Pick a music "era" that changed your world...

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Simpler than the topic title really.

Think of that time in your childhood/youth when music came into it's own for you, whether it's grunge, hair rock, emo, rave, nu-rave (for the kids) etc and list some groups from the period that others may have missed or never heard of but deserve recognition....

For me, growing up in the 80s meant some cool new wave, electro and the like alongside some shod (I remember being at my nan's watching Christmas Top Of The Pops when Rick Astley went to number 1 in the charts *shudders*).

I didn't really go for grunge at all which came in as I went to secondary school ('92) BUT what did change everything was Britpop which existed throughout my teenage years from early stuff (Suede, early Blur) to the end rumblings (Ash, Stereophonics) when it started to become something else. I wasn't into the "Madchester" scene though with Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and then Oasis - I'm not a big fan of bowl haircuts or parka jackets :shifty: and I'm not "Mad for it". Apparantly according to critics Britpop ended in 1997 with the release of Oasis' third album "Be Here Now".

So, brushing aside the usual Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Suede of the era, I'll chuck out a few groups, tracks and videos to bring happiness back to my sad, empty, tired life.

Firstly, Sleeper a rather groovy band with the gorgeous Louise as lead singer. For me their best track was this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SSe3dV7dPYw (What Do I Do Now) but they also released Inbetweener which may be their most well known hit.

While we're on girl-fronted acts, Lush were okay - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=buz5D8OWmRc

Echobelly were a bit better - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XquIZi8AIg8

Dubstar were cooler - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9oykOycwg

Elastica were probably the best of the four and as good as Sleeper (I've got an Elastica t-shirt which is bloody cool). Their song "Connection" was used for Trigger Happy TV - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GEqk7IwQ1EM

Onto the fellas:

Kula Shaker (favourite track - "Hush" - yeah it was a cover but still...) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx0_ThqHSB0

Menswear were okay - Daydreamer is a cool track - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBoEUG4-aM

Also, they're well known but I have to mention Ocean Colour Scene as they were formed just down the road from where I live. Their album "Moseley Shoals" was named after Moseley, the area of Birmingham they were from. My personal fave? Riverboat Song - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=be8wgJlYLBo

I wish I'd been old enough to fully appreciate the Ska and Two-Tone eruption between '78 and '84 or so. I was born in '80 so missed it.

Can't beat some Kula Shaker or OCS.

Mine is Grunge. Rather than wax lyrical about it, or the bands that most people already know, I'll just say that more people need to check out Screaming Trees and Mudhoney. Two criminally under-rated bands that loosely fell into the same classifications.

It's really difficult for me to decide on anything here...I think grunge initially shaped my music tastes, but it wasn't like something I felt I'd "discovered", as my older brother was into it from really early on, so when I was growing up I spent most of my time with him, and to me that was just what music was. It set a nice framework for me, but it wasn't music "coming into its own", it wasn't like an epiphany of "this is what I want to listen to".

Beyond that, I find it really tricky. "Discovering" a lot of post-punk stuff ('78-'84) shaped my tastes a lot, as it introduced me to Joy Division, Public Image Limited et al and so much more besides, but I've never really been able to define the music I listen to, as I tend to have a very short attention span when it comes to music, I'll obsess over one band or one movement one week, then the following week I'll be buying something completely different, and it all just kind of blends together after a while. I could name artists and bands that have undoubtedly changed my world, but an "era" would be very tricky.

Grunge would be the obvious choice but, as I said, there was no real conscious effort, or any real "discovery" on my part, so I'm not sure if it counts.

As gay as it sounds, I really did love the '01-'04 "garage rock resurgence" era of rock music. Early Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, et al. were all pretty awesome. It also led to awesome and incredibly underrated stuff like the Von Bondies, who I adore, and I guess I'd classify Nine Black Alps in the same sort of vein. Also, even though it wasn't garage rock, liking Franz led to liking Muse which then led to me digging up a lot of awesome British rock.

It was around the britpop time that I started to get into music. I basically took everything that was spoonfed to me, but also dug me some Jamiroquai. I have a major soft spot for all of the bands from that genre, whilst the 'big bands' I still genuinely love.

But it was the 90's punk-rock scene that really shaped my musical tastes of today. I started branching out more. Listening to my own thing. Yes, I loved the likes of Blink 182, but I never liked Green Day, true fact, they always bored me shitless and as time has went on they've got even more dull...but I don't want to start a pro/anti Green Day arguement here.

