WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

Matzat: It's not that the PS3 is selling poorly (which it is, but I mean at least it's slowly getting sold more then it used to), it's that the PS2 is still one of the most popular and widely-used gaming consoles on the market. Even after all these years, the PS2 still manages to keep powering on through against next gen consoles, whereas you hardly hear about anyone going for an old X-Box or Gamecube these days.

Honestly, the PS2 is probably one of the greatest gaming consoles ever made, the fact that its sales even today are still doing as great as they are against its successor and it's successor's competition is a testament to that.

Any developer who makes a game for all the next-gen consoles but DOESN'T have a version for the PS2 will likely wind up losing a good chunk of buyers they could have had because of it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically know that, but wassent there already a fear that last years SD might not come out or be defenetly the last one to come out for PS2?

It´s really silly, Sony is blocking PS2 on PS3 so thy can sell more PS3 games and everybody is supposed to buy new Consoles for just a few extra features (and it´s not that you are not missing features non the less since every console gets it´s own little extra) in games that they just can get on their old System. (corect me if i am wrong, but there issent relay that large of an exclusive lineup for PS3 yet right? The last thing i heared was like 7 Games so everybody went to X-Box for GTA or something... o.O)

Why dos sony not just stop hannding out PS2 licenses - it´s not that Nintendo still sells SNES Cardriges becaus people are fighting over the old games on the Internet (well, i am >_>) - it just surprised me. (i actually was surprised when i read the TNA game was on PS2 aswell, and had a good laugh when i heared that CAW was the feature cut for the PS2 but i belive i got this of topic fare enough by now so i´ll stop >_>)

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

IGN says the ending of the inferno match has one wrestler completely set on fire, then they roll around on the floor in flames for a "disturbingly long" time before being doused with fire extinguishers

Matzat: It's not that the PS3 is selling poorly (which it is, but I mean at least it's slowly getting sold more then it used to), it's that the PS2 is still one of the most popular and widely-used gaming consoles on the market. Even after all these years, the PS2 still manages to keep powering on through against next gen consoles, whereas you hardly hear about anyone going for an old X-Box or Gamecube these days.

Honestly, the PS2 is probably one of the greatest gaming consoles ever made, the fact that its sales even today are still doing as great as they are against its successor and it's successor's competition is a testament to that.

Any developer who makes a game for all the next-gen consoles but DOESN'T have a version for the PS2 will likely wind up losing a good chunk of buyers they could have had because of it.

The success of the PS2 isn't the only thing to consider though. I'm sure Sony would recognise the benefits of phasing out the PS2 as a way of slowly forcing consumers to upgrade, but the success of the Wii means the company needs a 'budget' option to compete in that market and the PS2 provides that. Sony would love everyone to make the step up to PS3 but the reality is that it's an expensive machine and if the PS2 suddenly became obsolete I'm sure a lot of people would plump for the Wii. During previous generations, the disparity in between the consoles probably wasn't so profound either - a PS3 still costs, what, 2-3 times as much a Wii in most places?

I'll just say what I said before the board problems hit and all those posts were lost:

I hope the new create a finisher option allows for a Phoenix Moonsault (Cat In The Hat) or a right-left foot shuffle followed by a kick to the gut and an uppercut (The Whoville Shuffle, but that's a signature move, not a finisher) so I can make Whoaseussa, a wrestler I used to use from time to time in the EWB hardcore title when it was still around. Because I highly doubt it will be possible to create either of the finishers I'd like to give my avatar wrestler, which I also used in the EWB hardcore title: The People's Noggin Punt (similar to the People's Elbow, but with the attacker standing over the victim's head so there's no need to leap over them and ending with a kick to the head) and the Possession (Dragon Screw Leg Whip into a Curb Stomp into a Scorpion Death Lock). Its bad enough that they removed the implant (Impaler) version of the Edgecution a few years ago. (I used to use that for one of my avatar's finishers, and the pancake version sucks)

I wish they'd make the poison mist recolorable, since I prefer to use blue mist.

