The Anime Thread

Ruki

Rawr, I really wanna make an AMV now.

I have a ton of anime DVDs, and now...well, I just need a program to edit them together and such. Windows Movie Maker doesn't get along well with my computer (although, that might have been pre-reformat), and doesn't let you load stuff from DVDs. So, any advice people?

Edit: I just realized...90% of my anime collection would be subbed, so I would probably have to download non-subbed versions of animes I want to use. Bah. Still, advice, be giving, please.

Edited by Ruki

Ruki, nothing personal, but if there's one thing the internet doesn't need any more of, it's AMVs.

And maybe I'm weird, but, I've been perusing google image search, looking at people cosplaying the character's I'm gonna cosplay this weekend(Ed Elric and Urahara). I suddenly don't feel so bad. I think I can beat 3 of the 4 Eds in this picture.

Perhaps he's storing it on his left arm so that he can whip it out and attach it to his 'metal' arm as a really, really low budget 'sword', as Ed would have used alchemy to create from his metal arm on various occasions.

...I'm clutching at straws here. :shifty:

I got more attention from attractive young women today than any other period of time in my life combined. 13 people asked to take my picture. A cute girl hugged me for no reason other than I was Edward Elric. Vic motherfucking Mignogna said I looked 'wonderful'. I got the autograph of the japanese voice actor for Alucard. All in all a productive day, I'd say.

GAINAX have confirmed that they're working on two Gurren Lagann films.

I believe they're adaptations of the TV series' story (much like the new Evangelion films), but still: I'm waiting for Norro's head to explode.

And that voice actor is Jouji Nakata, right Fanku? He is immense. I know him more for playing the Count of Monte Cristo in Gankutsuou.

Edited by Gul Stokeriño

GAINAX have confirmed that they're working on two Gurren Lagann films.

I believe they're adaptations of the TV series' story (much like the new Evangelion films), but still: I'm waiting for Norro's head to explode.

And that voice actor is Jouji Nakata, right Fanku? He is immense. I know him more for playing the Count of Monte Cristo in Gankutsuou.

yeah, that's him. He's quite a stylish and impressive individual. They do the good autograph signings way too early. The english voices of Ed and Winry from FMA, and the japanese Sailor Moon and Excel do their autograph things at 10 and 11 am. That's just not cool for us folk that gotta drive an hour and a half to get there. Assides from Jouji Nakata, all we've gotten are some english DBZ/Yu Yu Hakusho actors(one of whom took me and my girlfriends' picture, which I thought was pretty cool).

edit: I've wanted to see that Count of Monte Cristo-ish anime for the longest tme. Artistically, it looks amazing.

Edited by Fanku Kaibutsu

Gankutsuou is greatness. A slowish start but the Count's vengeance begins to kick in after only a few episodes, and just keeps building from there. And the artistic style, of course, is just pure prettiness.

You'll notice various changes in the plot if you've read the book, of course. Not least because Morcef's kid, Albert, is the focus rather than Edmond Dantes himself. Plus it starts on their trip to 'Luna' (the moon, providing a sci-fi replacement for Rome in the book) rather than at the start of Edmond's story. Then there are little things, like how Eugénie doesn't wind up being a lesbian for some reason. :shifty:

Ehh. I'm not gonna post the pictures in the picture thread. The people there just wouldn't understand. Sadly, I only have 1 day of pictures, since my camera died saturday. Shame I can't get video from a camera to my PC, I got great footage of the Cosplay Chess.

One of several outfits I never thought I'd see, Ash from Evil Dead.

Ash.jpg

Another outfit I didn't expect: Buckethead

Buckethead.jpg

I don't watch Bleach. But I've been told this is a scene of some significance.

Byakuya.jpg

Chii from Chobits.

Chii.jpg

I'm surprised someone came dressed as Major Raikov from MGS3

ColonelRai.jpg

I don't know who these two are. I just know I was dragged by my arm halfway across the lobby by my girlfriend to get a picture of them.