Anyway. There's bands and albums released during this time that I absolutely adore, and rank as some of my favourite albums, which have so many memories tied up in them;

"Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues" by Strung Out

"Full Circle" by Pennywise

"Jersey's Best Dancers" by Lifetime

"My Brain Hurts" by Screeching Weasel

"Against The Grain" by Bad Religion

"Enema Of The State" by Blink 182

"Speed Is Relative" by Cigar

"24 Hour Revenge Therapy" by Jawbreaker

"Behind Bars" by 88 Fingers Louie

"Fuel For The Hate Game" by Hot Water Music

"A Comprehensive Guide to Moderne Rebellion" by Good Riddance

"Over The James" by Avail

"How To Clean Everything" by Propagandhi

"Leche Con Carne" by No Us For A Name

etc.

It still had somewhat of the unpollished/gnarly sound of 80's punk, which I think the punk-rock today is missing. Too much pointless guitar wankery and 'clean' sounding.

Edited by YI

The late 90s boom of rap-metal got me heavily interested in music, to be honest. Before a friend introduced me to Limp Bizkit in 1999, I was all about Eminem and early Three 6 Mafia (Sippin' On Some Syrup > most) and shit. So, while the music and artists that got me to dig deeper for better stuff wasn't necessarily "good", I do owe that genre of music alot.

For me it's probably extreme metal. I didn't really gain an interest in music until I started listening to Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer, and those likes brought me into a lot of communities based on "tr00 kvlt metal", communities where bands like that were denounced and the likes of Emperor, Mayhem and other Norwegian black metal bands' praises were sung heavily. I started checking out black metal and death metal, then I got into the slower extreme metal - doom metal, that is - and from there I've evolved in terms of musical taste by leaps and bounds (though I do still have a handful of doom, death and black metal albums that I still love).

Sadly the 99' years of Pop was the music I grew up with not really listening to much except on the radio. That brings in Britney, J-Lo, Backstreet Boys etc. I kinda stayed in that vein until actually about 05' when some friends showed me Metallica/Heavy Metal which led me to find Metalium which I love.

It's hard for me to say, I'd suppose hearing Black Sabbath for the first time shaped my early days as a music fan. I was probably only nine or ten, and started to enjoy "classic rock" during much of my early adolescence. I was also a fan of many bands active during my childhood, such as the Smashing Pumpkins and Rage Against the Machine.

Around the time I entered high school I first heard the Ramones, which opened the door.The Ramones opened new doors to me in music, it was because of them that I checked out a lot of other punk bands in their era. Stuff like the Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders, Dead Kennedys, and the Sex Pistols got me to venture into other avenues of punk, which also led to checking out metal, rockabilly, blues, surf, garage, etc. etc. etc. I'd say it was largely the music between 1975-1982 that really shaped my taste in music, much of the proto punk, punk, and metal of the time. It was through that era of music that I got into a multitude of different styles of rock and roll. I'd say my music collection is largely rock and roll oriented but not limited to only rock and roll.

Oh, and the bands people may have missed.

The Saints - Stranded Prototypical 77 sound, one of the best bands from Australia, and often overlooked as one of the early pioneers of punk.

Wayne County and the Electric Chairs - Cream in my jeans Wayne County aka Jayne County was the transvestite front man/woman for this excellent group. Their sound is reminiscent of Johnny Thunders L.A.M.F., but definitely has it's own charm. I think Jayne has since had a sex change operation, but don't remember.

Zolar X - Rocket Roll This is a recent concert, but it seems that they haven't lost a step. They were a fun band, they'd be adorned in martian regalia and also created their own martian language. They didn't actually sing in the martian language, but did sing about space agey shit.

The Screamers -

Think of Suicide, but place them in San Francisco, give them a drummer, and make them much more chaotic. This is the Screamers, one of the greatest of punk bands, but often overlooked. Unfortunately, their only two albums have never been re-released onto CD form, and copies of the original LP's cost a bit of cash. Fortunately the internet has made them accessible, as did as DVD release a few years ago. Edited by VerbalPuke

It was around the britpop time that I started to get into music. I basically took everything that was spoonfed to me, but also dug me some Jamiroquai. I have a major soft spot for all of the bands from that genre, whilst the 'big bands' I still genuinely love.

But it was the 90's punk-rock scene that really shaped my musical tastes of today. I started branching out more. Listening to my own thing. Yes, I loved the likes of Blink 182, but I never liked Green Day, true fact, they always bored me shitless and as time has went on they've got even more dull...but I don't want to start a pro/anti Green Day arguement here.

Anyway. There's bands and albums released during this time that I absolutely adore, and rank as some of my favourite albums, which have so many memories tied up in them;

"Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues" by Strung Out

"Full Circle" by Pennywise

"Jersey's Best Dancers" by Lifetime

"My Brain Hurts" by Screeching Weasel

"Against The Grain" by Bad Religion

"Enema Of The State" by Blink 182

"Speed Is Relative" by Cigar

"24 Hour Revenge Therapy" by Jawbreaker

"Behind Bars" by 88 Fingers Louie

"Fuel For The Hate Game" by Hot Water Music

"A Comprehensive Guide to Moderne Rebellion" by Good Riddance

"Over The James" by Avail

"How To Clean Everything" by Propagandhi

"Leche Con Carne" by No Us For A Name

etc.

