Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Chelsea captain John Terry has been cleared to play against Manchester United on Sunday after his appeal against a red card proved successful.

Terry was sent off for a foul on Manchester City striker Jo, but a Football Association hearing upheld Chelsea's claim of wrongful dismissal.

The England skipper had been set to miss three games after being dismissed for serious foul play.

More to follow.

What a joke.

Can I make an appeal to the FA and have my fantasy points back that I lost for that red card? >_>

I only saw the goals and Gomes was lol.

On the red issue, if I'm up-to-date with the rules.... red cards cannot be downgraded to a yellow, and so the only way Terry could have his red removed was if the challenge didn't warrant a yellow. So it should have stood. But of course, he plays for Chelsea.

I only saw the goals and Gomes was lol.

On the red issue, if I'm up-to-date with the rules.... red cards cannot be downgraded to a yellow, and so the only way Terry could have his red removed was if the challenge didn't warrant a yellow. So it should have stood. But of course, he plays for Chelsea.

That's right. So the FA have basically condoned what he did.

So, what's the difference between Tottenham and the Star of David?

The star of David has six points.

What's the difference between Chelsea and the Star of David?

The star of David has six points.... :mellow:

What's the difference between Hull and Tottenham?

The star of David.

So, what's the difference between Tottenham and the Star of David?

The star of David has six points.

What's the difference between Chelsea and the Star of David?

The star of David has six points.... :mellow:

What's the difference between Hull and Tottenham?

The star of David.

What's the difference between Hull and Hell?

More people would like to live in Hell.

For all those complaining about John Terry, it was a bullshit call, so I'm glad it has been rescinded. The problem is, they're going to have to be careful in the future with other appeals, as people will now be all too quick whinge when Terry gets off for what he did, and other peoples appeals fail.

But yeah, I think common sense was used, especially as it seemed a bit of a joke that they tried to pass the red off as for serious foul play, rather than the more obvious explanation of Halsey thinking Terry was last man.

The Football Association says Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie will receive no further punishment for breaking the leg of Hull striker Craig Fagan.

Guthrie will now serve a three-match ban for being sent off in Saturday's Premier League match at St James' Park.

Fagan's left leg was fractured by Guthrie's wild kick in stoppage time during the Magpies' 2-1 home defeat.

However, the FA revealed it could only take further action if it levelled a fresh charge against the player.

A spokesman said: "Every sending-off carries an automatic sanction under the current regulations.

"The FA doesn't have the power to extend automatic suspensions.

"The only circumstances in which we could take any further action would be to issue an additional charge against a player.

"This occurs only in exceptional cases, such as Ben Thatcher's challenge on Pedro Mendes in 2006."

Thatcher, then at Manchester City, was handed an eight-match FA ban with another 15 games suspended for two years in 2006 after a challenge which left Portsmouth's Mendes concussed and requiring neurological tests.

However, the FA spokesman also confirmed that an ongoing review of their disciplinary procedures could see a sliding scale introduced to increase punishments for serious offences.

He said: "We are currently reviewing disciplinary procedures with a view to potential changes for next season and a sliding scale for red-card offences is one of the options under consideration."

Fagan was running down the clock as Hull closed out victory when Guthrie, 21, ran several yards to scythe him down by the touchline.

Hull manager Phil Brown urged the FA to take further action against the former Liverpool player, claiming an automatic three-match ban was "insufficient punishment".

Professional Footballers' Association chief Gordon Taylor added that Guthrie's actions were "not acceptable".

Guthrie has since apologised, insisting he is not a dirty player, but Fagan faces at least six weeks on the sidelines.

Guthrie will miss the Premier League clashes with West Ham and Blackburn, plus Tottenham's Carling Cup visit to St James' Park.

Fucking nonsense. They should have kicked the little shit's arse.