legendary bands, not everyone is going to be huge, huge fans and as a result a lot of people will get turned off just on principle. This also applies for Nirvana in this top 5 as well.

I'm not in a big rush really since I already know what atleast 3 of the top 5 are but we should make him finish this before he starts his 100 Albums list. :shifty:

I am, admittedly, inclined to agree a bit. With no disrespect intended (unlike PH4E, who... wow. Learn how to phrase things, please), it's been two months since this started and since it's at its very last gasp, I'd really like to see this end before another, admittedly far more interesting Top 100 list is begun.