Official 2010 World Cup Qualifying Thread

alldaws1

I feel sorry for the referee because up until then he had a good game. The linesman had a clear view of it and didn't raise his flag at all.

Which also links in with the conspiracy theorists - as to why a replay of the goal was never shown.

Smells fishy alright.

Edited by ONO

Replay the game are people actually being serious about that? If we are going to start giving replays for every contentious decision made then we are going to end up with teams playing over 70 games a season! Or is it just to be reserved for Ireland? Should Scotland have been given a replay in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Italy when the Italians got a free-kick when their player fouled ours? In the 2006 World Cup, should Australia have been given a replay when the Italian player dived to get a penalty in the last minute? According to these comments then yes they probably should have.

Until we get a video ref who can scrutinise all these decisions then we are just going to have to accept that human error does occur. Henry seen a chance to try and take his side to the World Cup finals, the greatest competition in the world (and anyone who says they wouldn't have done the same is lying). Call him a cheat, call him scum, but I know 100% that Robbie Keane would have done the exact same thing at the other end of the park.

I know what you guys are going through, with the previously mentioned Scotland - Italy game, I know you have a lot of steam to blow off, but things like this add to what makes football the best sport in the world.

:/

• Like 1

and England vs West Germany in 1966. >_>

I completely sympathise with the Irish team and would've absolutely loved them to get through. I don't blame them for trying to get the match replayed since it's all they can do at this point, but there's no way it's going to happen. Although hopefully if it leads to some kind of video ref (very unlikely) or the officials behind the goals who might've spotted that (much more likely), then it might not be wasted breath after all.

They've replayed a game in 2005 for a referee error, so why not again?I don't think there has been a more blatant mistake with such serious reprecussions. It won't happen, I know that but we can always hope. Oh and if it were England in the situation, there would be much more of a fuss made and odds are they'd get more out of it too.

• Like 1

Hold on now don't tar us all with the same brush. I'm Irish and i agree was a shocking descision but then again how often does this happen every week in the english premiership or La liga or what ever giving us a replay would be wrong full stop, ya we got screwed but then again the ref could have given the french penalties in both legs of the tie and didn't so somehow it evens it out i think. What ever about the handbal there was offside in the 1st place that the linesman should have seen. Any way if anything comes out of this i hope it finally forces fifa to bring video technology. It is badly needed really at the this modern ere it's long long overdue, And i don't blame Henry at all it was an instictive thing to do and if doyle or keane had done the same i'd be saying the same thing.So we're out there's always the euro's and as for France they'll get hockeyed at the World Cup

Hold on now don't tar us all with the same brush. I'm Irish and i agree was a shocking descision but then again how often does this happen every week in the english premiership or La liga or what ever giving us a replay would be wrong full stop, ya we got screwed but then again the ref could have given the french penalties in both legs of the tie and didn't so somehow it evens it out i think. What ever about the handbal there was offside in the 1st place that the linesman should have seen. Any way if anything comes out of this i hope it finally forces fifa to bring video technology. It is badly needed really at the this modern ere it's long long overdue, And i don't blame Henry at all it was an instictive thing to do and if doyle or keane had done the same i'd be saying the same thing.So we're out there's always the euro's and as for France they'll get hockeyed at the World Cup

How often does handling the ball like that happen in the Premier League? I've never seen anything as blatant as that in my life.

The fact of the matter is they didn't deserve penalties because they weren't penalties.

They've replayed a game in 2005 for a referee error, so why not again?I don't think there has been a more blatant mistake with such serious reprecussions. It won't happen, I know that but we can always hope. Oh and if it were England in the situation, there would be much more of a fuss made and odds are they'd get more out of it too.

We moan when we lose to Brazil 1-0 with a weakened side. It's all we do anyway.

Hey at least Ireland would be in with a chance of winning the moaning World Cup.

Just accept it and move on.

At least we have a legitamate reason to complain, unlike England in '06 when Rooney deservedly got sent off for stamping, but of course Ronaldo made it happen by winking to Scolari. <_<

• Like 1

Shall we replay the 1986 World Cup quarter-final match between Argentina and England while we're at it?

I'm Australian but that was the first thing I thought of when I heard about this. If Ireland are granted a replay I shall write to FIFA DEMANDING this game be replayed as the pre-game entertainment for the World Cup Final