The Anime Thread

Ruki

Well, considering it's the first episode, you're gonna get a good bit of story to explain how it all goes before the pace picks up.

That being said though, I'm honestly surprised. The first episode moved fairly quickly for me, really. Hopefully when you give it the second try around it'll come off better for you :P

My Zidane cosplay would have fit in with the FF9 group there :shifty:

Although I am a fan of the Haruhi, the Mikiru just looks stoned.

Edit: Norro, I am now in the process of getting Eps 1-7

Edited by Ruki

Soul Eater looks awesome so far! I watched all 7 so far after reading through here, and can't wait for No.8 to pop up (Which I'm guessing happens tomorrow morning.

Maka: Looked to be a generic female lead for a few minutes, but quickly shows she's gonna be an interesting person.

Soul Eater: Reminds me of the Gorrilaz when I see him move and talk.

Black Star: Funny, and has some awesome moves, but seems to be a bit generic at times.

Tsubaki: I hope she gets a more important part later on in the story (I'm sure she will)

Death the Kid: First he looked like a generic "dark/brooding" type, but the neurotic-ness is refreshing and I can't wait for him to improve.

Liz/Patti Thompson: I want to find out more about these, and I refuse to just read about them in the manga synopsis's.

Franken Stein: He kicks everyone's ass all while flying around in a computer chair, and has a giant screw in his head. Awesome.

DeathScythe: Or whatever his name is. It seems a bit obvious that

He is Death the Kids father as well as Maka's
but he is still a pretty fun character to watch and should be interesting later on.

Soul Eater looks awesome so far! I watched all 7 so far after reading through here, and can't wait for No.8 to pop up (Which I'm guessing happens tomorrow morning.

Maka: Looked to be a generic female lead for a few minutes, but quickly shows she's gonna be an interesting person.

Soul Eater: Reminds me of the Gorrilaz when I see him move and talk.

Black Star: Funny, and has some awesome moves, but seems to be a bit generic at times.

Tsubaki: I hope she gets a more important part later on in the story (I'm sure she will)

Death the Kid: First he looked like a generic "dark/brooding" type, but the neurotic-ness is refreshing and I can't wait for him to improve.

Liz/Patti Thompson: I want to find out more about these, and I refuse to just read about them in the manga synopsis's.

Franken Stein: He kicks everyone's ass all while flying around in a computer chair, and has a giant screw in his head. Awesome.

DeathScythe: Or whatever his name is. It seems a bit obvious that

He is Death the Kids father as well as Maka's
but he is still a pretty fun character to watch and should be interesting later on.

No no no no NO about DeathScythe :P

Death Scythe, AKA Spirit, is Maka's father, yes, but Death the Kid is Shinigami-Sama's son. Shinigami-Sama is the giant black death god with a white skull face that's their teacher (in case you didn't recognize the actual name for him, Iunno, just clarifying :P ). Death the Kid will eventually be his successor.

Maka's perhaps one of the best female leads I've seen in a character. She breaks the stereotype a lot of them follow, but at the same time still shows, well, you know... some traits that help you connect with her still on that level.

Soul Eater could totally be from the Gorillaz, yeah... and honestly, when I see Black Star, I think Kingdom Hearts because of his damn pants x_o

Tsubaki has potential to become a great character, I just hope Black Star doesn't have to change too much for it to happen, because to be honest, he's just a hilarious character as is.

Again, Death the Kid... favorite. Liz and Patty fit him perfectly, a great dynamic.

But, above all else... you pretty much said it right: Franken Stein is the kind-of badass you just don't want to mess around with in an anime. He's the type of character you'd look at and immediately know that challenging him is going to result in failure nine times out of ten.

Edited by The Mask of Norro

I know they're saying that Death is Shinigami's son, but there was a moment where they showed Spirit on his hands and knees crying, then a bit later we see Death doing a similar pose, then that transitions to Maka doing the same. It just seemed liked foreshadowing to me.

Noooot quite. Death the Kid's name is actually even a reference to it, and the fact that Death the Kid is a Shinigami himself. "Shinigami-Sama" is just the title they gave Shinigami-Sama because he's the Death God, and their teacher. Death the Kid is his son and, therefore, is a Shinigami (Death God) himself, waiting to take the throne from his father when his own time comes.

This is referenced when Shinigami-Sama tells Kid that, because he's a Shinigami, he doesn't need to train his own weapons, to which Kid replies that he wishes to make his own, rather than have others make them for him.

