YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

I was going to put this in the "What you are listening to..." thread...but it goes here. :shifty:

BEST ALBUM SO FAR THIS YEAR...FUCKING GET IT!!

mikehale.jpg

"BROKEN WITH NO HOPE" by Mike Hale

brokenwithnohope.jpg

What a fucking album. Seriously...what a fucking album. Music stripped down to its absolute bare minimum. One man, with a truly powerful voice singing songs of love, songs of hope, songs of despair...just fucking amazing songs. It needs nothing flash...it's just timeless. Given the fact this was put out on Asian Man Records, this was totally not what I was expecting. Asian Man in recent times is generally associated with a more 'eclectic', crazy bunch...for example DIY/electro/ska/hardcore craziness in Bomb The Music Industry! and the critically acclaimed folk-punk band Andrew Jackson Jihad (ANGRY...ANGRY MEN!). So this came as an absolutely pleasent shock to me. Everything sounds so organic, the only other instrumentation outside of the acoustic guitar is a single stringed instrument during "Easy Come, Easy Go" and "Before You Were Gone". And this is so not an 'eclectic', crazy album. It's laid back, 11 sweet acoustic numbers.

It seems like every single fucker in punk-rock has an 'acoustic' side project these days. Chuck Ragan, Attica! Attica! (Not a side project as such, as it's his only project, but whatever), that fuck from Milencolin, Sundowner, Frank Turner (Million Dead were hardcore fucking punk :shifty:), the guy who left Rise Against is doing one, Joey Cape...erm....there's a shitload more. One crops up like every week. And whilst I tend to actually enjoy lots of them...lots of them seem to be merely playing punk-rock songs on acoustic guitar. Most notably Sundowner. Whilst his album rocked, it was basically just punk-rock on acoustic guitar, at breakneck speed (solidified more by two Lawrence Arms covers). Frank Turner and Chuck Ragan went for a more folk approach. Which worked really well. Attica! Attica" was basically everything rolled into one, and he seemed to push a few more boundaries, but at times also suffered from the punk-rock on acoustic guitar thing. This leaves Joey Cape...and Cape is basically the only guy I feel writes proper 'acoustic' songs (outside of Turner/Ragan's more folk approach)...well...before this guy. I've never heard any of this guys band stuff. But I know it sure as hell wont be anything like this. This is laid back...it's chilled...it's fucking beautiful.

I'm repeating myself. I'm tired...this is still too fucking good. FUCKING GET! Plus when it's released, it's only going to be $8 apparently. So pick it up if at all possible (alongside the Andrew Jackson Jihad LP...you wont be dissapointed), I know I sure as hell will be.

BEST SONGS: "Losing Tomorrow", "Easy Come, Easy Go", "Most Beautiful", "Fuck The World", "Before You Were Gone" and "The Last Part Of Me".......but everything is fucking awesome.....

And I still fucking hate Vampire Weekend...they're a bunch of over pretentious, boring shite.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random shit you should download...this week. :shifty:

1. "Broken With No Hope" by Mike Hale - 2008 - Acoustic/Singer-Songwriter

For all the reasons said above. Too fucking good.

2. "At The Foot Of My Rival" by The New Amsterdams - 2007 - Indie

Been giving this a whirl a lot lately. I love it. Received absolutely zero media coverage. It's night on impossible to even find a review of it. The band didn't hype it or anything, and it's self released I believe. But it's absolutely killer. Whilst I really liked "Story Like A Scar" (It was a grower though), this is flat out fucking incredible, a return to "Worse For The Wear" standard.

3. "Darker Days" by Time Again - 2008 - Punk-Rock

Great skate-punk album. Catchy tunes. The vocalist does sound far too much like Tim Armstrong (Rancid) though. Different stylistically as a whole, so it doesn't get that annoying. I see this going the way of "12:34" by Authority Zero last year, which was also an early release. When 'better' bands release albums I'll forget about it, but I'll find myself getting drawn back to it and loving it, when I remember it. Shite band name.

4. "The Future Of The Free World Is Riding On This One" by Driving East - 2008 - Pop-Punk/Power Pop

Ridiculous name. But so fun and catchy. The best 'sunshine & shag' (The term will catch on) album since "...Cork Tree".

