YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out to this shithole bar last night, a real fucking hole in the wall, and saw some local punk acts play. They were awful, a bit too much grind in there, but fuck was it a good time. The Detroit punk scene these days is funny, it's made up of a lot of Discharge fans, a lot of fucking Discharge fans. It's really something to see 1 out of every 3 kids has some sort of Discharge shirt, patch, back patch, button on them.

They're fun people though, especially when you get a few beers in them. That bar looked like shit by the time the night was over, it looked like shit from the onset but was really fucked up by the end of the night. Pizza boxes strewn on tables, spills everywhere, tables scattered from their original placement, and a bunch of smelly fucking punks filling the air with their odd aroma of sweat, leather, and beer. It was probably one of the friendliest crowds of people I've met at any show I've ever been to. Well, folks were friendly towards me, maybe not so much towards each other at all times.

The worst part was drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon all night, that is grade A swill right there.

Anyway, I'd like to recommend the band Wayne County and the Electric Chairs. This is for those of you that enjoy 77 style punk ala Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders, and The Saints. They had a great sound, as good as anything for their era, and really don't get the credit they deserve for their contribution to that music scene.

Don't diss the PBR! It's alright to drink, but just shitty enough so you slam them. Gotta love it.

My biggest problem with it is that it didn't sustain any sort of buzz for me unless I continued drinking them. So by the time we were halfway home, I was no longer feeling drunk, but feeling the beginning of a hangover.

I'd have gone an extra couple of dollars for a Newcastle, or even a Killian's.

But on the other hand, it was PBR or pay a bit extra for Buttweiser, so PBR it was.

Recommend me some shit.

Right know feeling a mix of the Klaxons, Disco, Kaiser Chiefs and Bloc Party. Anything similar or whatever the fuck you think I should listen to, tell me.

TOP 10 YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD THESE...OR CHOOSE NOT TO, IT'S REALLY UP TO YOU...THIS WEEK LIST

1. "Broken With No Hope" by Mike Hale - 2008 - Acoustic/Singer-Songwriter

Again this is hovering around the top. Just a simply amazing album. Just shows that music stripped to its absolute barebones can be so powerful and beatiful as a symphonic orchestra. "Losing Tomorrow" is already an early pick for potential song of the year, with the album being a definate contender for the "Best Album" too.

2. "Sink Or Swim" by The Gaslight Anthem - 2007 - Punk-Rock

As the songs from this years EP are now more familiar to me, I found myself swaying back towards the album again. Most definately my favourite release from last year. Every single song on here is as energetic, as passionate, as simply fucking amazing as the one that came before it. Fucking great...that is all.

3. "Rooney" by Rooney - 2003 - Indie-Rock

Hands down one of the best debut albums I've had the joy to listen to. Whilst the follow up was solid and produced some great songs, this was just so good in comparison. Every song is full of absolute killer hooks, poppy melodies and of course the token, Rooney "one line repeated over and over" choruses. So many amazing tunes on here. I admit I was a little dissapointed with the second album, but there was no way in hell they could top this. At the time of release this was one hell of a breath of fresh air, as basically it was at the time half the indie bands sounded near identical, and Rooney came in with their 'unique' twinge to their sound, really setting them apart for me personally.

4. "Senor And The Queen EP" by The Gaslight Anthem - 2008 - Punk-Rock

"We sing with our heroes, 33 rounds per minute/We're never going home until the sun says we're finished/I'll love you forever if I ever love at all/With wild hearts, blue jeans and white t-shirts/With wild hearts, blue jeans and white t-shirts". :wub:

5. "Rise Or Die Trying" by Four Year Strong - 2007 - Melodic Hardcore/Power-Pop

In short...think Fall Out Boy - but heavier/more rocky, added synthy stuff and a drummer who clearly has ADHD. They even have the silly names, "Bada Bing! Wit A Pipe!", "Wrecked 'em, Damn Near Killed 'em", "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Hell" etc. But more importantly they're very fucking good. They mix interesting chord progressions, hardcore style riffs, occasional crazy double kick drumming for no fucking reason with unmatchable bounciness, energy, poppiness and down right fucking catchy choruses. Oh, and I swear the chorus to "Beatdown In The Key Of Happy" is more Fall Out Boy than anything Fall Out Boy themselves have ever written.

6. "Everything In Transit" by Jack's Mannequin - 2005 - Piano-Rock

I'm still so psyched about the upcoming album. I really cannot wait to hear it. Although I am hoping "Cellular Phone" does not make the final cut, as the live versions, I just don't like the song. This album however, simply phenomenal. The perfect summer album. I love it far too much. I hope I'm not dissapointed by the new one. :( I guess I could let him off, he had cancer afterall. :shifty:

7. "Nothing's Lost" by Styrofoam - 2004 - Electro-Pop

I can't believe I'm missing him live. :( New album dropping sometime soon (featuring a track with the singer from JEW...which they'd do live...with Styrofoam supporting JEW :(). I had fucking tickets too...and I sold them on...bastards...then I found out Styrofoam were supporting. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! AMAZING ALBUM!

