YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never got The Libertines' appeal, I had the one album, something about a bracket, and I heard it through a few times, and it was just meh. And then NME wanked all over them, and the Doherty thing, turned general disinterest into fucking shut the hell up you wankheads.

Ironically, the one song that grew on me was Can't Stand Me Now.

I think the Libertines are a "grower" kind of band. I was a bit meh to them roundabout their first album but I absolutely loved Don't Look Back The Sun which was released just before the second album. It brought me back to their first album and they've been one of my favourite bands ever since.

Dirty Pretty Things are nothing special. Far too samey. Carl Barat was going on about how they had a fight during recording las tweek but it seems like blatant attention seeking.

I'm with YI on the Libertines thing. They're so heavily a part of my musical upbringage, saw them supporting the Strokes early 02 at Leeds Uni with the White Stripes watching from the balcony, was somewhat blown away, bought What a Waster/I Get Along a few months after, then managed to see them 3 more times that year. Just a very special band. I saw them early 04 in the split/no split era on a dodgy 'solo Pete' tour in Middlesbrough and once again still great. Never a fan of the second album though, and the Bernard Butler produced early stuff still sounds miles better than Mick Jones album work, aparently Bernie couldn't put up with Pete being a cunt second time round, so fair enough really. Their loss is Duffys gain ;)

I've seen Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things a few times since, and it really isn't the same. You need the weirdy poetry of Pete, and the more sane musical backbone of Carl for it to really happen. Maybe someday...

Some Cribs related news. Apparently The Postal Service are putting together a remix of "I'm A Realist", which given the style of the song could work amazing. It will be released as part of a digital, "I'm A Realist" EP, with a couple of 'unreleased' songs.

Also. There's talk of Johnny Marr 'leaving' Modest Mouse and hooking up with The Cribs 'full-time' after tossing down ideas with them in the studio.

Also. There the Death By Stereo studio journals are absolutely fucking amazing.

I swear Efrem gets his penis out far too much. :shifty: The infamous story of him stripping and changing in front of a random group of fans comes to mind.

CASSIUS ITS OVER,

CASSIUS AWAY,

CASSIUS THESE DAYDREAMS,

THESE DAYDREAMS OKAY

As director Dave Ma says;

"...self-applauding shitpipe midget guitar strap bullshit at its best. "

It really fucking is. I absolutely love this band, and I must go see them on March 8th - despite it being sold out I'm going to hang around outside and see how it goes :D

I can't sleep...so;

10 ALBUMS YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD/BUY/HUM INSIDE YOUR HEAD...OR...YOU KNOW...NOT...FOR THIS WEEK!

1. "Deathconciousness" by Have A Nice Life - 2008 - Shoegaze

Making its return to the 'chart' this week after dropping off last week. This is a double disk CD, and it's absolutely amazing. First of all, the track, "The Big Gloom" is an 8-minute epic. Absolutely beautiful. Easily one of the best tracks I have heard this year. Despte being so moody, and your typical 'shoegaze', 'wall of sound' affair there's also blending of different styles in year. There's the relatively 'upbeat' "Bloodhail", which has a bit of a groove to it. There's the more rocking tunes like "The Future". Then there's the softer songs as well, which are more acoustic based. Great album. Wont be to everyone's tastes though.

2. "Broken With No Hope" by Mike Hale - 2008 - Singer-Songwriter/Acoustic

For about the 5th week running this album stays up towards the top of this list. Seriously. You MUST track it down. The guy has an absolutely amazing voice. The melodies are so sweet. The acoustic work is actually really good, all the songs sound unique. Such a beautiful album. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was my album of the year come 'close of play'.

3. "American Art" by Weatherbox - 2007 - Alt-Rock

If Say Anything, Taking Back Sunday, Sparta and Thursday got together and had a fight...it'd probably sound like Weatherbox. Ollie's onboard, the rest of EWB have no excuse not to be onboard either. The album does feel a little long in places, and by the time it reaches the end you kind of just 'want it to finish'. But Weatherbox manage to combat that, by tossing two absolutely insane/amazing tracks at the end, including "Drop The Mike" which has potentially the greatest/worst rap ever...."Listen to me/There's no epic feeling/Don't you think it's best/If we just leave it to rest?/Like why am I rapping?/Like, do we have no ideas left?/Like, look at his chest/Look at his fucking Weatherbox vest/With his hands flying a "W"/Like Weezer's up next...." do I have to go on....it's fucking brilliant though at the same time.

And how can you not love;

WBOXBOX0WH-TS.jpg

4. "Nothing's Lost" by Styrofoam - 2004 - Electro-Pop/Indie

Still a bit gutted I didn't get to see them support Jimmy Eat World on Sunday. But, oh well. Seriously cannot wait for the new album to drop. An absolutely amazing artist. Some great collab's on here. Ben Gibbard (DCFC) on "Couches In Alleys", which is one of my alltime favourite songs, and Andrew Kenny (American Analog Set) for "Front To Back", with one of the most amazing catchy vocal lines towards the end. So fucking good. Sweet electro-pop. Absolutely nothing 'up itself' about it. Just a wholesome, amazing record.