5. "Ruiner" by A Wilhelm Scream - 2005 - Punk-Rock

Awesome tech-punk right here. The sub-genres of 'punk' always make me laugh. As silly as 'tech'-punk is...the bands are generally fucking TIGHT eg. A Wilhelm Scream, Whippernsapper, Scallywagon, Alucard, Protest The Hero etc. Still on a kick after seeing these guys 2 weeks ago. Most fans prefer their 'debut' "Mute Print", but I'm all about "Ruiner". Such a fucking amazing album. So much cool shit.

6. "Nothing's Lost" by Styrofoam - 2004 - Electro-Pop

Styrofoam > The Postal Service. Styrofoam > DnTel. Styrofoam > American Analog Set. Styrofoam > Electric President. Of all the indie Electro-Pop outfits, Styrofoam is just head and shoulders above the rest. This album goes down as easily one of my favourites ever. Some killer collaberations, that really ADD to things (Ben Gibbard on the killer "Couches In Alleys", Andrew Kenny of American Analog Set and German band Lali Puna). Unlike the recent DnTel, which whilst awesome, suffered from colab's for the sake of them. Just a fucking great album. And after the songs on his myspace, I am waiting eagerly for his new album. Shame I sold my JEW tickets and wont get to see him live. :( If I knew he was supporting, I'd never have dreamed of selling them. :(

7. "The Golden Hour" by Firewater - 2008 - erm...Folk-Rock?

What the fuck is this album? Well, I mean it's awesome. But this might be the most genre bending band ever. It's folk at heart, but there's so much weird shit happening. The only thing that's missing is a thrash breakdown. Just...fucking amazing. Hell-a-lot of fun. Plus handled in a totally different way to Vampire Weekend. Vampire Weekend genre bend in a kind of "LOOK AT US! AREN'T WE GREAT!" way...with Firewater, you get the impression they're just fucking about, and it sticks. :shifty:

8. "When The Flowers Bloom" by Promise Of Redemption - 2008 - Acoustic/Emo

Very much similar to Dashboard Confessional. I don't think this will be one that will have a lot of replay factor to it, but this week I've played it a few times. A couple of really killer tracks, with big epic melodies on here, despite being primarily acoustic.

9. "Full Circle" by Pennywise - 1997 - Punk-Rock

One of my favourite albums of all time. On another forum I got into a but of an 'arguement' with someone over Pennywise, in regards to their upcoming album. And boy did they rock. Yes, they never left their 'formula', but their first 6 albums were absolutely killer. And "Full Circle" is hands down my favourite. "Broken", "Fight Till You Die", "Nowhere Fast", "You'll Never Make It", "Bro Hymn (Tribute)", "Date With Destiny", "Society"...so many fucking amazing tunes.

10. "Jersey's Best Dancers" by Lifetime - 1997 - Punk-Rock

The hardcore band that inspired so much of the current 'emo' scene. Taking Back Sunday basicaly have to thank Lifetime for their early sound. Of course Lifetime had a bit more of a punk edge. Again, one of my favourite punk-rock albums of all time. On punknews there was this 'article' on Dan Yemin (Lifetime, Paint It Black, Kid Dynamite, Armalite), where they looked through his discogrophy, and that got me listening to all the Lifetime stuff again. Oh my god. Just so fucking good. The riff at the beginning of "Young, Loud & Scotty". It's literally two, long notes...but it proves that simple is good. You just know it's going to be a great song, when you first hear it. "Young, Loud & Scotty", "The Boys No Good" (Yes the one Rise Against covered :shifty:), "Bringin' It Backwards", "25 Cent Giraffes", "Cut The Tension", "Turnpike Gates, "Hey Katrina", "Theme Song For A New Brunswick Basement Show"....too fucking good.

WALKING IN MY OLD MAN SHOES, WITH MY SCIENTIST HEART!!!

I GOT A FEVER AND A BEAKER AND A SHOT IN THE DARK!!!

NEED A CADILLAC RIDE ON A SOFT SUMMERS NIGHT!!

"SAY A PRAYER FOR MY SOUL" SAID MARIA!!

ACT021.jpg

EP OF THE MOTHERFUCKING YEAR!!!!

Fucking get it...bloody amazing. Best band going, bar none.

Edited by YI

Random shit you should download...this week. :shifty:

1. "Broken With No Hope" by Mike Hale - 2008 - Acoustic/Singer-Songwriter

For all the reasons said above. Too fucking good.

2. "At The Foot Of My Rival" by The New Amsterdams - 2007 - Indie

Been giving this a whirl a lot lately. I love it. Received absolutely zero media coverage. It's night on impossible to even find a review of it. The band didn't hype it or anything, and it's self released I believe. But it's absolutely killer. Whilst I really liked "Story Like A Scar" (It was a grower though), this is flat out fucking incredible, a return to "Worse For The Wear" standard.

