Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I still don't view them as a 'big club' in the sense of the countries biggest clubs-probably because I've seen both them and Portsmouth in the Championship. It's nothing new to me to see these two teams a division lower, it would be for Newcastle.

Looks like Martin Laursen is going to retire next week :(

That's a real shame, always liked him as a player. :(

And 1PW, how would you define a 'big club' then? I know we had a brief spell in the second tier but we have been in 14 of the 16 seasons the Premiership has been running and since I got into football Blackburn were in the top flight then and I don't think you are older (:() than me so I don't see how it is 'not that new' to see us as a second tier side in this day and age. I know this sounds like an attack, it isn't, it's curosity and fanboy-dom coming out of me. Given recent (let's say since 1992 because that's when football was invented >_>) history I don't see how we would fall outside the top 20 clubs in England.

I'm probably going to Blackburn vs. West Brom, which is all well and good. Except it's Sunday 24th and 4pm Kick off. And it's my birthday the day before... so... hopefully i can go out on Saturday and get back in time to go out on Sunday.

Either way.. come on Blackburn even though it should all be decided by then. It will still be fun.

I'm probably going to Blackburn vs. West Brom, which is all well and good. Except it's Sunday 24th and 4pm Kick off. And it's my birthday the day before... so... hopefully i can go out on Saturday and get back in time to go out on Sunday.

Either way.. come on Blackburn even though it should all be decided by then. It will still be fun.

Mods, IAceI's account has been hacked!

In my mind Blackburn are a big club and a Prem team.

I love how you say "a feat only matched by 3 other clubs" though like Blackburn set the bar. Not only matched but surpassed I think you'll find :P Not an attack here either but just tickled me that's all.

Looks like Martin Laursen is going to retire next week :(

That's a real shame, always liked him as a player. :(

And 1PW, how would you define a 'big club' then? I know we had a brief spell in the second tier but we have been in 14 of the 16 seasons the Premiership has been running and since I got into football Blackburn were in the top flight then and I don't think you are older (:() than me so I don't see how it is 'not that new' to see us as a second tier side in this day and age. I know this sounds like an attack, it isn't, it's curosity and fanboy-dom coming out of me. Given recent (let's say since 1992 because that's when football was invented >_>) history I don't see how we would fall outside the top 20 clubs in England.

I know it's not an attack mate-it's just my mentality I guess, both of those sides were Division 1 teams when I first started watching football (admittedly this was immediately after Blackburn were relegated), but as a young kid at the time all the Premier teams were massive compared to everyone else, and it sorta sticks now. Well, all of them except Bradford <_<

It is Pompey more so than Blackburn, because they were quite a poor Division 1 side until Harry Redknapp entered the fray, and they've not been a top half team much in the Prem, I've just never viewed Blackburn as a very big club, more on the same level as Bolton & Fulham. Smaller Premier League clubs who overachieve every now and then. 'Big' clubs to me are Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Villa, Spurs, Newcastle, Middlesbrough & West Ham. That sounds absurd mind, as West Ham were a Championship team a lot more recently than Blackburn. It's just my long-standing mentality with football teams.

They are, without doubt, utterly massive compared to my own team though!

Well, yeah we are bigger than Doncaster! :P

I would say most of those teams you mentioned as big clubs are fair enough and bigger than Blackburn, Boro aside. It's our fanbase that alot of people mark us down poorly on and yes it's less than most top flight sides for many reasons which I won't get into unless you really want me to. Then again most sides have seen their average attendance drop this season I saw in an article a couple of months ago. Ironic that Bolton, another team who get slagged off for poor turn-out, are one of the very few who have seen their numbers rise. Then again free away coaches and such do help.

Anyway, I see your point even if I don't really agree with it. But would you place us as one of the top 20 in the country?

I remember VERY clearly the first Premier League season and I remember completing the Panini sticker album - the only year I've managed it. The first Premiership season basically coincided with my first year at secondary school (17 years ago! wow!)

Therefore there are teams from that season I see as big teams even if they aren't now.

The season finished: Man Utd, Aston Villa, Norwich, Blackburn, QPR, Liverpool, Sheff Weds, Tottenham, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wimbledon, Everton, Sheff Utd, Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton, Oldham, Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Notts Forest.

In that order.

For me, QPR, Sheff Weds, Coventry, Southampton and Leeds are all Premier League clubs, maybe even Palace and Forest....As well as the seven clubs who have never been out of the Premier League. West Ham, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Sunderland aren't really.

