WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

In the interview it said you have to use a tag team finisher now if in a tag match. What about if randomly pair up Taker and Orton for 1 match? Would there be a generic finisher or would it revert to two momentum bars?

But apart from that I'm extremely happy with what they say there doing. That is unless they get rid of GM mode.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to videos of create a finisher, I'm really interested to see how that works.

The tag team system sounds very interesting. I just hope that you're not FORCED to use a double team finisher like the article makes it seem, and you can still perform your solo finisher if you want.

I really hope that you can store a finisher. After playing some of the older smackdowns recently, I really, really miss that feature.

I was a bit cynical at first but I'm actually really impressed with that create a finisher video. They always say the same thing every year, we're fixing animations, we're improving story mode blah blah blah but create a finisher actually does seem like a real inovation. I'm wondering how limited it turns out to be but from the video it looks pretty sweet.

In the interview it said you have to use a tag team finisher now if in a tag match. What about if randomly pair up Taker and Orton for 1 match? Would there be a generic finisher or would it revert to two momentum bars?

But apart from that I'm extremely happy with what they say there doing. That is unless they get rid of GM mode.

I'm sure they'll be generic ones. Hell, probably all of them will be, as there aren't really that many actual tag team specific moves in the WWE anymore...

They had tag team finishers in Rumble Roses XX if anyone's ever played that. In fact, a few of them will probably be the same.

Fuck Co-Op Story mode and Create A Finisher - When are we going to get a half-decent Royal Rumble match? The generic old one was much better than what they currently have.

I'd go with something like being on orange/red means you can just clothesline them over the top and they'll be eliminated - Anything less and they'll go over the top rope, but will land on the apron.

Also, for added realism, the "lesser" guys who appear in the Rumble can be eliminated a lot easier...so it'd depend on their OVR rating.

I'd go with something like being on orange/red means you can just clothesline them over the top and they'll be eliminated - Anything less and they'll go over the top rope, but will land on the apron.

Thats pretty much already there, if a body part is in red you can strong whip them and they'll just go straight out, no mini-game meter to mess around with.

Thats pretty much already there, if a body part is in red you can strong whip them and they'll just go straight out, no mini-game meter to mess around with.

Yeah, I know. Which is why it should be easier to implement. I just find the mini-game stupid. It rarely ever happens during Rumble's, so why have it as the focal point of the match?

The Ladder match has already improved a lot, so should the Rumble. It's personal preference obviously, but I'd certainly prefer to be able to strong whip/clothesline a Funaki/Jamie Noble/other guy who'll never come close to winning the Rumble over the top rope...without having to play a "mini-game" beforehand. The ability to strong whip/clothesline a higher rated person over should be based on their condition in the match.

The thing with the Rumble match, or any match at that (particularly Iron Man, Submission, etc.) is a more varied and indepth damage system with a way to regain health and/or stamina/whatever in the match.

The way the Smackdown games are designed is for 3-8 minute matches if you're lucky. The rare longer one may happen. But it's rather difficult to effectively pull a Flair/Mysterio/Benoit/Michaels/et al Rumble performance on a system designed for such short matches when these matches (and even in the game) can go for a time. Also once both guys are red in a Iron Man match it's effectively redundant as either can whip off a pin or submission with relative ease.

Skipped the last two games and my latest purchase in the series was SvR 2006, which means I don't have a wrestling game for Xbox 360. Both of the latest games just got such bad reactions that I couldn't bother buying them and I think that no matter what the creators say, it's going to more or less suck. Sure, they said HCTP would be great and it was, but after that it's been one step forward and two back every year. This may sound cynical, but the developers always seem more interested in throwing in some random features like 'Have buttsex with Torrie Wilson' or 'Decorate your locker room' and whatever, instead of making a good game that you can enjoy alone, with company or online. Only the third one mentioned really functions well right now. As a matter of fact, the locker room is a nice addition and all and would actually only add to the experience if the core of the game, the matches, was good.

Guest Makaveli 84

Graphically the PS3 XBox360 versions look so much better but the wrestlers look super shiny! lol but yeah i doubt i'll actually get the game unless it featurs a hella load of classic wrestlers along with a ton of gameplay, unlockables etc... Otherwise i fear it will be another forgettable Wrestling game.

The thing with the Rumble match, or any match at that (particularly Iron Man, Submission, etc.) is a more varied and indepth damage system with a way to regain health and/or stamina/whatever in the match.

The way the Smackdown games are designed is for 3-8 minute matches if you're lucky. The rare longer one may happen. But it's rather difficult to effectively pull a Flair/Mysterio/Benoit/Michaels/et al Rumble performance on a system designed for such short matches when these matches (and even in the game) can go for a time. Also once both guys are red in a Iron Man match it's effectively redundant as either can whip off a pin or submission with relative ease.

I agree completely with this. I think they should implement a system where say in a singles match, moves do 100% damage, but on say a hardcore match where people get hit in the head with chairs and the likes all the time they should only have a 50% damage or something. It'd be like the wrestlers going into a big match like a Royal Rumble or a title match would step it up and bring their 'A' game, so they're a bit more versatile in kicking out. It's silly that you play through season mode and get to hardcore matches and they're over in like 5 minutes because it only takes that long to get your opponent in the red for a pin.

Dammit i thought it the new SVR 2009 would be like the "in your house game" on the psx where suddenly you can pull out a toy hammer and use it.

I wonder how would create a finisher would work? Also it be awesome if they did updates for the roster because as soon as the game is released there are 5 or 6 wrestlers missing or aren't suppose to be there

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this going to be THQ and Jakks Pacific's last WWE game? I thought the license runs out after this one and WWE wants to go in a different direction.

If that's the case, I don't see why they wouldn't go balls out to make the best game they possibly can. AKI did it with No Mercy, and we're still talking about that fucking game.

For that reason, and that reason alone, I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this year's installment develops.

I want to hear more about the season mode before I get too bothered about it...but this is some nice additions to the game series and completes the whole create-a-superstar feature nicely, I just hope the mentioned secondary game mode for non top-tier WWE superstars is worthy of a play-through otherwise, it might seem like a waste of time going through all that customisation. I skipped '08 because of the lack of interest in playing through a GM Mode in the main mode, so if that's all this secondary mode is, I think they will kill the hype I have.

• 3 months later...

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2009-20080710033930223_640w.jpg

There's an inferno match screenshot

Link

Here's the link there are about 9 others. I'll be interested to see how they handle the actual finishes of the matches. It'll probably always be something like someone's boot catches fire or something.

Link For New Preview From IGN

It all sounds pretty good actually. I love the stat tracking on the loading screens.

Edited by JoeMimic