DNAngel.jpg

I believe these are from Disgaea

Disgaea.jpg

Final Fantasy 9?

FF9.jpg

If one picture could sum nerdness, this'd probably be it.

FMT3K.jpg

Another picture my girlfriend wanted('cuz I think Naruto sucks)

Gaara.jpg

An awesome Gantz chick. And Harlequinn.

Gantz-Harley.jpg

Haji from Blood+. Shoulda got a picture of the coffin.

Haji.jpg

Haruhi and Mikuru

Haruhi.jpg

Walter from Hellsing

Hellsing.jpg

Dunno the girl on the right, the girl on the left is from a show called Ikkitousen. I was surprised how many people were dressed up as Ikkitousen characters, 'cuz I didn't think it was at all popular.

Ikkitousen.jpg

Just a goth kid.

JustaGoth.jpg

Kenpachi

Kenpachi.jpg

KON!

Kon.jpg

Kyoraku Shunsui

KyourakuShunsui.jpg

I can't count how many L's there were. At a panel we went to, in a fairly small room, there were 7 L's. This kid was the best, 'cuz he was the creepiest.

L.jpg

Lucky Star girls.

LuckyStar.jpg

Super Mario Girls.

MarioGirls.jpg

Nabeshin!

Nabeshin.jpg

No Face

NoFace.jpg

Okami

Okami.jpg

I'd say Kingdom Hearts was the third most popular, behind Bleach and Naruto

Sora.jpg

Black Sesshomaru. On saturday, my girlfriend came as Sesshomaru. Her costume was really good and she was constantly besieged by people wanting pictures and hugs. She changed out of it after a few hours 'cuz she was sick of the attention.

Sesshy.jpg

Sumomo from Chobits

Sumomo.jpg

Team Fortress 2 folk. There was a pretty good doctor running around, but I couldn't get her picture.

TF2.jpg

Another Naruto picture my girlfriend wanted

Tsabusa.jpg

It's over 9000!

Vegita.jpg

It was a weird sight, seeing a bunch of cosplaying nerds playing Red Rover and Duck Duck Goose.

RedRover.jpg

This was a girl my girlfriend knew from school as Hinata

Naruto.jpg

Me and a girl dressed up as Winry. Say what you want about how I look, the bitches loved me in that outfit.

FMA.jpg

And finally, Mansumoto.

Mansumoto.jpg

Edited by Fanku Kaibutsu

I can't tell the gender of a lot of those people. I.. I don't see an adam's apple in some.. but they sure.. look..

... why is this closed? How strange. Eh, anyway, reopened.

Stok: Bah, you're so late it's not even funny, I've known about the film for ages now, and have even seen some leaked clips of scenes from it scattered about the internet. I am the Gurren Lagann guru around here :P

AND WHY HAVE NONE OF YOU BLOODY WATCHED SOUL EATER YET?! Seriously, I want to talk about it in here with someone, as right now the only anime I obsess over more is Gurren Lagann >_>

Also, some of those cosplayers were good, some were hideous, and some were okay. You weren't a terrible Ed, at least :P

Looks like you had the average lineup for cosplayers, really. How was the smell? >_>

Edited by The Mask of Norro

For what it's worth, I was the second best Ed there. The best was an asian chick, 'cuz the had a fully accurate wig and she was short. The smell wasn't bad, I mean. It smelled like 4,000 people in a medium-sized hotel floor. Also, thanks to the Jouji Nakata panel, I'm interested in Sgt. Frog.

edit: Also, a room full of fangirls and an attractive male voice actor will make your ears bleed.

Edited by Fanku Kaibutsu

WHY MUST THERE BE SO MANY L'S AT CONVENTIONS?! GAH!

He's like the easiest to cosplay, immediately recognizable, and... oh, I just answered my own question <_<

I tried watching the first ep of Soul Eater, was just weird. I didn't finish watching it but might give it another try. It's definitely a different art style but it didn't really draw me in. Some shows take a while to though.

No Geass next week :(. the last 2 episodes have been slow but this one was better, it seems it will pick up again soon.