3. "Darker Days" by Time Again - 2008 - Punk-Rock

Great skate-punk album. Catchy tunes. The vocalist does sound far too much like Tim Armstrong (Rancid) though. Different stylistically as a whole, so it doesn't get that annoying. I see this going the way of "12:34" by Authority Zero last year, which was also an early release. When 'better' bands release albums I'll forget about it, but I'll find myself getting drawn back to it and loving it, when I remember it. Shite band name.

4. "The Future Of The Free World Is Riding On This One" by Driving East - 2008 - Pop-Punk/Power Pop

Ridiculous name. But so fun and catchy. The best 'sunshine & shag' (The term will catch on) album since "...Cork Tree".

5. "Ruiner" by A Wilhelm Scream - 2005 - Punk-Rock

Awesome tech-punk right here. The sub-genres of 'punk' always make me laugh. As silly as 'tech'-punk is...the bands are generally fucking TIGHT eg. A Wilhelm Scream, Whippernsapper, Scallywagon, Alucard, Protest The Hero etc. Still on a kick after seeing these guys 2 weeks ago. Most fans prefer their 'debut' "Mute Print", but I'm all about "Ruiner". Such a fucking amazing album. So much cool shit.

6. "Nothing's Lost" by Styrofoam - 2004 - Electro-Pop

Styrofoam > The Postal Service. Styrofoam > DnTel. Styrofoam > American Analog Set. Styrofoam > Electric President. Of all the indie Electro-Pop outfits, Styrofoam is just head and shoulders above the rest. This album goes down as easily one of my favourites ever. Some killer collaberations, that really ADD to things (Ben Gibbard on the killer "Couches In Alleys", Andrew Kenny of American Analog Set and German band Lali Puna). Unlike the recent DnTel, which whilst awesome, suffered from colab's for the sake of them. Just a fucking great album. And after the songs on his myspace, I am waiting eagerly for his new album. Shame I sold my JEW tickets and wont get to see him live. :( If I knew he was supporting, I'd never have dreamed of selling them. :(

7. "The Golden Hour" by Firewater - 2008 - erm...Folk-Rock?

What the fuck is this album? Well, I mean it's awesome. But this might be the most genre bending band ever. It's folk at heart, but there's so much weird shit happening. The only thing that's missing is a thrash breakdown. Just...fucking amazing. Hell-a-lot of fun. Plus handled in a totally different way to Vampire Weekend. Vampire Weekend genre bend in a kind of "LOOK AT US! AREN'T WE GREAT!" way...with Firewater, you get the impression they're just fucking about, and it sticks. :shifty:

8. "When The Flowers Bloom" by Promise Of Redemption - 2008 - Acoustic/Emo

Very much similar to Dashboard Confessional. I don't think this will be one that will have a lot of replay factor to it, but this week I've played it a few times. A couple of really killer tracks, with big epic melodies on here, despite being primarily acoustic.

9. "Full Circle" by Pennywise - 1997 - Punk-Rock

One of my favourite albums of all time. On another forum I got into a but of an 'arguement' with someone over Pennywise, in regards to their upcoming album. And boy did they rock. Yes, they never left their 'formula', but their first 6 albums were absolutely killer. And "Full Circle" is hands down my favourite. "Broken", "Fight Till You Die", "Nowhere Fast", "You'll Never Make It", "Bro Hymn (Tribute)", "Date With Destiny", "Society"...so many fucking amazing tunes.

10. "Jersey's Best Dancers" by Lifetime - 1997 - Punk-Rock

The hardcore band that inspired so much of the current 'emo' scene. Taking Back Sunday basicaly have to thank Lifetime for their early sound. Of course Lifetime had a bit more of a punk edge. Again, one of my favourite punk-rock albums of all time. On punknews there was this 'article' on Dan Yemin (Lifetime, Paint It Black, Kid Dynamite, Armalite), where they looked through his discogrophy, and that got me listening to all the Lifetime stuff again. Oh my god. Just so fucking good. The riff at the beginning of "Young, Loud & Scotty". It's literally two, long notes...but it proves that simple is good. You just know it's going to be a great song, when you first hear it. "Young, Loud & Scotty", "The Boys No Good" (Yes the one Rise Against covered :shifty:), "Bringin' It Backwards", "25 Cent Giraffes", "Cut The Tension", "Turnpike Gates, "Hey Katrina", "Theme Song For A New Brunswick Basement Show"....too fucking good.

