The Anime Thread

Ruki

I'm gonna get murdered for saying this, but I can't really get into anime, and I don't have a clue as to what is good and what is bad, although my dad is obsessed with 'Appleseed' or something...

Are you looking for recommendations or something? What have you seen?

Yeah, may as well, I've seen no anime as yet.

If you want action start with Cowboy Bebop; as long as you're up for a series where most of the episodes are stand-alone stories, it's probably the best the genre has to offer in terms of TV. If that works for you, give Trigun a look, as well as Samurai Champloo. I generally wouldn't recommend any of the longer shounen programs (Naruto, Dragonball, etc.) to someone just looking to get into anime since... um, giant sinkhole of time and the plots are uneven, but if you're going to look at any of them... I'd say either Bleach or Naruto starts the strongest? One Piece is infinitely superior to both but it takes about three arcs for it to really begin to hit its stride where it's out-and-out fantastic, and it doesn't fully reach that point until around ninety episodes in.

In terms of comedy it would depend on your sense of humor. My favorite comedy series is Azumanga Daioh, but it's very, very slice-of-life and terminally adorable at points. Excel Saga is generally but incredibly random and probably better for people who are anime geeks to begin with. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is definitely recommended, though it too is fairly slice of life for a show where the primary cast includes aliens, time travelers, and... well, god, and it might take a little bit to acclimate to the fact that the episodes aren't shown in the plot's chronological order.

But ultimately I'd say check out Cowboy Bebop first; it's got a good mix of action, humor, and strong characterization, and if you're into that then branching out and looking into anime more is a worthwhile investment.

Stay away from Inu Yasha. Hundreds of episodes, not worth the time or effort.

Edit: After seeing the new Creed, I think he is pretty badass now. And his henchmen are pretty cool to boot.

Edited by RuKira

The ones I can give a decent opinion on...

* Love Hina is ye fundamental mid-90s harem anime. It's not so fan service-laden as most are these days and is also funnier than most. Good fun, but not amazing in retrospect.

* Lucky Star is either terribly, terribly bad or oddly amusing. Possibly both. I wouldn't recommend it to people, mainly because I can't pinpoint anything specific to recommend it for. They spend the first 7 minutes of episode 1 talking about the different ways in which they eat food, for God's sake.

* GTO - I've actually only read the mangas, but I'm told the anime is just as good. If this has any semblence of truth to it, watch it.

* Ichigo 100% has a typically vile premise: male schoolboy sees hot girl he doesn't recognise, but the wind blows her skirt and he sees that her panties have strawberries on them. Who is this mystery girl? Cue ecchi [perverted] nonsense. In the mangas, this "opening hook" for the perverts is brushed aside within a couple of chapters and ignored beyond that, giving rise to a pretty enjoyable story in its place. In the anime they do not do this, but up the ecchi tempo FURTHER STILL. Yeah, avoid - in anime form certainly.

(One thing about the Ichigo 100% anime that did amuse me - the tune used for the ending theme is a direct rip from Eurodance cheesy pop group The Vengaboys. THE VENGABUS IS COMING!)

* Midori no Hibi, I swear to God, has the most fucked up story premise I have ever come across in the history of human creation. I am deadly serious. I am also deadly serious when the series itself is bizarrely good in spite of this. Give it a shot. I mean it.

* Inuyasha...well well, Inuyasha. You may enjoy the first three episodes. You may quite like the first 9 episodes. You may just be able to get through the first 15 episodes. It will be then that you realise that it just loops the same bit of story over and over and over again and NEVER RESOLVES ANYTHING, despite totalling 150-odd episodes and 4 films. There is NO GOOD ENDING either. I would spare yourself the pain and step away. Now.

Edited by stokeriño

Yeah, I watched... I think it was like the first thirty episodes of GTO or so? Fucking fantastic. Watch it.

Lucky Star had an awful first episode, a decent second episode, and then the third episode couldn't hold my attention so I deleted it and haven't watched since. The Lucky Channel segments at the end are pretty much the only reliably amusing segments in the entire episode. I'm entirely convinced that half of why anyone would watch it is because Konata is a hopeless otaku loser's dream girl.

Plus from the 5 or 6 episodes I watched, the Lucky Channel segments do just do the same joke [jaded and bitter idol girl] each and every time. Can't say I wouldn't find those getting old quite quickly.

Angry Patty is awesome :shifty:

Also, just watched the first episode of Hellsing last night, it's not bad. And it made me wonder...are there any good zombie animes?

Seems Soul Eater's getting ignored more and more....

But yeah, Angry Patty stole the show, and this time Death The Kid going ADD actually helped them out this time so maybe he's getting better.

And next week mentions Excaliber! Hopefully in a serious role!

The Hellsing OVAs cover a shortened version of what the TV anime covered, then (judging from the teaser clips) also cover the manga's Nazi vampire arc. I thought the TV series ended screwy, so I'm looking forward to seeing if Starz'll air more than just the first two...or since Starz-licensed anime also comes on SciFi, maybe there too? :)

Hey, I'm looking for more anime. I would prefer something like Azumanga Daioh, The Melancholy or Love Hina. Something comedic, possibly with some intermixed drama or action. Something that doesn't suck, preferably.

School Rumble.

Hands. Fucking. Down.