Official EURO 2008 Thread

alldaws1

I think we had a thread for the qualifying stages but I don't think we have an official one for the Euro 2008 tournament next month.

A few squads have already been announced with the big news being Maniche being ommitted from Portugal's team and Henrik Larsson coming out of international retirement to be included in the Swedish line-up. There's also the news that Tomas Rosicky will miss the tournament because of a knee injury. There was rumours that Pavel Nedved would come out of international retirement to replace him but that's not happening.

So, who's everyone backing with England not in the tournament, who do people think will win it, who will get the Golden Boot etc? At the moment I think France will go all the way and I'm picking Torres, Toni or Klose to get the Golden Boot. I really don't have a preferred team since none of the home nations are in it.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a few months after England went out I wasn't particularly fussed, but now I'm really looking forwards to it. Going to be quality getting home from work just as the majority of group games kick off, much better than the World Cup where I missed a lot of good games because of the mid-afternoon start.

I want Spain to win it because of the Liverpool connection, although really I'd settle for a tournament that'll be remembered for the football rather than referees/cheating etc.

I would like a team that hasn't won it yet to win. Croatia and Portugal probably have the best chance out of those. I've got a feeling France or Germany will win though. I'm tipping Toni for golden boot. He always seems to take it to another level in international matches.

Does anyone think there'll be any major upsets from the group stage? Like in the World Cup I think Czech Republic might struggle to get through but I can't see any others. Of course, one of Italy, France & Netherlands has to go out but I can only see that being Netherlands.

I'm really pleased that England aren't in as it may finally mean that ITV will go five minutes without hearing from the England team hotel. Seriously, every game was interrupted by about ten interviews from the tea ladys about how the boys were getting on... Ugh.

Also, I think this is the tournament that Ronaldo breaks free of his only major critism. I can see him doing it in all of the big games that Portugal play.

Larsson retired from international football in 2002 and 2006. He's now saying he wants to play on past Euro 2008 as well.

I don't get why he retired anyways. He's still good and I think nothing is better than playing on a major tournament. He's playing it smart though, let the team do the hard jobs (qualifying), then come back for the big tournies as a hero. Also, yeah, I think the Netherlands are fucked as much as I would like to think otherwise. Fuckin' Seedorf has called off for the Euro Cup, asswipe.

I support no-one, as my team will always be England. However, I can see many teams win it. Either the money is on Italy, France or Germany, or an outsider like Croatia or Romania could sneak in.

I won't bother with Spain because every tournament they can do it and every tournament they fuck up. So unless they actually prove something to me, I don't see them getting anything.

I don't see Russia as having a chance at all. Not in a group that also has Spain, Sweden and Greece, I can see them being eliminated without a win. Croatia are probably a good darkhorse, I could see them sneaking into the semi-finals but no further. Then again, who would have predicted to Greece to win the last one?

I'd hardly say Croatia are an underdog. They were in the 2nd pot (Behind only the hosts, former champiosn and Netherlands) and ahead of Italy/France/other's.

Looking at the groups I see...

Group A

Portugal & really any of the other three depending on how they play. I'll say the Swiss to go through thanks to being home, bu it's too hard to tell.

Portugal

Switzerland

Czech Republic

Turkey

Group B

Croatia & Germany should advance pretty easily, although Croatia isn't all that great away from home usually. I doubt Austria would have even qualified and Poland seem to just be there. Even with the home advantage, I don't see them moving through.

Germany

Croatia

Poland

Austria

Group C

Jesus, horrible draw here. I actually thought Romania looked good, but this group is just sick. I'll say Italy & Netherlands go through, but really a terrible draw for Romania after winning their group.

Italy

Netherlands

France

Romania

Group D

If Russia were to be stuck somewhere, this isn't a bad place. Sweden & Greece are very beatable teams and Spain are Spain. So yeah, I'll go crazy here and pick Russia to sneak into the Knockout stages.

Spain

Russia

Sweden

Greece

Knockout Stages:

Portugal vs. Croatia

Not the match I would like, but this will probably be the end for Croatia. Portugal are really good and will have a load of momentum at this point

Germany vs. Switzerland

Being in Austria, Switzerland will lose their small home advantage and lose to a team that is better than them anyways.

Italy vs. Russia

Thus ends Russia. Italy are good for at least the Semi-Finals

Netherlands vs. Spain

Tough call, but I'll say Spain surprise us and win.

Semi-Finals:

Portugal vs. Germany

Portugal will get a narrow win, and save us from Nazi super powers.

Italy vs. Spain

I'll say Spain. No seriously, Spain.

Finals:

Portugal vs. Spain

And NOW we get the choke. Spain will be favorites (And they should be) but will somehow lose in spectacular fashion, giving Portugal that elusive hardware they've been seeking.

Now watch as everything I predicted happening falls apart and Austria wins it all :shifty:

Croatia are underdogs if you're talking about them winning the whole thing. There's 9 teams in the tournament ranked higher than them in FIFA's world rankings. If they were put in Romania's place they'd have no chance. But with a relatively comfortable group and the chance to get some momentum heading into the knockout stages they're a decent outside bet. I think they could sneak into the semi-finals if they can make it to the quarters and avoid Portugal. Stick them in the other side of the bracket, though, and I don't think they'd have a chance at beating France, Italy, Netherlands or Spain.