They use the similar poses not as foreshadowing but as a common comedic element :)

AND WHY HAVE NONE OF YOU BLOODY WATCHED SOUL EATER YET?! Seriously, I want to talk about it in here with someone, as right now the only anime I obsess over more is Gurren Lagann >_>

I downloaded the fucking theme song before I even knew it was remotely related to the show. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!

Besides, until Avatar is finally fucking over, I care about nothing else. >_>

I tried watching Soul Eater before you came in here and raved about it, Norro, and failed entirely to care. I just didn't want to hurt your feelings. >_>

Edited by Gul Stokeriño

AND WHY HAVE NONE OF YOU BLOODY WATCHED SOUL EATER YET?! Seriously, I want to talk about it in here with someone, as right now the only anime I obsess over more is Gurren Lagann >_>

I downloaded the fucking theme song before I even knew it was remotely related to the show. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!

Besides, until Avatar is finally fucking over, I care about nothing else. >_>

... hahahahahaha Avatar. I read the children's book!version of the finale and oh jeez, Avatar. I can't remember the last time a show I loved this much disappointed me this immensely, but at the same time I'm reserving final judgment for like two months from now when I can actually WATCH the two-hour finale instead of basing all my judgments off of a sixty-page book intended for ten-year olds.

I tried watching Soul Eater before you came in here and raved about it, Norro, and failed entirely to care. I just didn't want to hurt your feelings. >_>

No hurt feelings, just thinking you're insane >_>

Just kidding. I mean, you're incredibly into Code Geass and when Lorina tried to pick it up she told me it moved too slow for her. I'm gonna try to pick it up myself, but, to be honest I haven't been all too interested in it myself.

So yeah, it's cool :P

EDIT: Also, GoGo, the book you read was an adaptation. It could be that it strayed from the source a good bit, so who knows how the ending will actually go. With the way the season's been, it's looking to be great, but we'll have to see.

Edited by The Mask of Norro

I've got my friend watching Code Geass season 1 at the moment. He's an anime fan but not a big watcher, in that he'll happily watch things if placed in front of him but cannot be arsed to go and find it himself. He's been sending me periodic text messages with his comments on the series and, without any influence from me, has already come to the conclusion that:

a) the series is twelve shades of awesome

b) Suzaku is a tool

c) everyone would be a lot happier if Nina buggered off and never came back

I'm so proud. :crying:

I can't wait to hear what he says after he watches episode 22, though...

Over on my end, I got my best friend over in Texas hooked on Soul Eater now :P

It's fun drawing your friends into your world of anime, isn't it?

It's certainly a big step up from when he discounted the entire series of Escaflowne ten seconds into the first episode because, and I quote, "their noses look funny". :shifty:

EDIT: Also, GoGo, the book you read was an adaptation. It could be that it strayed from the source a good bit, so who knows how the ending will actually go. With the way the season's been, it's looking to be great, but we'll have to see.

Yes, but the things that really drove me nuts me were both shown as what looked like actual frames of animation from the show in the book and were confirmed by Mike and Bryan in an interview at the end of the book. I imagine the actual finale is going to actually have good fight scenes and more substance to the plot (hopefully ways to circumvent the plot holes as well), but yeah.

Well it WAS a book for children, and though Avatar is geared towards a younger audience, it also caters to an older one as well. So a children's book will be much more watered down than the actual show itself, I believe. The adaptation was just to fit the target market.

So yeah, I'm holding out hope. These guys have had the series finale planned since the very beginning of the show itself, so I honestly hope that all the time they've had to work on fleshing out the story pulls through in the end.

Yeah, quite possibly. Like I said, I'm holding out hope because nearly the entire series has been uniformly excellent and well-thought out, and so a lot of the stuff in the book I hated (see: everything involving Azula) could maybe be handled well and explained, especially since they've managed to pull off things I thought would be horrible effectively. Though I will be astonished if they actually manage to justify

Ty Lee, a character with identity issues stemming from growing up in an environment where she looked just like everyone else and as such developed a desire to be seen as an individual and not as part of a matched set... joining the Kyoshi Warriors who are, if not for the existence of the Joo Dees, pretty much the epitome of "matched set" in Avatar. Ugh.

Also, how they manage to get to Ba Sing Se and back over the course of three days. That's probably worth explaining too.

On the plus side, the fact that Jun's returning in a manner where she's crucial to the plot and the fact that they may or may not be implying Iroh/Jun is hysterical. Awesome reusing of a great seemingly one-off character from way back, Avatar.

I was so busy downloading the rest of Eureka 7 last night (which I've still only watched the first 8 or 9 episodes of), that I entirely forgot it was Sunday and thus Code Geass day.

I'll have to watch it tonight then...