It still had somewhat of the unpollished/gnarly sound of 80's punk, which I think the punk-rock today is missing. Too much pointless guitar wankery and 'clean' sounding.

Bastard, you posted exactly what I was going to post.

Plus nofx, Millencolin, Rancid, Offspring etc.

I would add a bit of ska into that as well, like Sublime, Bosstones, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger and the like.

Simpler than the topic title really.

Think of that time in your childhood/youth when music came into it's own for you, whether it's grunge, hair rock, emo, rave, nu-rave (for the kids) etc and list some groups from the period that others may have missed or never heard of but deserve recognition....

For me, growing up in the 80s meant some cool new wave, electro and the like alongside some shod (I remember being at my nan's watching Christmas Top Of The Pops when Rick Astley went to number 1 in the charts *shudders*).

I didn't really go for grunge at all which came in as I went to secondary school ('92) BUT what did change everything was Britpop which existed throughout my teenage years from early stuff (Suede, early Blur) to the end rumblings (Ash, Stereophonics) when it started to become something else. I wasn't into the "Madchester" scene though with Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and then Oasis - I'm not a big fan of bowl haircuts or parka jackets :shifty: and I'm not "Mad for it". Apparantly according to critics Britpop ended in 1997 with the release of Oasis' third album "Be Here Now".

So, brushing aside the usual Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Suede of the era, I'll chuck out a few groups, tracks and videos to bring happiness back to my sad, empty, tired life.

Firstly, Sleeper a rather groovy band with the gorgeous Louise as lead singer. For me their best track was this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SSe3dV7dPYw (What Do I Do Now) but they also released Inbetweener which may be their most well known hit.

While we're on girl-fronted acts, Lush were okay - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=buz5D8OWmRc

Echobelly were a bit better - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XquIZi8AIg8

Dubstar were cooler - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_X9oykOycwg

Elastica were probably the best of the four and as good as Sleeper (I've got an Elastica t-shirt which is bloody cool). Their song "Connection" was used for Trigger Happy TV - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GEqk7IwQ1EM

Onto the fellas:

Kula Shaker (favourite track - "Hush" - yeah it was a cover but still...) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx0_ThqHSB0

Menswear were okay - Daydreamer is a cool track - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBoEUG4-aM

Also, they're well known but I have to mention Ocean Colour Scene as they were formed just down the road from where I live. Their album "Moseley Shoals" was named after Moseley, the area of Birmingham they were from. My personal fave? Riverboat Song - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=be8wgJlYLBo

I wish I'd been old enough to fully appreciate the Ska and Two-Tone eruption between '78 and '84 or so. I was born in '80 so missed it.

When I discovered the Kerrang channel on Sky in 2000/2001 when I was about 12. I remember hearing 'Break Stuff' for the first time and thinking fuck, this is awesome. It was music I'd never heard before and a welcome break from the usual pop stuff that I had been spoonfed previously.

I never really got into music until I moved to uni. I mean, obviously I listened to it, but nothing really grabbed me and said "listen to me! I'm awesome!". I owned CD's by Nickelback, Creed, InMe and Puddle of Mudd, that's how bad it was.

I liked my mum's music, she used to play Dire Straits, Meat Loaf and Queen in the car all the time (she also played Chris Rea, but... well...).

But then I moved to university, and my roommate, noting my long hair and pathetic facial hair, introduced me to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Helloween and Dragonforce. I've never looked back :P

So yeah, my music era isn't really an era. I guess if I had to pick one 'era', it'd be late 80's/early 90's power metal. Although that misses out so many bands, it's silly.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I never really got into music until I moved to uni. I mean, obviously I listened to it, but nothing really grabbed me and said "listen to me! I'm awesome!". I owned CD's by Nickelback, Creed, InMe and Puddle of Mudd, that's how bad it was.

Dunno if you'd count it as an era, but 1999-2001, was the time I went from pure pop music with a few family influences in rock to full blown slut to the rock genre. The whole New Metal schtick was so tight that year and ska-punk was really in its element too, not to mention pop-punk hitting a high with Blink and Offspring having two of their most famous albums around that time.

I was a funny one. It was like a combo of Hair Metal, Indie and Punk Rock. And although I consider myself a glam fan, I appreciate that most Hair Metal is absolutely bollocks. The bands that influenced by like of music were probably Motley Crue, Guns 'N' Roses, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Generation X, The Clash, Towers of London, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, Primal Scream, Hardcore Superstar, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Nickelback, Talking Heads, Feeder.

The way I sum it up is that I'm a fan of American rock n' roll, but I appreciate my British roots and appreciate that we make better music in the long scheme of things.