The success of the PS2 isn't the only thing to consider though. I'm sure Sony would recognise the benefits of phasing out the PS2 as a way of slowly forcing consumers to upgrade, but the success of the Wii means the company needs a 'budget' option to compete in that market and the PS2 provides that. Sony would love everyone to make the step up to PS3 but the reality is that it's an expensive machine and if the PS2 suddenly became obsolete I'm sure a lot of people would plump for the Wii. During previous generations, the disparity in between the consoles probably wasn't so profound either - a PS3 still costs, what, 2-3 times as much a Wii in most places?

I thought Wii and XB360 had more System Selling games aside from the lower Price? Was PS3 released that much later? (on the other hand i heared a ton of people only bought Wii for Wii sports, so... meh... but still, The Nintendo Titles alone outnumber the PS3 Exclusives, right? The screw atacke top 10 had like 7 Titles a cupple of month back)

Maybe they got cocky becaus the N64 was a big fuck up an X_Box was not around for a long time wen PS2 started... kinda like Nintendo after the SNES era... fucking up all the good developers becaus they thought they could dicated everything.

I thought Wii and XB360 had more System Selling games aside from the lower Price? Was PS3 released that much later? (on the other hand i heared a ton of people only bought Wii for Wii sports, so... meh... but still, The Nintendo Titles alone outnumber the PS3 Exclusives, right? The screw atacke top 10 had like 7 Titles a cupple of month back)

Maybe they got cocky becaus the N64 was a big fuck up an X_Box was not around for a long time wen PS2 started... kinda like Nintendo after the SNES era... fucking up all the good developers becaus they thought they could dicated everything.

I think you mean Gamecube there, Matzat. I'm fairly certain that for its time, N64 was downright amazing for a cartridge based system and held its own against the PlayStation and, for a short while, Dreamcast :P

PS2 had Gamecube as its competitor for awhile and then, as you said, X-Box came in there later on in both system's lives. And much as I loved the Gamecube, it wasn't exactly the most memorable of Nintendo's systems.

Anyway, yeah, I do admit that using the PS2 as a budget option is another good reason why Sony's stuck with it, but you can't discredit the name value of the PS2 in today's market either. It's a big reason why it's still a contender today. A last generation console is cheaper, and the PS2 is a last generation console that has graphics nearly on par with the Wii, a current generation console. Moreover, the PS2 is already well distinguished as one of the greatest consoles of all time, it's practically been a household name ever since it came out (though now the Wii is basically becoming the same).

Naaa, i got me an N64 and Besides Zelda and the Wrestling games it dident do much for me, but thats mostly becaus i have the Big RPG love and the stuff was just goon over to PSX - that was the reason i went with a Chiped PS2 in the end, being able to get the games i missed out on PSX (chip was important becaus some of the best games did not make it over to europe, same with the ps2 games) and get the newer stuff that came out.

Right now i am drifting towards Wii because i can get NGC games that i missed out on (a cupple of years in Nintendo started getting back what they lost because of the PSX dilemma) and see a lot of new inovative games floating around... it´s just to bad becaus i´ed miss out on MGS and GTA... :->

So for my personal situation Wii is kinda what PS2 was a cupple of years back... but i expect to see PS3 comming back stronger than N64 did in a cupple of years.

But this is to far of topic by now so i´ll just stop for good.

Naaa, i got me an N64 and Besides Zelda and the Wrestling games it dident do much for me, but thats mostly becaus i have the Big RPG love and the stuff was just goon over to PSX - that was the reason i went with a Chiped PS2 in the end, being able to get the games i missed out on PSX (chip was important becaus some of the best games did not make it over to europe, same with the ps2 games) and get the newer stuff that came out.

Right now i am drifting towards Wii because i can get NGC games that i missed out on (a cupple of years in Nintendo started getting back what they lost because of the PSX dilemma) and see a lot of new inovative games floating around... it´s just to bad becaus i´ed miss out on MGS and GTA... :->

So for my personal situation Wii is kinda what PS2 was a cupple of years back... but i expect to see PS3 comming back stronger than N64 did in a cupple of years.

But this is to far of topic by now so i´ll just stop for good.

