Nirvana

ONO

Ok so I've heard about them as we all have,

Funny is it that I only started to really like them tonight after getting baked :X

Fucking brilliant band. So pick your fav songs other than the most famous ones so I can listen to :P

My personal top five as far as Nirvana songs go are as such;

1. "About a Girl" by like a mile

2. "In Bloom"

3. "Serve the Servants"

4. "Love Buzz" (assuming covers count)

5. "Marigold"

First: All Apologies

VERY DISTANT Second: Heart Shaped Box

followed by Spirit, In Bloom, Rape Me, Aneurysm, Come As You Are, Lithium and Where did you Sleep Last Night from the Unplugged album.

All Apologies is by far and away the best thing Cobain ever did musically. Lyrics are awesome without being overly bizarre (HSB) and the music is very well written. If you know the whole story behind In Utero it makes the song that much more interesting.

I like Tourettes, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who likes it.

Wrong. It's one of my favourites too.

As well as that I love: "Breed", "On A Plain", "Endless Nameless", "Scentless Apprentice", "Heart Shaped Box", "Pennyroyal Tea" and "Plateau".

I haven't bought Bleach yet.

I like Tourettes, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who likes it.

"Tourette's" is pretty entertaining, all things considered. It's not my favorite song off of In Utero but it's probably somewhere in my top five (with "Serve the Servants," "Very Ape," "Dumb," and either "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" or "All Apologies," which... I would like more if not for some lines here and there which sound like they were written by an angry seventh grader)

I wouldn't call myself a fan of Nirvana, but I wouldn't say I necessarily dislike them either. They were a part of my childhood as I'm sure many people my age can attest to.

As for the music, Bleach is decent, I like the song Negative Creep off of that album. They have another track off of that album but I can't remember the name of the song. The Unplugged performance was also pretty good.

As good as the Unplugged album is, it kind or irks me as it's clearly so much of a Kurt Cobain vanity project, when Nirvana were always better as the three guys having fun, rather than a glorified backing band for Kurt.

My favourite Nirvana song is probably either In Bloom or About A Girl, with School and Polly coming pretty close. As I said in the Top 100 thread, they're an incredible band even though they are over-rated by many, and I don't feel they'd be as big today if Kurt were still alive (if you read contemporary reviews and articles from a little after In Utero, there was a general feeling of the music press and the public starting to turn against the band), and it's difficult to isolate a band from the culture that's spawned around them, but looking at them as objectively as I can, I like them rather a lot, but only go out of my way to listen to them once a year at the most, really.

I love Nirvana. As mentioned the Unplugged Album they did is awesome. I like Where Did You Sleep Last Night?, Lake of Fire, Man Who Sold the World and All Apologies mostly. Everything they did on that show was awesome though. Not everyone would like Bleach, but I liked Negative Creep, Love Buzz, Floyd The Barber, Downer, About a Girl and Blew to name a few. Nevermind is a great album, some absolutely fantastic songs: Teen Spirit, Territorial Pissings, In Bloom, Come As You Are, Breed, Lithium, Drain you, Something in the Way and Polly to name a few most of the the album. There are less songs I like on In Utero, but I actually like the more gritter sound. Serve the Servants, Scentless Apprentice, Heart Shape Box, Rape Me, Very Ape, Milk It and All Apologies are the best on In Utero in my opinion. You Know You're Right is one of my favorite songs, I believe it was released on a compilation a couple of years ago. There was also a compilation album released called Incesticide. Some great songs on that. Dive, Sliver, Stain, Been a Son, Molly's Lips, Mexican Seafood, Hairspray Queen and Aneurysm (my favorite Nirvana song)

Edited by Keith Kannon

I love Incesticide, the Vaselines' covers are absolutely brilliant. That's another great thing about Nirvana, at no point did they neglect to wear their influences on their sleeves, and as soon as they were in the position to give the bands they loved some much-needed exposure, they did...from Kurt's Daniel Johnston shirt, to covering the Vaselines, and getting the f'n Meat Puppets on MTV, and getting the Vaselines to reform and support them...it's really admirable that they went above and beyond what they ever would've been expected to do in that respect.

I love the band, and they were my favourite band until I really got into Our Lady Peace. Everything off of Unplugged is amazing, not to mention Lithium, In Bloom, Rape Me, Polly, All Apologies. Hell, just about everything from them is quality, with Lithium and In Bloom being my favourites.

"He's the one who likes all our pretty songs; And he likes to sing along; and he likes to shoot his gun; but he don't know what it means; no, he don't know what it means!"

Damn, now I gotta listen to them again.

I love Incesticide, the Vaselines' covers are absolutely brilliant. That's another great thing about Nirvana, at no point did they neglect to wear their influences on their sleeves, and as soon as they were in the position to give the bands they loved some much-needed exposure, they did...from Kurt's Daniel Johnston shirt, to covering the Vaselines, and getting the f'n Meat Puppets on MTV, and getting the Vaselines to reform and support them...it's really admirable that they went above and beyond what they ever would've been expected to do in that respect.

Plus they had Shonen Knife open for them on one tour, which is just all sorts of badass.

And yeah, some of Nirvana's best songs are their cover versions of things; "Love Buzz," "Molly's Lips," "Where Did You Sleep Last Night," and so on.

'Heart Shaped Box' and 'Lake of Fire' are my two favorite Nirvana songs. I was always more of an Alice in Chains kinda guy, though. Pearl Jam, as I've gotten older, has also grown on me in terms of that genre.

I honestly thing that the Foo Fighters are a better band, and more enjoyable to me personally, than Nirvana ever was.