Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

GD of United = +43, Liverpool GD = +46. It's only 3 goals better than ours I don't get how it can be claimed they have a superior goal difference?! Superior in my mind suggest that Liverpool have got a GD of 10 or more goals better than us not 3!

United haven't been great attacking wise this year but they have been fantastic in defence and it doesn't matter if you're not scoring that many goals if you've got a tight defence. I think United deserve the title this season because they've played well and earnt it. And there is much more to this United team than 'luck' they have their fair share of it but they don't give up and that's what is key. Rather than being down and out because they're a goal or two down they rally themselves and pull back into the match.

I don't think a team that reached the Semi Finals of the FA Cup, won the League Cup, are close to securing the Premiership and in the Champions League final got all that by just being lucky, I suggest that somewhere in there they might well have played decently :o

Well obviously their goal difference is superior. It is bigger after all. The extent of the difference between the two numbers makes no difference at all. Even if Liverpool's goal difference was 43.5 compared to Man Utd's 43 (I know it's not possible.) Liverpool would still have a superior goal difference.

Anyway, I don't really like either team. I don't hate Liverpool though.

Edited by metalman

I just don't understand the excuses at all. Like I said, there's a reason for 38 games a season and there should never be any bullshit excuse at the end of it, these 'Pool fans are starting to sound like fucking Sheffield United when they cried over being relegated, despite deserving to be. We all know Liverpool have been great, but they've been just as lucky as United if we're going to start calling people lucky. The amount of times they've snatched a win in the 90+ minute, good god. Some people call it luck, some call it great spirit, either way both United and Liverpool have done it at times. And bringing up the Villa game is great, because it wasn't luck and it was actually a game that proved how much we wanted the title. We looked down and out yet managed to somehow battle back and refuse to give up, we've fought as hard as any team this season and it's games like those that eventually win you the title (Which in reality, pretty much has). You pushed us close and were fantastic at times, we look like we'll win the league though and that makes us the best team in England for the entire season, it's really that simple. Using excuses like 'Liverpool have drawn too much' is a joke, if they've drawn too much, then that's their own fault. Not to sound like a dick, but if they've drawn too many and that's the reason people are saying they haven't won the title, then no, they're not good enough this season. I just cant believe anyone would try to use an excuse. United have had more games and arguably just as many injuries as Liverpool have throughout the season (Rooney, Brown, Hargreaves, Rafael, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans). For me Liverpool were great, I hate them, but it's the truth that they pushed us right to the end. And I wouldn't say we're an invincible team, but this is one of the first United teams in a long time that I believe can overcome nearly anything and believe they can win anything. There's a reason we're in the Champions League Final and winning the Premiership, it's not because we're 'lucky' or got 'breaks' in the season, it's because we've been as good as any team in all of Europe throughout the entire season, if not the best.

I'm happy if we finally win the league, but I wont be boasting over it. It's been a great season with numerous twists and turns, so I cant even imagine how brilliant the next one will be once Liverpool add a few players to their team and Chelsea make numerous changes.

Using excuses like 'Liverpool have drawn too much' is a joke, if they've drawn too much, then that's their own fault.

What the fuck are you talking about? We haven't won the title because we've drawn too many games, that's a fact. It's being used as an 'excuse' because it's the reason why we're second instead of champions. You need to stop taking everything so personally.

Yeah, Liverpool have had a good season no doubt. When was the last time they ran the leaders so close that they didn't win the title until the penultimate week? I think they were way off of Arsenal in 2001/02 (could be wrong) and that's the only time they've finished 2nd in the Premier League. There are definitely more positives than negatives this season, I mean, 2 league defeats is terrific, it's just the amount of draws against teams like Stoke and Fulham that have let them down.

Tevez affair sparks war of words

A war of words has broken out between Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Tevez's adviser over the striker's future.

Ferguson said a deal to keep Tevez at Old Trafford after his loan expires in the summer had been put on the table.

Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian confirmed a meeting had taken place with chief executive David Gill.

But he added: "It is categorically untrue Manchester United made an offer to try to persuade Carlos to stay."

The Argentine proved his worth to United on Wednesday night as he scored in the 2-1 win over Wigan, a victory that moved the club to within one point of a third consecutive Premier League title.

Tevez, 25, has hinted he will leave as he has not been offered a permanent deal but Ferguson said talks had begun.

"He knows I want him to stay. We spoke today and chief executive David Gill has had meetings with him," added Ferguson.

"We have given him an offer and we hope he accepts. The problem is we are not negotiating with a football club."

Tevez's registration is kept by Joorabchian and he claimed United have not taken up the option to buy Tevez after his two-year loan deal expires. A spokesman for Joorabchian said: "In 2007 Manchester United agreed a two-year loan deal for Carlos Tevez and at the same time agreed the terms that would make the transfer permanent.

"They have not taken up that option."

Last weekend, Tevez told newspapers he expected to be leaving Old Trafford in the summer because he had not yet received the offer of a contract and Joorabchian backed up the player's comments.