8. "Aaron's Revolution EP" by Forus - 2008 - Punk-Rock

Tech-Punk was all the rage back in the late 90's/early 00's with many bands playing the style. But as Belvedere, Scallywagon, Whippersnapper and the likes all died, the 'genre' (is it fuck, but whatever) seemed to be on its last legs. Then came the likes of A Wilhelm Scream and Protest The Hero who burst on the scene, and once again more 'riff orientated' bands (Where the guitar is the 'focal point') made an appearence. Yes there's punk-bands with killer riffs and solo's, like Death By Stereo, Strung Out and Propagandhi, but the riffs really weren't the 'focal' point to the music. After these there's been the emergence of This Is A Standoff (with ex-Belvedere) and Alucard with the same formula, as well as a HELL OF A LOT of bands from Europe. There's Scotland's "PMX", Italy's "BeerBong", Austria's "Rentokill" and others providing killer, fast, in your face tunes. Now, with an absolutely amazing EP come Forus, from France. Fast, frantic, fucking incredible.

9. "Funeral" by Arcade Fire - 2004 - Indie-Rock

Damn, it really doesn't feel like 4-years ago since this dropped. I find "Neon Bible" overrated as hell (When the best song on an album is a re-recording of an old track, albeit an awesome old track, there's problems <_<), but this album is top fucking notch. It's in your face, it's frantic, it's quirky as hell. Things that are really missing from "Neon Bible". There's all this hype surrounding Arcade Fire at this point that they're a quirky, frantic, energetic band...that they've actually seemed to forget to put all of those qualities that make them great into "Neon Bible", and whilst a solid release with great tunes, it really misses what makes Arcade Fire, Arcade Fire...the force that they are/were.

10. "Heretic Pride" by The Moutain Goats - 2008 - Indie/Folk

Fucking great...I can't be bothered to write anymore. :(

The news EWB's own Dan, told me that Styrofoam got booed, heavy, supporting Jimmy Eat World last night makes me sad...very, very sad. :( But at the same time, quite relieved that I didn't go. As, as awesome seeing JEW and Styrofoam would be (Especially Styrofoam). People shitting on them would have really pissed me off, ruined their set for me, and probably ruin my enjoyment of JEW as well. :(

As for tunes. New Mike Doughty's the regular fair, a bit hit and miss, like all his stuff. But there's some really cool tunes on "Golden Delicious"....who can't love the lyrics, "I love your baby fat/Your crooked nose is where it's at....barum-badum-bum-bum". :shifty:

Be Your Own Pet is killer, as is "We're Becoming Islands One by One" by The Sleeping Years.

New Murder By Death is amazing...what fucking vocal work, amazing, seriously.

I'm digging Taken By Cars too. They remind me of We Are Scientists, but with a female vocalist.

The new We Are Scientist's track is fucking ace. I've had it on repeat for like...the last half an hour. The video is amazing too...and the bird...FUCKING HELL!! Anyone fancy 'rapesies'? I'd even wait at the back and wade through her pulvarised, soggy, sticky vagina, as long as I got a go.

The bit where the guy on the floor is just twatted, fucking excellence.

Also, "Cath" by Death Cab For Cutie/Ben Gibbard is quickly becoming one of my favourite DCFC tracks. And I've only heard the live/acoustic Gibbard version. But it's going to be on "Narrow Stairs" (new DCFC album), so I can't wait.

"Cath" by Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie)

The lyrics are brill;

Cath, she stands

With a well intentioned man

But she can't relax

With his hands on the small of her back

As the flash bulbs burst

She holds a smile

Someone will hold the crying child

And everybody asks what became of you

Your heart was dying fast

And you didn't know what to do

Cath, it seems

That you live in a dying dream

In a hand-me-down wedding dress

On the arm of a man you detest

But you said your vows

And you closed the door

On so many men

Who would have loved you more

And everybody asks what became of you

Your heart was dying fast

And you didn't know what to do

And whispers that it won't last

Were running down the pews

Because my heart was dying that fast

I would have done the same as you

I would have done the same as you

Dragsy. "After Hours" really grew on me. I hated it at first, but watched because the video was awesome...but then it grew on me. It's more 'laid back' than their previous albums singles, so took a while to get used too. I've seen their performance on Jools Holland and I too didn't think it was that great, with the acoustic guitar carrying the riff it just sounded weird...but at the same time it was awesome because....LIBERTINES DRUMMER!!!! I nearly shat myself when I saw him.

I have a distinct feeling that "Machine 15" by Millencolin might be the biggest dissapointment of the year. The two songs they've 'released' so far are fucking terrible. They basically sound like "The Young And The Hopeless" era Good Charlotte...really...NOT good. This saddens me as they're one of my favourite pop-punk bands, and seeing them resort to this kind of drivel is depressing. The last album ("Kingwood" was really good, and is actually my 2nd favourite album after "Pennybridge Pioneers". There was some killer tracks on it; "Biftek Supernova", "Mooseman's Jukebox", "Farewell My Hell", "Ray", "Novo", "Shut You Out", "Stalemate" etc. But if "Detox" and "Brand New Game" are a taster of the new album...I think I'm going to absolutely despise it. :(