NCAA Footbal 09 Season Thread

HailtotheYo

Too bad Cutcliffe isn't still with the team - hope he's having fun in the football wasteland that is Duke

I'd say that their 31-3 ass raping of Virginia would qualify as fun.

But yeah, one of my best friends is a huge Vols fan and wants to cry every Saturday because of the joke that has become Phil Fulmer coached Tennessee teams. It's really, really bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

AP Top 25

1. Oklahoma (43) 4-0 1,599

2. Alabama (21) 5-0 1,565

3. LSU 4-0 1,466

4. Missouri (1) 4-0 1,453

5. Texas 4-0 1,362

6. Penn State 5-0 1,252

7. Texas Tech 4-0 1,105

8. Brigham Young 4-0 1,098

9. USC 2-1 1,087

10. South Florida 5-0 1,035

11. Georgia 4-1 1,018

12. Florida 3-1 914

13. Auburn 4-1 860

14. Ohio State 4-1 829

15. Utah 5-0 713

16. Kansas 3-1 650

17. Boise State 3-0 549

18. Wisconsin 3-1 520

19. Vanderbilt 4-0 459

20. Virginia Tech 4-1 290

21. Oklahoma State 4-0 277

22. Fresno State 3-1 232

23. Oregon 4-1 199

24. Connecticut 5-0 126

25. Wake Forest 3-1 107

Edit: I like how copy/pasting on this site copies ALL of it, immediately linking to what the copied paste linked to and such. I think it can also copy pictures without needing you to post any URL or HTML. Very nice.

Edited by Zeel1

In all honesty, they're playing good enough ball to do it. Confidance isn't an issue anymore for them, and they're closing the gap athletically. The only problem, is that they haven't progressed past the point of "lapsing" to the old Vandy. They've been in this position before recently and then crashed the second half of the season. Their biggest obstacle is taking more steps forward. As long as they don't get blown out, or let the game get away from them they'll be fine. Am I picking the upset ? No ... will it surprise me ? No.

I consider Saturday's game at Purdue the game where we find out if Penn State is for real or not. What do the rest of yinz think? Is PSU a legitimate National Title contender or not?

If they can go in to West Lafayette and get a win, then maybe just maybe they are for real. Though I still have them losing to Ohio State. I originally had them at 9-3 with losses to Purdue, Wisconsin, and OSU so we'll see.

Also, I'm predicting a Pitt upset of South Florida this week, even though I realize it's not going to happen, I'm still calling it and holding out hope that I'm right.

Edited by Evil Chase K

... that's kinda what I was wondering. Not to pile on Notre Dame, but I would have thought last week's victory over Illonis (all be it was a night home game) would be more impressive then a victory over Purdue who as previously stated lost by two scores to the Irish.

However what the fuck do I know about college football? I picked USC and Florida to play in title game.

Anyone who's paid attention knows that I'm a lifelong Purdue guy...and with 30 years of reference to draw from, I can say that anyone who ever expects Purdue to be competitive with Ohio State, Penn State, or halfway decent Michigan and Notre Dame teams is on crack. If the game is at Purdue, they often come out to a decent start, and then become a bunch of spastic teenage girls. "LIKE, OMG, WE'RE TOTALLY WINNING!!! LOL!!" And then fumbles, picks, and missed tackles come out of nowhere and the second half becomes a massacre. If the game's on the road, there's usually not even a decent start and the team looks like a deer in headlights from the first play.

Purdue, during the Joe Tiller era, will usually hammer the Minnesotas and Northwesterns of the world (and even that's in doubt this year), but then psych themselves right out of games against the Big Ten's main three. I'll still watch the game, but don't really expect anything different.

Well the fact is, this is the Nittany Lions first road game against a somewhat competent team. Sure it's not going to be as tough as the game at Wisconsin (or at Ohio State), but this Lions team has yet to really be tested and the first road conference game of the year is, to me, their biggest test so far.

Honestly I don't see much of a difference in terms of talent from Illinois and Purdue.

Mr. Arelious Benn (sp?) says hello.

and yeah, I was trying to think of something Purdue had outside of Painter ..... and I'm still trying ...

They aren't horrible, but they certainly aren't anything to measure a team by. The fact that it's on the road, ok ... but the team you're going to play in that road venue has to be a decent threat in order for the "road" to matter, and I don't see Purdue on the road as being any more of, or as much of a threat as Illinois coming to "your house" ...

Mr. Arelious Benn (sp?) says hello.

and yeah, I was trying to think of something Purdue had outside of Painter ..... and I'm still trying ...

They aren't horrible, but they certainly aren't anything to measure a team by. The fact that it's on the road, ok ... but the team you're going to play in that road venue has to be a decent threat in order for the "road" to matter, and I don't see Purdue on the road as being any more of, or as much of a threat as Illinois coming to "your house" ...

Not my house, I'm a Pitt fan.

But anyway, I think for this year's Penn State team, it's the closest thing they've had to a test.

Double post time... well, a few hours apart:

Utah wins 31-28, after scoring 11 in the final two minutes. The Beavers can't hold off hurry up offenses.

Damn it, I was hoping for an upset there.

How often does a team upset another team two weeks in a row?