"He's been disappointed at the way he's been treated - he shouldn't be in this situation," stated Joorabchian.

"He did enough to warrant a contract last year but they decided not to do that and to go for other players and in January he felt he might be offered a contract and he wasn't, so now I think he feels not as good as when he first joined.

"The fact of the matter is Carlos hasn't asked for any amount of money and hasn't been offered any amount of money - that's where we are at the moment."

Team-mate Wayne Rooney believes Ferguson should make Tevez a permanent player.

He commented: "He is a world-class player and you always want to see him playing here.

"I enjoy playing with him so hopefully he can stay.

"He has a lot of energy and he has scored a lot of vital goals for us this season. His work rate is brilliant so hopefully he will sign. I would like him to."

Why do I get the feeling that he won't be signed up?

I read last week that we have only lost 2 points all season against the bottom 10 at that point the season. And those were against Newcastle on the first day of the season. That to me is why we will (probably) win the league. We haven't neccessarily played the best, most entertaining, free-scoring football at times (nine 1-0 wins this season says a lot) but the team has been very efficient and dug out the results which has been the difference maker.

I think the fact that Liverpool took 6 points away from us and are still 6 points behind is very significant. I don't think Liverpool will be drawing as many games next season as they have in this one and if they can turn the draws into wins then the title will be a lot closer for them next season. Their record against the big teams is already very good and all that is really missing is to be as efficient as United and Chelsea are against the teams lower down the league. Master that and they could be champions.

It depends on who they buy in the next transfer window, but I do feel that Liverpool may have blown the best chance they might get for a while. If I'm proved wrong, fine, I just feel that Liverpool will still lack that cutting edge next season, especially if they don't get people who can really make a difference when Gerrard or Torres go missing/injured.

Liverpool have a better chance than Chelsea if both teams simply retained their current squads for another year. We've got an increasing number of players heading north of 30, and I daresay we need at least 3 decent signings in the summer just to stay on the level.

If our next manager can keep Malouda playing as well as he is now, I'd keep him. I've mainly got the likes of Deco, Ballack, and possibly Carvalho in my sights here.

Also Kalou, because even Hiddink can't prevent him from being shite. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Malouda's been a revelation these past few weeks.

Can't be arsed getting into the whole Man Utd/Liverpool debate. Man Utd have been the better team and that's why they're 90 minutes from another league title, but there's no doubt Liverpool have pushed them close and have played some phenomenal football if not just a bit too late. I reckon Liverpool have been better as they chase Man Utd then when they were sat at the top of the league before Man Utd stepped it up a bit and took the lead.

I wanted Man Utd to win the title this year. And I enjoy watching them, as well as Arsenal and Chelsea. Hell, now that it's becoming the norm I'm starting to accept Liverpool and their generally annoying as hell fans and have loved watching them play these past couple of months or so. What was once a two man team has seen Benayoun, Mascherano and others all step up and be counted for and show that you right off the rest of the Liverpool team outside of Gerrard and Torres at your peril.

I'm not going to buy the Gerrard/Torres needed to play more argument. Injuries are part of the season and Man Utd, Chelsea and especially Arsenal can all be testament to that - while yes, Gerrard/Torres playing more may have resulted in Liverpool winning more matches, we can't exactly say that for sure nor can we use it to say Liverpool will win the title.

I think with some small adjustments, Liverpool are going to have another good season next year which is what they need. Even if they don't win it, if you count this year as the first real time in a while they have been genuine title contenders I think they just need to challenge again. Even if they finish 2nd I think there's still a good chance they will have progressed rather than gone backwards.

I just hope Arsenal come back stronger and Chelsea put together a team with a bit more about them. I don't think we're ever really going to get it but I'd love to see a real 4 horse race where one team doesn't seem to fall early on and never recover.

And that's me not getting involved <_<

Just voicing my opinions. I think Liverpool are in for another good season next year and I'm actually going to enjoy watching it now. I was indifferent to Benitez but I've really warmed to him lately, he's made a few poor signings but who hasn't, he's also made a few good signings and he sticks to his guns with his policies (ironic how I read an article in the times about how Man Utd's success is down to "rotation, rotation, rotation".) I'd like to see Liverpool sign a few more talented players so they have that bit extra strength in depth if they do suffer a few injuries.

Next season will be another fun season with exceptional football, surprises and of course - stupid, blind and biased fans. It's why we love it right? And apparently.. it's why I want to write about it as a career <_<

Edited by IAceI

What happened to Quaresma? I haven't seen him for weeks.

God knows. He's been in some Reserves matches but not even all of them. I guess if he's going back to Italy in a few weeks and you don't need him in the first team there's no point playing him anywhere.

If Ballack leaves Chelsea they will stop being my favourite top four team.

How about he doesn't leave but we still get someone better to play in his place? Would that be good enough? ¬_¬

Robben > Zenden.

...He says, ranking former Chelsea left wingers. :shifty:

Not sure where to place Duff in that equation. I used to like him but I think my estimations of him have just been Newcastle'd.