Seriously, if people haven't heard "Senor and the Queen EP" yet, get it. It's only 4 tracks so even you lot with caveman-dial-up connections should get it, like 20mb or so. It's just over 10 minutes of magic. 4 tracks essentially of the same genre sounding completely different.

If these come to Newcastle sometime after I start university I will be there, on my own if needs be, because they're fantastic. YI's pimped them, I'm pimping them, there's really no excuse not to get it.

"Sink Or Swim" is the way forward. You really get the feeling of, "this is a classic album" when you listen to it. I'll link you tomorroww drags to Senor if you want. :) Blue Jeans, white shits is one hell of a fucking song. Wish it'd made the album. But its a closer, so I understand why red and night made it ove rit,

Edited by YI

YOU HAVE CHOLERA! \0/

EDIT: I forgot to post what I wanted to before Acey made me think of white poo. Anyone know any bands like Underoath? Proper screamy metally emoy type junk, though preferably where the screaming's not going overboard and it's actually possible to tell what's being screamed...like Underoath. Preferably similar to "They're Only Chasing Safety."

Edited by Dragsy 7-0

Anyways, back again with "RANDOM SHIT YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD THIS WEEK - YI's TOP 10 ALBUMS...OR WHATEVER"

1. "Senior & The Queen (EP)" by The Gaslight Anthem - 2008 - Punk-Rock

Easily the best band pumping shit out around now. Hints of blues-rock, folk...just in your face, amazing shit. 4-tunes on here, all of the same genre, but they're all so different. The sound is a little 'rougher' than that of their debut album, "Sink Or Swim", which gives it an awesome, reckless feel, which suits the band down to a tee. The bass sounds amazing. It's so deep and 'dull', it sounds so impressive. The melodies are top notch. It's just, fucking amazing. The title track and the horifically beautiful closer, "Blues Jeans & White T-Shirts" are easily the stand out tracks, but all four are fucking amazing.

2. "Element Of Sonic Defiance (EP)" by Strung Out - 2000 - Punk-Rock

I know 8-song releases classed as albums, but, meh, I guess it's an EP, by Strung Out's standards at least. And fuck me, is it some of their best work. It sound so dark and sinister compared to all other Strung Out albums (Well, until half of EIO at least), they try a bit more progressive style, with their first forray into a real 'hardcore' like vibe in a few songs. As well as busting out some slower tunes. Jordan's drumming is fucking insane, easily his best work until BhOLA. And even then, it's a tight comparison. The run of "Savant" - "Blew" - "Everday" may be my favourite run of 3-tracks ever. All so different in style. Then towards the end you've got the insanely poppy/catchy, Jackie-O which seems so out of place, but given the nature of the EP, it slots in just right. It's an interesting note that this could very well have been an album. With "Novacain" (which ended up on a compilation...awesome tune), the original version of "Pleather" (Which was re-recorded and left off AAP, due to it leaking onto the internet) and "Last Song" (an un-named, apparently 'unfinished' demo...awesome though). But also, I believe the studio demo's for "Lost Motel" (Which never got a studio release, but is a LIAD classic) and "Dig" (Which ended up on AAP) were recorded at this time too.

3. "Broken With No Hope" by Mike Hale - 2008 - Acoustic/Singer-Songwriter

Again, singer-songwriter stuff at its very best. So fucking beautiful. I still find myself playing it through in its entirety every other day. "Losing Tomorrow", "Fuck The World", "Most Beautiful", "Before You Were Gone", "Wicked People" etc....amazing tunes.

4. "Field Manual" by Chris Walla - 2008 - Indie-Rock

For some reason I got really drawn back into this album this week. I have a new found love for first 'single', "Sing Again", which I hated at first...but it's since grown on me to epic proportions, it now being one of my favourite tunes. It's still about the haunting "Two-Fifty" though. Shades of early Mew...it just sounds quality. I love it. Surprised that it originally start out as a DCFC track, as it's the least DCFC sounding song on the album. Which might go to explain why it didn't see fruition as a Death Cab song. :shifty:

5. "Over The James" by Avail - 1998 - Punk-Rock

I miss 90's punk. Everyone talks about the charm of 70's and 80's, to me, 90's has the exact same charm. There's two distinct camps. There's the 'skate-punk', which was generally faster and catchier, the likes of Bad Religion, Strung Out, Pennywise, Cigar, NOFX etc. Then there was the more 'gruff', harsher stuff. Like Avail, Hot Water Music, Jawbreaker, Lifetime. And the occasional rarity that found itself somewhere in between, like 88 Fingers Louie. But they just don't do records that sound like these anymore. The Leatherface style, raspy vocals. Just the production as well. My biggest arguement with a lot of punk-rock these days is that it sounds far too polished, you're certainly not going to find that here.

