The Anime Thread

Ruki

Finished the Pilaf saga of Dragon Ball. Having watched Kai before, it's insane how many characters fall by the wayside in the DB series. Poor Yamcha winds up as an absolute afterthought by Bulma once Vegeta arrives.

I think I might mix in the Tournament saga with watching Avatar, since I've never watched that, and all i've heard are good things.

Finished the Pilaf saga of Dragon Ball. Having watched Kai before, it's insane how many characters fall by the wayside in the DB series. Poor Yamcha winds up as an absolute afterthought by Bulma once Vegeta arrives.

I think I might mix in the Tournament saga with watching Avatar, since I've never watched that, and all i've heard are good things.

You haven't watched Avatar?! It was one of my favorite things I've watched in the past year.

In Yamcha's defense, there wasn't much he or the non-Saiyan/Namek folks could do after the Saiyan saga.

I think I might watch Sayonara, Zetsobou Sensei again. I've been reading the manga and I have an itch that needs to be scratched.

Yup, never seen it even once. I love the idea (I love anything based around the classical elements), but just never got around to actually seeing it.

So good! The first season might be a little weak, but it is still good. Good action scenes and good comedy. Gets even better for season 2 and 3.

And then there is Legend of Kora, which is just wonderful.

In Yamcha's defense, there wasn't much he or the non-Saiyan/Namek folks could do after the Saiyan saga.

I think I might watch Sayonara, Zetsobou Sensei again. I've been reading the manga and I have an itch that needs to be scratched.

Well, Tien was still a complete badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NhN86rKACA

also, I'm now on Slayers Revolution. I miss The Sword of Light but the show at least looks amazing up-to-date.

Needed somewhere to say this and this is the only simi-fitting place to post it sice only DB fans will appreciate it. I was playing a World Martial Arts tournament on DBZ Budokai 3 and the finals came down to Tien and Kid Goku.

So a couple people on youtube took the two best Slayers intros and made English versions and they sound fantastic.I love the 'Get Along' cover's way of working Lina's voice into the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc0kKIdpmXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K30x25zxEcw

Also, the one doing Lina's voice does it almost perfectly.

....so I think shit is finally starting to happen in Robotics;Note

Kagame-Kagame shows up again, that creepy fucking music thing. THen Mizuka starts walking towards the cliff, and even a german suplex from Kai couldn't stop her

:( That was sad! And now Subaru might have a giant robot on top of him. What the hell?!

Xellos' voice change in Slayers Revolution is so annoying. It doesn't even sound similar to the original voice. Still, at least it's not on the "AHHHHH, WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO!?"level of annoying that Lina's OVA voice is on.

[url=http://youtu.be/zhR8bN1VpA8?t=4m57s

His first scene in Revolution would have been so good if the voice would have been at least recognizable since you hear him before you see him.

What I really like is the way the tropes aren't so obvious like in some shows, I'm genuinely guessing.

E16 spoiler

The director being mental? Didn't see it coming at all.

Amazing show. WATCH IT.

Yes, they've gone out of their way to avoid a lot of the pitfalls of a lot of current series in that they rely on the same tropes without reinventing much. Due in part because it's easier not to risk everything on something the notoriously traditional anime audience might reject than take the risk at having something new and unique that becomes a phenomenon. So many series fail at trying to be subtle, and reinvent a tried concept. In this case the show has done a brilliant job taking dystopian cyberpunk and turning a lot of it around. It's not on the level where it's like Madoka to magical girl or Evangelion to mecha by any means, but it's still great and a fresh change in a world where every cyberpunk just about always feels the same.

Oh shit Psycho-Pass keeps getting better. EVERYONE. WATCH IT.

Things take yet another twist. Makishima by all comparisons is an evil guy, with no empathy for others. He wants to continue being evil, it's amazing that I almost sympathize with it in the face of the Sibyl System being revealed as people striving to be god.

And the bit after the credits was great, things are really gonna go crazy to close out.

Make sure you watch Episode 17 until after the credits too!
Gen Urobchi is some writer between this and Madoka, probably the reigning king of anime writers. If there's one complaint I have about the show it's that the directing and at times the animation doesn't match up (where in Madoka everything was essentially flawless). But man oh man, I'm now a Urobutcher cultist.

I hate that the Slayers light novels aren't easily available. Tokyopop translated and released up to Volume 8 in English but

A.They don't print them anymore

B. There are around 50 light novels which means most are not translated.

People are working on translating the ones that didn't get released but that's not much of a comfort when I can't read the ones before. I wanna see where the story goes instead of the story of the TRY season. Plus I just want something interesting to read.