Fair play, but just tossing this out there: N64 was a big fuck up for you then, because Lord knows it did one hell of a job surviving and thriving in the market back then >_>

You're definitely right on PS3 coming back stronger though. Thing's the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market right now, and with its library of exclusive games slowly building up, I wouldn't be surprised to see PS3 rise from the grave it nearly put itself in when it first came out.

I´ed have some things to day about that, but i´ll keep it short -> as it is i am still searching, buying, downloa... >_> and playing games for SNES, PSX and PS2 while my N64 just sits there... i got a few games i want to try, like Bad fur day or Mario RPG (wich never came out here) but when there is monney i go for games on other Systems - i just never conected to this little fella. :-X

Maybe we should stop talking here and open an N64 Topic... you know me, i can´t shut up. >_<

My N64 has outlasted my PSOne, PS2, X-Box, Dreamcast, and one 360. But I suppose it's an opinion matter on whether it was "a big fuck up" or not.

EDIT: And to actually add something to the discussion of the game: I didn't buy 2008, because I didn't enjoy 2007 all that much. I have to see a kick ass (or atleast a logical) season mode in place before I decide to drop the money for 2009.

Edited by Meacon

Regardless of being a successful system (though not successful compared to the PS1), the n64 was the moment that Nintendo fell off its throne. Of course now they're back on top by doing many of the things people shit on them for in the past - being too "kiddie," inferior hardware, relying on the same franchises, etc.

Regardless of being a successful system (though not successful compared to the PS1), the n64 was the moment that Nintendo fell off its throne. Of course now they're back on top by doing many of the things people shit on them for in the past - being too "kiddie," inferior hardware, relying on the same franchises, etc.

BUT... BUT THERE'S MOTION CONTROL! A SHODDY GIMMICK MOST OF THE TIME, BUT IT'S MOTION CONTROL!

But for games that are designed around the concept - Wii sports, Boom Blox, Tiger Woods - it's a great gimmick. The Wii's a great system, it just took Nintendo awhile to find their niche in the new world of video games and now it's paying off huge for them.

And to actually add something to the discussion of the game: I didn't buy 2008, because I didn't enjoy 2007 all that much. I have to see a kick ass (or atleast a logical) season mode in place before I decide to drop the money for 2009.

I'm pretty much done with the series... I've never really liked it to begin with, save for a few decent games - SD2, HCTP, 2006, but the series has been utter shit for the most part. I cannot wait until someone else gets the WWE license.

With the N64, I'd have to agree that it was the moment Nintendo fell off its throne, yeah. It seemed unstoppable with the NES and SNES in the prime of the two systems, but when the N64 became Nintendo's answer to the already established and popular PlayStation, it was made clear that Nintendo wasn't going to be the top dog of that generation. Sure, it beat the Saturn, and sure even in the next generation the GameCube held out as well, but... ever since they came into the race, Sony's really been dominant.

Well, at least until this generation, which, who'd have thought it, is being dominated by Nintendo and Microsoft.

And you have to admit, Nintendo's done a better job this generation of not banking on the same franchises at least. They did that with the GameCube and the 'Cube was a colossal failure in comparison to its competitors (well, aside from, you know, Dreamcast). At least this time around Nintendo's working on making new games that are Wii-specific that are selling as well as they are, even if they are mostly banking on the novelty of the console.

ANYWAY! Enough thread hijacking, I think Matzat's advice is the best way to go: I'll toss together a console history discussion thread in here at some point tonight. Should be fun, really... it'll open the door to some good discussion for all consoles throughout gaming history so hey :D

Well technically, Nintendo's doing the dominating this time around, I'm pretty sure Wii sales have surpassed the 360. Of course the 360 is home to the blockbuster titles while Wii has a few diamonds in the pile of shovelware, but Nintendo laughs to the bank.

I was more of saying that Microsoft and Nintendo are both dominating it in sales over Sony, as in they're the top two. Nintendo's still doing better then Sony and Microsoft combined though, yeah, in both the home market and the portable one (with the DS).

Dunno why I forgot to start that thread last night, ah well, I'll start it now.