6. "Deathconsciousness" by Have A Nice Life - 2008 - Shoegaze

A double disk album, I think they have themes...I could probably look into it more, but I want to wrap this up quickly. :shifty: It's basically what you'd expect. Long, droning songs. A singer, singing a bunch of shit you can bearly hear, let alone comprehend. But it all weaves together into this mushy, flat out beautiful texture, a pure wall of sound...it sounds so epic. There's a track on the first disk, titled "The Big Gloom", which shows this off perfectly. As it's basically 'sounds', even the vocals...but christ...it fits together so beautifully.

7. "Give Up" by The Postal Service - 2003 - Electro-Pop

I got obsessed with Ben Gibbard's acoustic covers of Postal Service tunes. Got live MP3's, watched videos on youtube. And this got me back to the original CD. Absolutely fucking amazing. Personally, I do prefer "Nothing's Lost" by Styrofoam...but "Give Up" has this child like quality to it, it's all cute and fuzzy....erm...children aren't generally fuzzy...but whatever.....it's so sweet.

8. "Everything In Transit" by Jack's Mannequin - 2005 - Piano Rock/Indie

It's been sunny here the past few days, so I bring out my perfect summer album. So catchy, so sunny...it could possibly be the 'happiest' sounding album ever. "North" by Something Corporate was one hell of an album, but this flat out tops it. The 'punky' undertones of SoCo are gone, it's more got an 'epic-rock' feel at times. It's just flat out amazing. I can't wait for "The Glass Passenger" in a matter of months.

9. "Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues" by Strung Out - 1996 - Punk-Rock

The best Strung Out album. The best motherfucking pop-punk album ever penned....quite possibly the best fucking album ever. :shifty: Just so many memories are tied up in this thing. Good memories, sad memories, bad memories, happy memories, erotic memories...whatever. It's fucking ace. The songs are fast as fuck, the melodies are insane...the lyrics are top notch. I just love this so much. When I have kids, I'm forcing them to listen to this..."LISTEN TO WHAT DADDY USED TO LISTEN TO!?!"

10. "Wild Hope" by Mandy Moore - 2007 - Pop

A very mature album, no idea how much she actually wrote, but I don't care. To be honest, this album was really where my Mandy Moore obsession began. I've heard just about fuck all of the rest of her stuff. I've seen her in fuck all films/TV and stuff. But I picked up this album after seeing the video to "Extraordinary", really digging the tune. It was sweet, laid back a bit funky, and just cool. I basically fell in love with the album, before I fell in love with Mandy Moore. :shifty: Yes, the fact I'd bang her rotten corpse may explain why it's gotten as many repeat plays as it has. Yes, it's not as good as say; New Buffalo, Emily Haines, Klima, Regina Spektor, Feist etc....but it's sweet, it's fun, and there's some cool tunes. And in something that will put me on ROC's deathlist, I prefer it to St. Vincent. :o

Skate punk fucking owns. Also, I have a hot Wate rMusic album, but I've yet to hear it.

On the Gaslight Anthem front, I forgot entirely to download that EP, but I did have a chance to hear a couple of tracks of SoS, namely I coulda Been a Contender and something about Westwood, Westerdod or Wooderson or something. Awesome.

Wooderson. They're both fucking epic.

Then again.. it all is. Listen to it all.

I'm beginning to really like Boomboxes again off that album, not listened to it in a while but really liking it again now.

"AND WOULD YOU SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE SENORA

IF I COULD MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE HE USED TO MAKE YOU FEEL?

I'LL SING YOU A SONG,

AND DANCE YOU A DANCE RIGHT NOW,

RIGHT NOW!"

Senor & the Queen is love.

"Boomboxes & Dictionaries" is probably my least favourite Gaslight tune...I think "Wooderson" would have been a vastly superior opener. But it's still a great song. And it too has grown on me a bit more recently.

And I love my quote in IAceI's sig...what's even better is that it was like an hour ago, stone cold sober. :shifty: