Official EURO 2008 Thread

alldaws1

Personally I'd rather see Gomis go than Malouda.

That's what you would like to see, but do you think it'll happen. I don't see the coach having the balls to also leave out Malouda, who plays for one of the biggest teams in the world. I don't think Malouda is really that good but still good enough to be called up.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he said he'd play for Spain ahead of Serbia quite a long time ago I believe.

And if the coach has any common sense, he would leave out Malouda who has had a poor season ahead of Gomis whose done well. Should be in on ability but not merit as everyone knows. At the same time though, they probably won't start much - and we all know coaches pick off merit >_<

Spain left Bojan out aswell who I assume has opted to play for Spain as his native country seeing as they mentioned him alongside Raul being left out.

Yes, Bojan has already played for Spain. Bojan said he's extremely tired, so he's prefers not to play the Euro Cup, that's part of the reason he wasn't called up.

It occurs to me that Domenech is an idiot. Where's Clichy and Sagna? The best left and right-backs in the Premiership (arguably) have been left out of his squad, yet Thuram and Abidal get in? He's an idiot

It occurs to me that Domenech is an idiot. Where's Clichy and Sagna? The best left and right-backs in the Premiership (arguably) have been left out of his squad, yet Thuram and Abidal get in? He's an idiot

Wow, I didn't even think about Clichy when I saw the list, not because he's not good but simply 'cause I forgot. You're right, Clichy should be France's number one left back at the moment instead of the old Thuram. Abidal is good too though. Sagna, I don't know....I think he should at least be called up.

Wow, I didn't even think about Clichy when I saw the list, not because he's not good but simply 'cause I forgot. You're right, Clichy should be France's number one left back at the moment instead of the old Thuram. Abidal is good too though. Sagna, I don't know....I think he should at least be called up.

I don't know if you forgot about him or what, but there's no way Clichy should be ahead of Evra in any team.

Well, its debatable. I'd say there's plenty of people who would say Clichy was better than Evra, and vice versa - and probably from all camps as opposed to Man Utd fans + people who like Man Utd more than Arsenal vs. Arsenal fans + people who like Arsenal more than Man Utd.

Personally, I think Clichy deserves it. And it's a shame he didn't called up.

But to say there's no way Clichy should be ahead of Evra in any team is laughable to be fair.

But to say there's no way Clichy should be ahead of Evra in any team is laughable to be fair.

It depends on so many things obviously -- mostly how the team plays. If you have an attacking team like Arsenal, where the backs basically operate as semi-wingers Clichy is better than Evra hands down. Maybe Evra is better than Clichy if you need a pure defender. Personally I like players like Clichy and everytime I saw him play Champions League he was defensively solid and splendid going forward. France has the right kind of players to use an attacking tactic, so Clichy wouldn't have been out of place at all.

Clichy and Evra have both been fantastic this season, it's hard to say who's been the better of the two. Then you have Abidal who was playing left back when France finished runners up in the World Cup, wasn't he? He was in the first group game anyway. Given that he's the first choice (however he's been performing at club level aside) you can only have one as backup really because neither of them can play anywhere else. I'd probably choose Evra over Clichy too, Clichy's just unlucky that there's an equally as immense left back in the same league as him with more experience.

Lilian Thuram is 36. He's the last remainder of the Euro 96 generation that included the likes of Zidane and Desailly. :( I liked that team a lot.

He and Henry are the only remaining players from the World Cup 98 team as well IIRC.

EDIT: Silvestre left out also.

Edited by metalman