5. "Exile In Oblivion" by Strung Out - 2004 - Punk-Rock

Strangely, this is an album I think I underrate. Seriously. It's haunted by some dodgy production. But it's actually a downright amazing record. With some dark songs, some poppy songs, some slow songs, some lightning fast songs. Possibly the widest variation on any Strung Out record to date....actually...that'd go to AAP, but whatever. :shifty: You've got the amazing closer "The Misanthropic Principle" continuing on the tradition of amazing Strung Out closers (14 Days, Wrong Side Of The Tracks, Matchbook, Mephisto, Cemetery, The Misanthropic Principle, Diver......all AMAZING tracks), the absolute classic that is "Never Speak Again". The brooding "Vampires" and "Angeldust". And the rocking and catchy, "Scarlet" and "Swan Dive"...then there's the downright poppy "Anna Lee", which I have a newffound love for......basically...every track on here is absolutely killer.

6. "Searching For The Hows And Whys" by Get Cape Wear Cape Fly - 2008 - Acoustic-Electro/Indie

AAAAHHHHH!! KATE NASH!!! Why was I not informed about this. Yes, that's right. Kate Nash cameo's...although the lyrics she sings in "Better Things" are amazing......"After shows/All the time/Meet the band/Do a line/Hotel room/Double bed/Empty sex/And then....something/Kiss and tell/I'll tell a friend/So-&-so would like to spend/More time in my company/Thinks he could fall in love with me"....awesome. Not as good as the debut, but I'm not as familiar with the songs yet, having only played it through in its entirety once. So far; "Young & Lovestruck", "Postcards From Catalunya", "Window Of Your Mind", "I Could Build You A Tower", "Moving Forward", "Find The Time", "Better Things" and "Could've Seen It All" stand out...actually that's a lot...I guess it's fucking awesome then.

7. "Influence Of Geography" by The Southland - 2005 - Indie-Pop

I first discovered The Southland through Scrubs. The episode where Elliot hooks up with Keith, and there's the scooter-blading scene at the start, the opening track, "Shadow" is playing in the background. I tried to track down the album, to no avail, but the ever awesome Ringy hooked me up with it. :D "Shadow", absolutely amazing track. The rest of the album is very good too. From the anthematic "Aftermath", the downright cool, funky sounding "Anything At All" and "Shining Sun" to the 'moody' tracks like "Radio".

8. "I Remember When I Was Pretty" by The Playing Favorites - 2007 - Indie-Rock/Pop-Rock

Featuring members of the likes of Me First & The Gimme Gimmes, Bad Astronaut and Sugarcult...and some other shit I haven't heard...cmes The Playing Favorites. Despite having a name that annoys me to fuck to spell, they also put together quite a swank little album. All the members in the band share vocal duties, including the mighty-mighty, Joey Cape. Seriously, this album is proof that he's 10x the vocalist of just about everyone else. His tracks; "Everyone Else", "This Is The Last Train", "Spill My Guts", "Indigenous" (Which shares a vocal line/lyrics and is a follow on from the last Bad Astronaut track, "The Thirteenth Step") and "Wasteland" are arguably the best tracks on the album. All the vocalists seem fairly competent, although the track in the middle "Futuring", the singer gets on my tits in that...but I think he might also be the guy who sings on the opener, "Leavingtown", which I absolutely adore. Track 4 "Waiting" is particuarly good too.

9. "Red Of Tooth And Claw" by Murder By Death - 2008 - Alt-Rock/Folk-Rock

I haven't actually given this a whirl from top to bottom yet. But given from what I have heard. DAMN! This is going to be incredible. Always been big on Murder By Death, the singer has easily one of the most powerful voices at the moment. With the blend of 'old school' country but it's incredibly strong and thick, it just rides over everything. Beautiful. So far I've really been rocking; "Ball & Chain", "Fuego!", "A Second Oppinion" and "Ash".

10. "Senor And The Queen EP" by The Gaslight Anthem - 2008 - Punk-Rock

Like this wasn't going to make it in some form. Fucking amazing. 4 track in the punk-rock/folk-rock genre...but all so very different. Bloody brilliant. Best 'new' band going.

Edited by YI

Interesting point, the NME gave GC.WC.F (is that the official shortening?) a fairly poor review, slating I Could Build You a Tower as having overcomplicated, too literal lyrics about politics, racism etc. Of course, that selfsame tune has been sat on my iPod for several months due to the fact it was on, oh yes, the NMEs Love Music Hate Racism compilation. Between that and the Peanut fiasco my usually regular readership is highly at risk...

YI - actually, everybody - must get I Am Robot And Proud's 'The Electricity In Your House Wants To Sing'. Beautiful little album.

2 years too late buddy. (Y) "The Work" is a fucking tune.

New album due this year.