Doctor Who

Benji

• 2 weeks later...

From Steven Moffat's Twitter:

To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot.

So maybe a Doctor Who movie wont be as bad as some were expecting it to be.

Two classic episodes of Doctor Who - thought to be missing forever - have been returned to the BBC archive.Episode 3 of the William Hartnell adventure "Galaxy 4" and Episode 2 of Patrick Troughton's "The Underwater Menace" were purchased by film collector Terry Burnett at a village fete near Southampton in the early 80s. He had been unaware that the canisters contained material missing from the BBC.

Thanks to the kind loan by Mr Burnett, the classic footage has been shown today at the British Film Institute's annual "Missing Believed Wiped" event at the National Film Theatre in London. Host at the event was Doctor Who writer and actor Mark Gatiss who said: "Christmas has come early for Doctor Who fans everywhere. It's always wonderful when a missing episode turns up but it's been years since the last one so to have two is just brilliant. Add to that a proper bit of action from the legendary Chumblies (and the horrifying Rills!) plus the utterly mesmeric Patrick Troughton on great form. Well, what more could we all ask for?"

Over 100 episodes of Doctor Who from the 1960s still remain missing. The tapes were routinely wiped once the rights to repeat them had expired. It seems unfathomable to us today, but before the advent of DVDs and iPlayer, grainy black and white material was thought to no longer be of interest to the television audience. However, many film prints sold overseas have since been returned. These latest discoveries are the first complete episodes to have been located since 2004.

None of the four episodes of the 1965 adventure "Galaxy 4" were known to have survived, although a short extract had been retained.

Research has shown that the returned episodes originated from the ABC channel in Australia. In fact, the copy of The Underwater Menace is still missing a few short sections which were removed by the Australian censors upon its original transmission Down Under. Fresh scans of the missing material have been made by the National Archives of Australia and will be incorporated into the restored episodes ahead of a DVD release.

Details of a commercial release will be announced by 2 entertain in 2012.

So.. I took the plunge and I am now waist deep in the modern era of Dr. Who. We are just getting ready to start the Christmas special leading into season 4 - which I am pumped to get through now that Martha is gone (ugh, does anyone actually like Martha?) and I can finally see the Eleventh Doctor on the horizon.

I liked Martha, I think she just got unlucky being in that terrible 'John Simm killed by the word Doctor' series finale. That and her part of the farewell tour being that she now had dreadlocks and was with Noel Clark, because you know, they're black. Otherwise she was fine, and had a fine ass ass.

Martha seemed like a failed attempt at what they have done with Rory's character. The whole "Doctor with The Doctor" story. As well as that, she came in after Rose which, no matter what anyone's opinion of her is (I think she was terrible), the characters had to play on her loss which overshadowed Martha as a character.

The official full news piece:

Doctor Who's Amy and Rory to leave during next series

BBC News

Doctor Who boss Steven Moffat made the announcement at a screening of the Christmas episode at BBC TV Centre in London.

"The final days of the Ponds are coming," Moffat said.

"I'm not telling you when or how, but that story is going to come to a heartbreaking end."

He said the Doctor, played by Matt Smith, was going to meet "a new friend". It is believed that role has not yet been cast.

On the departure of Gillan and Darvill, Matt Smith said: "We had the most incredible journey. We took over the show and we've really had to hold hands and help each other through it.

"So it's very disappointing, but one has to remember that this show is about change and regeneration, and that's what galvanizes it and pushes it forwards."

The Christmas Day special - titled The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe - sees the Time Lord go on an adventure with Madge Arwell (Claire Skinner) and her two children, Lily and Cyril, when they are evacuated from London to Dorset during World War II.

:(

:( I know it has to happen eventually, and I was expecting it next series, but Rory in particular I just don't want to go - he's my favourite companion ever. That said, Rory constantly "dying" has to be going somewhere, especially now both he and The Silence have openly acknowledged it, and with the idea of their ending being "heartbreaking", I really can't see their story ending in any way other than Rory being killed off as a result of the Doctor's recklessness, and Amy finally shutting the Doctor out of her life.

I really hoped they'd stick around as "stay at home" assistants and make a cameo here and there, though.

The only 'purpose' I got for Martha's character was to expose how The Doctor felt after losing Rose. Unfortunately this much became obvious pretty swiftly, and didn't really justify all of the tiresome "I HEART YOU DOCTOR *puppy dog eyes*" thing she had going.

Plus, you know...she just wasn't interesting. Or funny.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a strange one. It wasn't bad at all, it just didn't seem like any episode I've seen. I enjoyed it yes, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The ending was incredibly sweet though, a lovely way to end the episode and bring about the start of closure to Amy and Rory's story.

It was fairly dull, somewhat obscurely paced and structured; and with nowhere near enough Bill Bailey, but the end was sweet and made me beam uncontrollably, to the point where I might almost forgive it entirely.

It was silly and wonderful and heartwarming and silly and fun and ridiculous and, yes, silly. Just like last year's X-Mas special by Moffatt was, a sort of one off of oddness and randomness that doesn't have to fit into any big design or series long arcs. It was great. But mainly just silly wonderful fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor question, since when can the Doctor breath in space?

Did he bcome Batman when I wasn't looking?

Or the Enviroment shields might extend a bit further than the ship itself I suppose

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=onzNsiTOV30

Skip to 3.44

I know he is wearing a helmet but I don't think it has an oxygen tank, it was just increasing the time he could stay out there. It was explained in the episode, but I can't remember it too well.

Edited by Naitch16