But for some 50 year old geezer Blackpool are a huge club.

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas has been charged with two counts of improper conduct by the Football Association following his behaviour against Hull City in the FA Cup.

The Gunners midfielder was accused of spitting at Tigers assistant manager Brian Horton in the aftermath of Hull's 2-1 quarter-final defeat at Emirates Stadium.

Hull boss Phil Brown maintained he saw Fabregas spit towards Horton in the tunnel at the end of the match.

Fabregas denied any wrongdoing in the incident but, after receiving evidence from both clubs, the FA has charged the Spain international.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5232672,00.html

Naughty boy Cesc.

I remember VERY clearly the first Premier League season and I remember completing the Panini sticker album - the only year I've managed it. The first Premiership season basically coincided with my first year at secondary school (17 years ago! wow!)

Therefore there are teams from that season I see as big teams even if they aren't now.

The season finished: Man Utd, Aston Villa, Norwich, Blackburn, QPR, Liverpool, Sheff Weds, Tottenham, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wimbledon, Everton, Sheff Utd, Coventry, Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton, Oldham, Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Notts Forest.

In that order.

For me, QPR, Sheff Weds, Coventry, Southampton and Leeds are all Premier League clubs, maybe even Palace and Forest....As well as the seven clubs who have never been out of the Premier League. West Ham, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Sunderland aren't really.

But for some 50 year old geezer Blackpool are a huge club.

I'd argue that.

Newcastle arrived in the Premiership during it's second year and immediately finished third in the league. The following year they finished sixth before challenging for the title two years in a row. After that we also qualified for the Champion's League another three times. Whilst we have been in the shit before this is the first season we've really looked like going down and will be the first time in sixteen years we haven't been in the Premiership. I'd say after spending 16 out of 17 seasons in the Premiership, that we are most definately a Premiership club. We may not have won anything but until the last five years or so (since the rise of Chelsea) years we were always a team that could pop up in that top four and it wasn't that much of a shock.

Either way, we'll most likely be a Championship club next year so this whole argument is pointless. :(

Well, yeah we are bigger than Doncaster! :P

I would say most of those teams you mentioned as big clubs are fair enough and bigger than Blackburn, Boro aside. It's our fanbase that alot of people mark us down poorly on and yes it's less than most top flight sides for many reasons which I won't get into unless you really want me to. Then again most sides have seen their average attendance drop this season I saw in an article a couple of months ago. Ironic that Bolton, another team who get slagged off for poor turn-out, are one of the very few who have seen their numbers rise. Then again free away coaches and such do help.

Anyway, I see your point even if I don't really agree with it. But would you place us as one of the top 20 in the country?

Yes I would, because surely the top 20 in the country are those sides occupying the Premier League right now, simple as that. If I were going to judge it on other factors such as success in the last couple of decades, time spent in the Premiership, fanbase size etc. then I'd count them among the top 20, yes, along with some traditionally big clubs like Leeds & Sheffield Wednesday rather than Premier League new boys or short-stayers Stoke, Hull, Bradford & Birmingham.

What do you mean? Right now, they're not a Premier League team, and there are 20 teams higher than them on the ladder, so I don't count them as a 'top 20' side. Next season that will of course change, as three teams will drop out of that and be replaced by Wolves and two others.

There's a difference between a "top" club and a "big" club. Top is defined by league position in the last couple of seasons. A big club is defined by their current position, fan base, financial support, their history and their exposure in the press.

Stoke are more of a top club than Leeds/Forest/Leicester, but we're bigger than Stoke.

My "classic" Premier League clubs would basically be the 96/97 season lineup. That's when I first started to really get into it, not to mention I played FIFA Soccer Manager 97 to death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Premier_Le...1996%E2%80%9397

Pretty good. 97/98 was a weird bastard season though. Barnsley, Bolton and Crystal Palace. yuck.

There's a difference between a "top" club and a "big" club. Top is defined by league position in the last couple of seasons. A big club is defined by their current position, fan base, financial support, their history and their exposure in the press.

Stoke are more of a top club than Leeds/Forest/Leicester, but we're bigger than Stoke.

To be honest, you could debate what makes a 'big' club all day long, I've done it too many times before and everyone's view is different. Some won't view Leeds as a bigger club than Stoke, but some will.