YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

As for the Observer article, if you read the whole article, the message isn't "none of this matters as long as you enjoy it", it's very much "this is over your heads", etc. Here's another quote; "This new breed have assumed the thinking person's mantle, recognising that music can be a crucible for grand gestures and condensing big ideas nicked from literature, history and cultural icons into simple mantras." ....as if, before 2008, no one had thought "hang on, music can be smart", or that before 2008 musicians just didn't read books, they just drank and listened to Led Zeppelin bootlegs and Wolfmother. It also implies that people are consciously making the effort to be "intelligent" with their music, as if it's a bold gesture and an exciting new statement, and it implies that the majority of music fans aren't smart enough to "get it", because they're not listening to these bands, whilst the oh-so-enlightened OMM writer is.

For a start, the whole idea of musical "movements" is asinine in itself anyway, especially in the 21st century when music is influenced from so many different sectors that it's pretty much impossible for a "scene" in the conventional sense to grow naturally, and that's a GOOD THING. Somehow, this article attempts to lump Foals, These New Puritans and Lightspeed Champion, amongst others, into one concerted "movement", as if they all got together and decided to make things smarter.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave Heretic Pride a listen by The Mountain Goats earlier. Really good album. Will give it a second listen later, when I will no doubt hear it in a completely different light and fall in love with it even more.

This happened with Chris Walla's album, I liked it the first listen. Then second listen I heard all these different parts that I'd not heard originally on the first listen, and it was even better. Odd how that happens.

Just got my hands on the Hot Water Music b-sides, "Till The Wheels Fall Off" CD. I've heard a number of the songs before (most of the covers, and a number of other tracks). I've said it many times, and I'll say it again. Their version of "Radio" originally by Alkaline Trio, is vastly superior. Just how Alk3's cover of "Rooftops" is better than HWM's. And both the originals are top notch.

Whilst "In A Million Pieces" by The Draft was a great album, and Chuck Ragan's solo stuff has been quality too, I can't help but miss Hot Water Music. I hope this reformation spawns a new album.

And Ace...it's not that weird how it happens. As the first listens you're generally sinking into new melodies and the like, and as time goes on and you're used to them, you start paying attention to what's going on in the background and all that. The good ones are the ones where you seem to endlessly hear something new. "Exile In Oblivion" by Strung Out was one of those, but I admit that seems to have a lot to do with the pretty shoddy production job done on it.

Excellent. I expect to have heard this by the end of the night.

Gaslight Anthem needs to release tomorrow as well. This is based on the grounds that I have an exam on the 30th (which I need to do loads of revision for) so them coming out on the 29th would just be a major distraction for me, one I can't be having if you ask me.

So when I return from my bath, I assume that Fortress will have somehow crept into my computer and be awaiting a play - it's bizarre how that happens. Although the more likely story is my internet will die whilst I'm in the bath and I'll need to wait for YI to spoon feed it to me >_>

So the Chris Walla album is a definite recommendation? I haven't heard any of the songs but I'll take your word for it based on his work with Death Cab. The only problem is finding the damn thing.

I've really got into that Andrew Bird guy you had on your top albums list. Scythian Dreams is a brilliant song.

Goddess Bound... Goddess Gagged

That has got to be the greatest combination of tracks ever.

Bloodmeat is fucking epic. Awesome, awesome, awesome album.

Paramore next. Oh and apparently Sons and Daughters leaked a few days ago, any fans of them heard it yet? Is it worth picking up?

Edited by IAceI

I have my A Wilhelm Scream tickets sitting in front of me. Sexy. They were awesome last time, but I just can't help and think they're going to be SOO MUCH BETTER this time.

Also. Two lasses were buying AWS tickets in front of me. A bit weird, and talked too much. But one was cute. Shame the cute one had no idea who AWS were and is only going because her friend wants to. Cleared off the line. :(

Good lad. I'll be at the Birmingham and London gigs to kick off and close down the tour.

Quick note on last night's set. THEY PLAYED SCARED OF THE POLICE. Haven't heard that live since I saw them in Southampton in 06. They also started with Stuck In My Throat, which ruled. They also did a bunch of songs htey hadn't played live for years, like It's All About Control.

Edited by Dragsy 7-0