Video Games With The Best Soundtracks

OGpistolpete

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yer, THPS1-4 were pretty good, but the more recent ones had way too many songs. Couldn't really get into it as you couldn't familiarise with a song. Like, when I hear certain tracks I got to know through THPS2, I can remember specific spots where maybe I did something cool with that song on, can't do that when there's hundreds of songs.

Skate. on the other hand has a pretty nice and aried soundtrack, outside of a couple of dodgy remixes, and the rap shite.

The Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts game music are great, but honourable mentions should go to Brawl, Tony Hawk's (2 and then Underground 2) and Prince Of Persia series (Warrior Within > Sands Of Time > Two Thrones. In gameplay and music)

Final Fantasy isn't a soundtrack, it's an original score.
Definitions of soundtrack on the Web:

* Technically, this term refers to the audio component of a movie. Popularly, it refers to a collection of songs which are heard during the movie ...

Source

* The soundtrack refers to the audio aspect of a film.

Source

* Music you hear when playing a game.

Source

While it's not licensed songs, FF is technically a soundtrack... :P

"Heaven Is A Halfpipe" was also in THPS2, IIRC. At least, it was in the PC version. Most of the Tony Hawk games had good songs, until they got off the "Pro Skater" name.

Edited by Kryptonite3d

The SSX game on PSP has some really cool music on, a great mix of stuff from hip hop, to lo-fi, to indie, to breaks....Groovy. (Y)

Though the MGS games always have genius soundtracks, very very slick and well produced, and Vice City had the brilliant radio stations, particularly Wave and Emotion.

Sonic The Hedgehog.

I up you with Sonic 2

seriously! That is immense. And also my ringtone. :shifty:

I up your Chemical Plant Zone with the far more awesome Metropolis Zone:

However, the winner of the thread is obviously Castlevania. Every song on every Castlevania game is awesome, especially when covered by rock bands ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil

Sonic The Hedgehog.

I up you with Sonic 2

seriously! That is immense. And also my ringtone. :shifty:

I up your Chemical Plant Zone with the far more awesome Metropolis Zone:

However, the winner of the thread is obviously Castlevania. Every song on every Castlevania game is awesome, especially when covered by rock bands ¬_¬

Agreed on the Castlevania comment, any and all covers of Clockwork are amazing without fail.

The Sonic game with the best soundtrack was always Sonic Chaos. Proof? ...Well I cant find any music on Youtube right now, but the Mecha Green Hill Zone and Eletric Egg zones were da shizznle.

But as for the game with the best soundtrack its Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube. Hands down. Behold:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtWj4bStOY&...feature=related - The regular battle music which then links into...

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Tx3DWeQcU&...feature=related - The boss music.

Yeah, I'm in with GTA all the way. The licensed music was what actually got me into the series to begin with, and I still love the juxtaposition of doing drive-bys while listening to Willie Nelson sing "Crazy."

SSX 3 is another great one, and I still dig pulling out Amplitude just to kick back and listen to the tracks. Which is about all I can do, since some of the later songs have me pulling my hair out. But it's all worth it whenever I pop back to the first set and go to town on "Cherry Lips" by Garbage.