Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Barton hit by Magpies suspension

Midfielder Joey Barton has been suspended by Newcastle.

Barton was sent off for a lunging tackle on Xabi Alonso in the defeat at Liverpool on Sunday - a challenge boss Alan Shearer described as "stupid."

And a newspaper report has since suggested the 26-year-old was involved in a row with Shearer after the game.

A Magpies statement said: "Joey Barton has been suspended from the club until further notice. The club will be making no further comment at this time."

Barton's red card means he would have missed Newcastle's final three games of the season because of an automatic Football Association ban.

Sunday's appearance was his first since 28 January following an injury.

It was only the ninth time Barton, who has had a troubled career both on and off the pitch, has played this season.

More to follow.

Credit: bbc.co.uk/sport

Harper's a decent back up Goalkeeper. I think I've mentioned in the thread before when Given left I thought we were going down.

Is there a definite reason why everyone hates Newcastle? Is it just because we have a load of fans that can't string a sentence together and think we're still a top 5 club? I've always wondered why there's so much hate.

3 reasons.

1) You're possibly the only set of fans more delusional than us.

2) The two teams everyone has an irrational dislike of is Leeds and Newcastle, I support Leeds and thus have to have an irrational dislike of Newcastle to accomodate for that.

3) There is no 3.

Edited by Footjob Fever

2) The two teams everyone has an irrational dislike of is Leeds and Newcastle

I support Man United, yet like Leeds a lot even though they are (were) rivals... and like Newcastle quite a bit, even though I think they're shit, so not everyone... :P .

I used to live in Leeds and supporting Man United wasn't the safest thing to do there v_v...

I got pissed one night and met a load of Newcastle fans.. one of em got off with the girl I've fancied for ages.

This is why I hate Newcastle

Newcastle have always annoyed me with their "We are the best fans in the land" shite, they might get a good crowd but to me that doesn't make them the best. Someone like Gordon Sorfleet, a Bury fan, who put at least 60 grand of his own money (he isn't rich) to keep the club going, help fans to get to games, provides commentry for those who can't get there and countless other jobs round the club are among the "best" fans. He even got an UEFA award for his work, fan of the year ironicially enough. That kind of dedication beats just turning up for home games.

Also, Newcastle's treatment of Bobby Robson after he got them into the top 5 for three seasons running only to sack him at the start of the next season. Shocking.

I dislike Newcastle because.... Well I don't really. I just think they deserve relegation on the basis of being shitty.

Edited by HoboObohHbob

I don't have an irrational hatred for either Leeds or Newcastle. My reasons are very rational. They're an example of clubs who act bigger than they are, with fans who think that they are massive. The word delusional is a correct one, I have a Newcastle-supporting mate who told me the other week that they 'deserve to be in the Champion's League'. How he worked that one out, I don't know :lol: