The All-Purpose Watchmen Thread *SPOILERS*

GoGo Yubari

Let's voting!  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate it?

2. 2. This poll goes to eleven.

• Dammit GoGo we're never letting you do one of these again.
  3. 3. The length of the movie was...

• Too long!
    • Too short!
    • Juuuust right.
  4. 4. I, ________, recommend that you...

• Buy this movie on DVD the very second it comes out, in a Moloch the Mystic costume (because everyone else will be Rorschach).
    • Put it on your Netflix queue or just rent it from a store if you're that draconian.
    • Watch it on TV, the TNN edit should be phenominal.
    • Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I don't what sold me more. The start of the trailer which sees Jon trapped...or the Nite Owl flying machine that comes out the water. And then constant clips of action that mirror the look of the comic book...

And then Doc Manhattan appears and my God he looks flipping amazing on film.

I'm curious to see how they're going to handle the story near it's climax but other than that it looks the beesknees.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the song used in the trailer a remix though? Because I remember when it came out before (on the soundtrack for one of the Batman movies, ironically) and it didn't sound the same. It's still pretty awesome, though.

It's like I said, it's a different version from "The End Is The Beginning Is The End". It's called "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning" and it's from TEITBITE's single CD. (Thank you wiki)

And just to clarify - both versions are on the aforementioned Batman & Robin soundtrack.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this trailer both times I went to see The Dark Knight, and was immediately interested in it. Since then, I've been contemplating ordering the graphic novel... and I just now finally gave in. I just picked it up on Amazon.com for $10.99 with free shipping. Woo! Can't wait to read it.

Isn't the song used in the trailer a remix though? Because I remember when it came out before (on the soundtrack for one of the Batman movies, ironically) and it didn't sound the same. It's still pretty awesome, though.

It's like I said, it's a different version from "The End Is The Beginning Is The End". It's called "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning" and it's from TEITBITE's single CD. (Thank you wiki)

And just to clarify - both versions are on the aforementioned Batman & Robin soundtrack.

Making it the best thing about Batman & Robin, by far.

Making it the best thing about Batman & Robin, by far.

Make that the only good thing about B&R <_<

• 3 months later...

Spoiler about the films ending for EVERYONE, not just those who haven't read the book...

Zack Snyder Confirms Non-Squid Ending in Watchmen Movie

In a ballsy move, Watchmen director Zack Snyder has risked a fan lynch mob and admitted that there will be NO giant psychic squid in his Watchmen movie.

In spite of Snyder's comments to reporters in August that his Watchmen movie would have very few changes from the graphic novel, reports from a test screening last month suggested that the film’s ending had a sans-seafood finish.

The altered ending replaced the giant squid alien attack with a simple nuclear holocaust. Fans have reacted with outrage, and many were skeptical the spoilers were for real. Rumors have been circulating saying that Warner Bros was testing alternate endings to test fan tolerance of an update for more "mainstream" audiences.

Finally, in an interview with Dark Horizons, Snyder confirmed that he had changed the ending of Watchmen, and shot down reports that he had filmed more than one.

“The fans, god love ‘em, they’re all up in arms about the squid,” said Snyder. “What they should be up in arms about are things like shooting the pregnant woman, ‘God is real and he’s American’, whether THAT’S in the movie. That’s my point of view, maybe I’m crazy.”

“The squid was not in the movie when I got the script, the squid was never in any draft that I saw,” continued Snyder. “My point is only that there was this elegant solution to the squid problem that I kind of embraced. I’m a fan of the thing as much as anyone, I was saying what are we going to do about this before I even read the script.”

In his defense Snyder adds, “The one thing that was cool was that anyone who had read the graphic novel who was at the screening rated the film ‘excellent’, for me I’m like ‘I’m done’.”

Still unanswered are questions that the giant squid ending aptly addressed. Fans want to know how a simple nuclear detonation, linked to the American Dr. Manhattan, would definitively end the cold war or cement a sense of world unity against a common foe--as did the faked alien attack.

Snyder confirmed that he only shot one ending to the film, ending rumors that the ending that was screening in Portland was one of a couple choices. Also, the second trailer that will be attached to Quantum of Solace features “a little bit more story” that will give you “a sense of the characters plight - ‘we were supposed to make the world a better place... what happened to the American Dream’”. He also confirmed a third trailer will be released early next year.

And my opinion...

... thank fuck. Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the squid, but it works in the comics, I could not see it translating well on film, though I am concerned that a nuclear war doesn't have the same effect as the entire point was that manking would have to unite against an outside threat. We'll see, I reserve judgment but I can see both good and bad points to this.

Also, new posters were released...

Here.

I like The Comedian one as well as Nite Owl and Silk Spectre, I LOVE Rorschach (seriously, it's like a visage of David Tennants Doctor crossed with The Question, which is how I tend to picture the character visually), Manhattan and Ozymandias just like nothing short of crap, I seriously don't like them, but considering I liked the original promo pics I'm hoping they're just poor images and will look better whilst in motion.

• 2 months later...

I seriously want to bang Spectre. My god. I'm up to chapter 10 in the comic, and it's the greatest thing I'd ever read in my life, the trailer looks wonderful and I'm so pumped for this, if it's anything less than TDK levels of wonderfulness, I shall kill everyone involved with the making of it. >_>

And to boot, it looks like the March release date might actually happen, given that Warner Bros. and FOX have been in talks since the last few days of 2008 apparently.

Seriously, between the Wrestler and Watchmen, movies that start with the letter 'W' couldn't get any better this year :shifty:

Okay I just watched the trailer on HOME and it's looking great for a comic book movie.

I think I shall go see it whenever it's out over here.

So even after TDK people are still doing that? Shame :(

I do yeah.

I also class movies as good for a "sports" movie or good for a "gangster" movie or good for a "fantasy" movie.

I pigeon hole all kinds of movies horribly and not just comic books. I love a good comic book me.

FOX and WB strike a deal:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090116/ap_en_...n_movie_lawsuit

LOS ANGELES – Fanboys rejoice! Rival studios say they have resolved their battle over the release of "Watchmen."

The release of the superhero flick had been in doubt for months as 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros. sparred in federal court over who had proper rights to the film. The studios say it will be released as scheduled on March 6.

Spokesmen for both companies released a statement Thursday night that the studios have resolved the dispute in a confidential agreement.

Settlement discussions ramped up after a judge decided last month that Warner Bros. had violated Fox's distribution interests by shooting the film.

Attorneys for both studios are scheduled to meet with U.S. District Judge Gary Allen Feess on Friday and discuss the agreement.

The statement said both studios "look forward with great anticipation" to the film's release.

• 2 weeks later...